UPDATE- brown vaginal discharge @ 7 mo. (Vaginal Sloughing!?) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UPDATE- brown vaginal discharge @ 7 mo. (Vaginal Sloughing!?) UPDATE- brown vaginal discharge @ 7 mo. (Vaginal Sloughing!?)

Unread 03-21-2003, 06:55 PM
UPDATE- brown vaginal discharge @ 7 mo. (Vaginal Sloughing!?)

Well Gals,

I went to my doc today. I do not have a yeast infection. Doc also took a culture sample to grow in the lab for 36 hours to make sure. She didn't even see any extra white blood cells that would indicate any other infection.

She DID see lots of regular vaginal wall cell tissue sloughing off/ shedding. Lots and lots and lots inside me and on the swab slide. I'm also quite irritated and sore there. This is new since last week or so. I thought the white, clotty stuff this morning might have been a yeast infection without any odor...but no...it's vaginal cells.

She saw no more signs of any granulation tissue, which is a good thing. No explanation for the faint brown at the end of the day. Possible still healing from the silver nitrate.

I recently stopped progesterone for a week (it was building up) and lowered my estrogen. I am now returning to my full estrogen patch. I think maybe this vaginal shedding is hormonal. I'm only 32 and I guess my body's confused. Who knows.

Doc also took a vaginal estrogen swab test. I'd never heard of that. She said it's a great way to truly measure the estogen level there (how much is getting though the skin/patch and through the bloodstream and actually reaching the vaginal tissue).

Anyone ever heard of this vaginal sloughing? My search here turned up nothing. It's really painful and dry feeling with small, stickey, white clots. I actually had the same thing happen right after my surgery several months ago when I had cut my estrogen. My old Doc treated as a yeast infection without testing it and never talked about this cell shedding. That definately made the pain much worse. It eventually cleared up after a few weeks of increased estrogen and long-lasting lubricant.

Any info appreciated! A big to all my helpful sisters!

Peace,
Songsister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2003, 07:09 PM

((Songsister))

I have never heard of vaginal sloughing but it sounds very interesting in regards to your estrogen level etc. I am sorry you are still having these issues 7 mos post op. Your new GYN sounds like she is on top of getting you results though. Did you discuss the estrogen theory with her or did she have an indication whether it could be a result of low estrogen? Vaginal dryness is definitely a sign so I wonder if this is a severe case??

Please keep us posted, BTW: I like the verse in your sig.

Big s,
lenee
Unread 03-21-2003, 09:14 PM

((((Songsister)))) I'm so sorry you're having of all of these problems 7 months down the road

I've never heard of vaginal sloughing either however it does sound as though it could be mix of hormonal issue and continued healing Hopefully someone will come along soon with some insight

In the meantime, you might want to check out the Hormone Jungle message where you'll find lots of information regarding surgical menopause and HRT. Just Click Here to get to that forum. Another great source of information in that area is our sister site The Hormone Jungle. You can get there by clicking Here

Wishing you the best of luck and hoping that you find some relief real some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2003, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the support Dany and Lenee.

I did discuss the hormone theory with my doc. I think she must have been thinking of low estrogen because she wanted to do the vaginal estrogen level test. We mutually decided to wait for the lab result Mon. or Tues. and do more research in the meantime.

Hopefully someone will come along that has heard of it. One fo the things I've learned here at hystersisters; there's nothing I'm going through that it exclusive to me. Someone, somewhere can relate to it. We're all so different and yet our experiences can be so alike.

Peace,

Songsister
Unread 03-24-2003, 07:17 AM
Brown discharge

Have you had a hysteretocmy? I can not tell from your writing. Please let me known. I have had some spotting from my vaginal. I had a hysteretomy about 4 years ago. Dr. feels that I still have uterus cells.
Unread 03-24-2003, 12:28 PM

Hi Cree

Yes I have had a hysterectomy. You can see in the left column under the piano picture that my surgery date is listed as 8-6-2002. I notice yours says N/A...which means you haven't input your date for everyone to see.

You'll also notice that my signature line says TAH-BSO. Here at hystersisters that stands for Total Abdominal Hysterectomy - Bilateral Salpingo Oopherectomy (which means the uterus and both ovaries have been taken out).

You can also click on the profile button at the bottom of each posting to read more about each hystersister. I see when I click on yours that it is blank. If you click on mine you can read more about me and my surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about you remaining uterine tissue. Have you had another doc look at that? It seems unusual to have any left. Did you have endometriosis? Perhaps it's leftover endo cells. I'm pretty sure mine isn't, though.

Peace,

Songsister
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:07 PM
maybe I am like you

I too have had a weird discharge for quite a few weeks, just as you said, white stuff, itchy and feeling quite dry and irrated. Went to my doc today and he put me on birth control pills. I had a TAHwithRSO in Dec. Was fine until about 7 wks. after surgery then have been having lots of weird problems. Had a vaginal cuff infection, then what was diagnosed as a yeast infection (without doing a lab workup tho) then another cuff infection, then the white stuff again. This was a new doc today and he said that the white stuff was still there, but he wasn't sure if it was actually a yeast infection, so he is doing a culture. He never mentioned any "sloughing" though. So maybe I will have some answers shortly. He also put me on birth control pills to give me a steady supply of estrogen, as I had lots of endo and have been having some hormone issues of depression, crying, loss of libido, etc. I'm anxious to have my life back. I hope things go well for you too!
Unread 03-25-2003, 07:54 AM

Dear Songsister,
I am very interested in what info you get back from your doctor. I had a total abdominal hyst/BSO in July 2002. (I am 30 yrs. old) I too have the same symptoms (white discharge, irritation, dry and very painful at times) My doctor has not done any testing on me. When I call and speak to the nurse she says I don't need to be seen. The doctor just calls in a prescription for diflucan. I am so desperate for answers. I keep taking the medication but it does not help. I have had the symptoms since my hyst. I haven't gone for a second opinion because I thought I would get the same treatment. I hope that you get some answers soon. Please let me know so when I do go into the doctor I am atleast educated!!

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Roberta
Unread 03-27-2003, 12:15 AM

It's 7 months later for me too! I guess it took a long time for my ovaries to come out of "shock". I started spotting every three weeks since November...I figured I was ovulating (kept both ovaries and cervix) but it still freaked me out. My doctor told me that I probably still had some uterine tissue left that is reacting to ovulation. Since there was a definite pattern and he did an ultra-sound, I figured as much too.

Last week he swabbed some silver nitrate at the top of my cervix. It stung like crazy and I had gray icky discharge for about 5 days. I should be ovulating in 2 weeks...hopefully the spotting will stop.

He did mention "sloughing" also but didn't say it was anything hormone related or about it being white. I'm really interested in the information your doctor gave to you about sloughing. If my problem isn't uterine tissue, maybe it is this "sloughing".

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. It is wonderful not having heavy periods and cramps any longer though! Hopefully your doctor will be able to come up with good diagnosis and solution soon!
Unread 03-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi Francgal, Roberta Murdock & Mako_Mako

:

Wow, how interesting to hear 3 others ladies also with this white irritated sloughing!

My 36-hour culture came back yesterday and was within normal limits (no yeast infection). I'm waiting to hear from my doc as to what my vaginal estrogen level is (hopefully today or tomorrow). Then she and I will talk more about this sloughing stuff.

Mako_Mako:
what else did your doc say about the sloughing. Did he diagnose it by looking at your swab under a microscope like my doc did or just see it in there? I had the silver nitrate, too at about 3 months post-op. I developed granulation tissue (excess, blood-filled, scar tissue) and had the same fierce burning and gray discharge. They had to repeat it again a week later (which wasn't nearly as bad because they got most of it the first time). They should recheck you after a week or two to make sure they got everything. It is indeed wonderful to be free of monthly suffering! (which for me was nearly daily suffering at the end)

roberta murdock:
I'm sorry to hear they keep calling in diflucan for you. It didn't help me either with my other doc. I even went out and bought gyne-lotrimin vaginal medicine...yikes that really hurt somethin' fierce! That was my first big clue that is wan't really a yeast infection. Back when I was on birth control and got frequent yeast infections from it, the gyne-lotrimen always felt like a relief! I find the best thing now to be lots of long lasting vaginal lubricant. It helps flush out the white stuff, too. I know it will get better as my body adjusts to the hormone dose change I recently made. People often seem to feel sorry for me at 32 (I'm sure they do for you, too, at 30), but I'm ecstatic to be free after suffering for 15 years!!!! Now I just feel sorry for them each month when they have their normal periods ;-)

Francgal:
Sorry also to hear of your woes. I'm kind of surprised that you still have your left ovary with so much endo. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad tidings; but just for educational purposes I feel I should tell you that statistically speaking, your other ovary has very good chance of getting endo, too. Being on birth control pills may be the best thing to keep it at bay. Statiscally, a healthy ovary that is left will produce too much estrogen (which endo feeds on) and eventually (could be just months or years) cause new endo problems on that ovary. That's why I had both of mine out even though my right one wasn't that bad yet. I certainly do hope you beat the odds. Just be on your guard for early signs of trouble. Very sorry to hear about your depression, etc. I had that after each of my 4 miscarriages and both of my kids. It's a terrible place to be and I empathize with you. The right hormone balance can help you get out. Please let me know if your culture showed a yeast infection or not and what your doc says about that if it's "sloughing".

to you all.

Peace,

Songsister

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register