Hormones and Migraines | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormones and Migraines Hormones and Migraines

Unread 03-22-2003, 07:32 AM
Hormones and Migraines

Good morning Girls.

I am scheduled for a TAH on Mar 28th. So far I am keeping my ovaries. I have suffered for 4-5 years with migraines. The lasr year or so they are more intense and frequent. They are tied to my periods in that they are again frequent and severe at that time of the month. Last May, my Dr gave me mefenamic to help with the heavy bleeding etc. In January I went back to my Dr and told him the meds were not working. I have an excellent GP, very caring and he listens and we make decisions together. He told me it was time for a D & C to see if that would help. Jan 26th I had the D & C, and my gyno immediately booked me for a hysterectomy. Needless to say, I was a little shocked, I thought we would be trying a bunch of treatments and maybe end up at the hyster..but again I trust my Dr. One side of my uterus is completely blocked, I have very large fibroids and a large & thickened utuerus. My gyno prescribed Lupron Depot 3.75 every 3 weeks until surgery. I have had the worst migraines imaginable 24-36 hrs after these shots. I had my last shot yesterday, so I am ready for the mirgaine. My Dr set it up so I have standing orders at Emerg for my standard migraine infusion that works. I gotta tell ya small towns are great! The emerg staff know me by name, My Dr calls, by the time I get there, I have a room and the meds ready, 1 hr later I am in my bed at home. This is my background.

Here is my question. Based on the migraines being tied to both my periods and my shots, should I be looking to get rid of my ovaries? I am going to my gyno on Tuesday to finalize the procedure and I want to be able to make an informed decision.

Thanks

Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2003, 10:34 AM
hormones and headaches

Hi Conner

Since it seems you have such a wonderful relationship with your
I would discuss everything you just asked us. They know your migrane history better than we do and if keeping your ovaries is a viable option for you.

I can tell you that I am on Premarin and I do experience migranes with them ~ that in no way means you will or won't just that I do. My doctor is still experimenting with doses and such but if I had the option to have kept my ovaries I would have.

My personal opinion is that if there is no rhyme or reason to take out the ovaries ~ if there is no underlying medical condition or such, I don't agree with taking them out just because the surgeons are already in there digging around.

So I guess I'm back to where I started, talk with your doctor and see what is the best option for you.

I hope I helped in some way.

Mechelle
Unread 03-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Hormones and Migraines

I agree with Mechelle. If I could have it done over I would like to have kept my ovaries. It's so hard to get your hormones regulated and it's not the same as your body can provide for you. I would have liked to have kept my cervix too. I wouldn't have any more taken than necessary. Who knows I could have had more problems down the road, but I would have liked to have given it a shot.
I, too, had horrible migraines. They were made worse with bcp's and when I tried synthetic hormones it was the same. Not as bad but I still had the headaches. The bio-identical hormones worked better for me and I have had no more headaches. I hope this helps. It's ultimately your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Hormones and Migraines

Good luck to you. My surgery date was March 18th (TAH). I am doing extremely well. You did not mention your age; but I am 46 and already regret the ovary removal decision. (At the time I would have agreed to removal of my right arm (Take a few steps back and try to think about what you would decide if you were not under the current health/life pressures.) I work part time and will be completing gradute school in May; I felt I really needed the problem resolved and recovery completed by that time. Rethink any external pressures carefully. I have a Climara patch but am researching HRT options. If you had excellent pain control following your other procedures expect the same. My pain level was only above 2 about three times for only a few minutes. I had morphine pump and toradol. It is day six and I have extreme soreness when getting in and out of bed but no real pain. I am taking one Vicodin every 5 or so hours. I have been sitting at this keyboard for three hours (minus water and potty breaks with no problem.) My incision is six inches/horizontal. I did have severe mood swings on day 3 and 4- I was told that it takes a few days for the patch to work effectively. Be sure to read the "15 items" on the board at this site; I found them very helpful. Again, good luck.
Unread 03-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Hormones and Migraines

Thanks for the input girls. I have had a rough week-end, woke up about about 2 hours ago. I was in emerg at 4:30 this morning for my stemitil/toradol infusion. It has helped somewhat..I if nothing else got a solid 4 hours sleep!

I am so sick of these dang migraines I am ready to do just about anything, but you guys are right, I will discuss with my Dr, and probably keep my ovaries. My Dr is very strong on his position of no unnesessary meds or procedures..

Thanks

Conner

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register