nerves | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-22-2003, 07:36 AM
nerves

I am going to the castle on Tuesday(25/3) and I have been reading some of the post-op hints. Some of the things you are all talking about I didn't know about. At home catheters, pre-op check ups, no eating. I don't know if it's because I'm South Africa or my Dr is 2 hours away, but now my nerves are really starting to attack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2003, 08:08 AM
nerves

Hi, Pre op is when we go in for last questions, blood work etc , whatever each dr wants done right before surgery. It varies depending on each person and what is being done. Most people don't have at home catheters, that's for some of the procedures only. I didn't have any at home bowel prep, the only at home prep I had was no eating or drinking after midnight (pretty standard here).
I think since your surgery is in a few days and your dr is quite a drive , maybe you should call with your questions and concerns.
Best wishes, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.
S
Unread 03-22-2003, 08:50 AM
nerves

I'm now about 9 1/2 months. I had no catheter except immediately following surgery until the next morning. Glad to have it so I didn't have to hop outta bed to pee right after surgery. The next morning was soon enough. I was told not to eat anything after midnight immediately prior to my surgery. I had the bowel prep. I had to drink magnesium citrate--gag. I'd prefer a self-enduced fleet enema any day! The pre-op appt was a breeze. The nurse asked me questions about my health, did a blood test. I had no xrays, etc. Mine was a breeze and I was out in 15 - 30 minutes. I can't remember too well.

You'll be fine. I'd be interested to know if S. Africa has anything different!

Blessings,
TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Nerves

Hang in there sister! I just got home from the castle yesterday! They took the cathterer out the next day in the hosp....and the intervenius...(no spell check here)....
I walk like an old lady or, yup, a penguin...LOL have some pain but the 800 mil of Motrin works well..my hardest part is getting up and down, so I use a cane, was easy witht he bed rails in the hosp bed!
Let me say there is NO biger coward on the face of this earth than me....and the only thing to fear is FEAR it'self! Please take a deep breath and hang in there! You will be sore but my periods when I was younger were worse!
And they even took my appendics out because they were nasty he said! So I would have been back there in a few weekswith them all infected!
When you wake up, DRINK! WALK slow but WALK...take GASX...your most exciting thing will be is to let one off like a 12 yr old boy would! And yes even though you hurt you will laugh so hard!
Coughing is my worst, and if I think I am going to sneeze, excuse me this is disgusting but my finger goes IN my nose to stop it and it works!
Have no fear....the pain can be controled and you will soo be on your way home free!
The initals confuse me, but I had a TAH, removal of all the other clutter junk, including appenddics!
Nan-c
Unread 03-22-2003, 11:24 AM
nerves

Dear Taans,

I know everything seems scary right now. Jeanus and the others are right, though. Some procedures require more tests, preps, equipment, etc., than others. Most hysterectomy patients don't require at-home catheters, and many don't require pre-op laxatives or enemas, etc. either. It's standard to not be able to eat or drink before surgery, because eating too soon before general anesthesia can be dangerous. However, this usually only applies to the night before. If you need a bowel prep, it may be a bit longer, but you're not going to have to go hungry for days.
As far as the in-hospital paraphernalia goes: A Foley catheter to drain urine after surgery should be painless, and it's definitely true that it makes you more comfortable on that first day.

Do you have a pre-op visit already scheduled? That's a good time to bring in a list of questions for your doctor. My own surgeon was really reassuring during my pre-op, even though she's one of those hyper-busy people. You may find that the pre-op visit calms many of your fears.

Best wishes, and good health,
Juliepede
Unread 03-23-2003, 01:11 AM
Nerves reply

Hi, once again the wonderful world of the internet helps out.
Sorry the message was so abrupt, but we had a major thunderstorm start here and Dh was standing by the plug to disconnect me.
I saw my very first gynae a month ago, and that was the day I was told I needed a hyst, fibroids, endo and cysts. I leave for the hospital tomorrow afternoon, spend the night in a guest house with my family (dh and 2 girls) and I'll be shaking in my boots at 6:00 am at the hospital admissions desk. All I have been told is not to eat or drink from 10:00pm. Hopefully I'll get to see the Dr before surgery?!! The only pre-op I'll get is the nurse taking all my blood pressure etc once I am admitted. I know it sounds kind of production line, but with our medical aid you only have a choice of one gynae, and never having been to one before, I didn't know what to expect. We have also just moved (a year ago) to a little mining village, the closest place to buy bread is 20kms away.
So resources are non-existant -no library and we only had our phone installed 3 mnths ago - we had to have a microwave link put in, because they steal the cables as fast as they put them up.
Thanks so much for your advice, support and good wishes, you make me feel very welcome, and not so lost and alone.
Taans
Unread 03-23-2003, 05:24 AM
nerves

Hi! Taans! My surgury is the day after yours. I too am nervous. Who isn't?! I mean its a given, ya know. I'll be praying for you! Just think how much better we'll both feel after we've recovered. My pre-op appointment at the hospital is tomorrow. Just meeting with a nurse and anesthesiologist-signing papers/asking questions sort of thing. Then wait a day, then surgury at 2:30 in the afternoon. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the day before. Pretty weird time for surgury, huh. Usually its bright and early in the morning. Probably stay in the hospital 3 nights. Remember to drink lots of water, take short walks, and rest frequently. It'll be over before we know it. God Bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register