numbness in thigh | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

numbness in thigh numbness in thigh

Unread 03-22-2003, 09:38 PM
numbness in thigh

Hi, I had a TAH/LSO with rectocele repair on Mar. 12th and everything went very well. I was home in 2 days. I had 21 staples, they took 11 out a few days ago and the other 10 will come out on Monday..the incision is driving me nuts and I can't wait to get the rest of these darn staples out.
My question is...since the surgery my left upper thigh is numb. I think the numbness might be starting to subside because all the places I've pinched in the last 10 days are starting to hurt :-(
Has anyone experienced this after surgery? At first in the hospital the nurses and doc seemed concerned..I guess thinking it could be a blood clot...but I seen my doc last Thursday and he said he's heard that this happens and it will, in time, go away.
It scares me at times and I start to think my whole leg, and arm and even side of my face is numb....but once I stop thinking about it...I don't notice it anymore.
So far I'm very pleased with the surgery and so very glad I went ahead with it.
My best to all pre and post princesses.
(((((hugs)))))) Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Yes...

Hi!,
I have numbness also...but mine is in my left groin area. It is the strangest feeling especially when it is touched. I am guessing that a nerve was cut or streched and that the feeling will most likely come back ...I hope

Always,
Lynda
Unread 03-22-2003, 10:13 PM
numbness in thigh

Hey
So glad to hear your doing fine.. I am post op about 2 1/2 months and the numbness in my right thigh is gone.. SO I to had the same problem and my onc/gyn assurred me it would subside within time.. he said it had to do with some kind of nerves but feeling is back!!! so yours will probably return also..I hope I was some help
:-)
Take Care
Srowe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2003, 06:10 AM
numbness in thigh

Hi Trish,

It does sound as though the numbness is a result of a nerve being cut during surgery. The feeling will come back most likely given a little more time. It's very good that you are keeping your Dr. aware of this symptom, and don't hesitate to call your Dr. if you develop any new symptoms or concerns.

I would like to caution you though about pinching yourself to check for feeling. You should be able to tell if it is still numb by a gentle poke from your finger. If you are beginning to see bruising, then it sounds as if you could be hurting yourself without realizing it due to the numbness.

Continue to pamper the and be gentle!

Best wishes and s
Unread 03-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Me too

You're not alone. I've got numbness in both legs, upper thighs on the outside only, down to right above my knees. I can feel if I poke with my finger, but it's still numb. Passing a razor there feels realy weird! It doesn't affect my movement one bit - I can walk, etc., with no trouble.

Wednesday I'll be two weeks post op. There is some feeling returning to the right side, but the center is still numb.

A lady I work with had this as well. Said in about two months the numbness was entirely gone.

Just gotta heal.

Hugs,
Littlebear
Unread 03-24-2003, 08:35 AM
numbness in thighs

I too am experiencing this. My surgery was January 9th. I still have no feeling at all in my upper right thing, and no feeling at all in parts of my upper left thigh. Also, areas around my incision are numb.

I asked my doctor at my six week checkup about this, and she was not concerned at all. She says this is something that can happen because of the retractor used during the operation. It can damage some nerves just by the sheer nature of cutting and moving them. She told me that it may come back gradually, that parts of it may never return, or that it may just all come back one day. So far, that hasn't happened, and I haven't even felt that it has improved, so I'm disappointed.

It's not something that is a real problem, just kind of weird.

Good luck to you.

Susan
Unread 03-24-2003, 09:25 AM
surgery

I am having surgery on March 26, for a vaginal prolapse, cystocele, rectocele, urinary incontience. has any one had this experience and how are you doing?
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:51 PM
rectocele

Hi, On Mar. 12th I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with a rectocele repair, they also put stents in my ureters to clean endo away from them and my bowel.
My doctor told me to correct the rectocele he would have to cut along the length of my vagina and then pull in the area that has perforated into the rectum area and sew it back up......does this makes any sense? I had the surgery at 8:30am and was in my room by 1pm. First thing the next morning they removed the packing and the catheter. It was uneventful and not complicated...the worst was when I woke up in recovery I had a strong urge to pee or pooh..but they said that was normal and that I wasn't to worry about it...it went away once I sat up more in my room.
I was out of the hospital in 2 days. It hurt just a little when I pee'd but it went away right afterwards....I did end up with a bladder infection that I received antibiotics for today. Otherwise it was a very easy procedure...all of it!
I had my first bowel movement 3 days after surgery and almost every night since. I'm having normal bowel movements now...which I haven't been able to do for most of my life..because of endo and the rectocele. Two difficult vagina deliveries and constipation since birth caused the rectocele.
I hope this has helped you abit. Any other questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me.
Take Care
(((((hugs))))) Trish
Unread 03-24-2003, 03:48 PM
numbness

OH my Goodness I had numbness in my left thigh after surgery
an area about the size of my hand at the top of thigh area.
then it would feel like a shock but just in that area, not down my leg. Now it feels like its bruised inside, hurts when I walk etc.
but I think its coming slowly but surely. My uterus was adhered on the left and they had cutting to do so I assumed it was just the nerve and it would come back same as my stomach area
that feels so funny when you touch it.
Wow I was starting to think I was the only person who has ever experienced it as everyone I talk to says nope they never had such a problem.
Unread 03-24-2003, 04:00 PM
This site comes thru for me AGAIN!

That’s why I love this site. I had read about other ladies having the numbness in their thighs after surgery so when I noticed it after my surgery I didn't panic and when the doctor wasn't too concerned...neither was I. Had I not read about it here I know I would have been afraid I was having some kind of stroke or losing the feeling in my leg…..this site has come thru for me AGAIN!!
Thankfully it doesn't affect me in any way, I can walk and move around fine, it just feels very weird and I'll be glad when it goes away. I also had my uterus removed from my bowel and bladder because of severe endo.
((((hugs))))) My best to all.
Trish

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register