How long did you wait until you drove again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long did you wait until you drove again? How long did you wait until you drove again?

Unread 03-24-2003, 01:32 PM
How long did you wait until you drove again?

Please write me your experiences as to how long you waited before you put yourself behind the driving wheel again. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Hi,

I had a TAH in May of last year. I was cleared to drive at 7 days post op, but it was almost three weeks before I finally did drive, and then it was just to about 2 miles and back. I also drove to my post-op appointment at 3 1/2 weeks, but didn't really drive much at all until I returned to work part-time at 5 1/2 weeks.

A good rule of thumb about driving is not to drive until you have been cleared by your doctor to do so, not to drive after you have been cleared if you are still taking pain medications, and not to drive until you can twist your body 45 degrees and stomp hard on the brake without having a lot of pain. This will not only protect you, but others as well.

s,

Lisa
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:45 PM
When to Drive

I drove when my doctor told me. he said 6 weeks and that's how long I waited. So whatever your doctor told you. You can also view other comments on driving by doing a search using Driving as key word.

You must listen to your doctor. Even waiting 6 weeks feels like a workout for me. You don't want to tear anything or loosen stitches prematurely.

You only have one time to heal properly, don't rush it or you will be back in the castle for repair surgury.

Be blessed.

Roberta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2003, 01:49 PM

I had a TVH and drove in 6 days. It was only about 15 minutes, and that was far enough. My doctor's instructions were: off meds and be able to stomp on the pedal hard. Also be able to twist both ways in order to back up the car. I drove 30 minutes one-way at 11 days and that was fine.
Good luck with your recovery.
Sue
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:49 PM

Hi Lisa,

My doctor told me at my one week post op that I could drive, but I had to have someone with me for the first few times. Well I did drive once and it wore me out.

Luckily, ha ha, I guess we are lucky that we feel yucky enough not to care much. I really didn't find much of a need. I drove if I had to but it wasn't that much. It is amazing that we probably don't need to go to the store nearly as much as we think.

I live in the country so I just made sure I got everything I needed when I did go to town.

Maryellen
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:51 PM

I was wondering this myself this morning. I am scheduled for a LAVH on 4/17 and just realized I have my dental checkup for the year scheduled for 5/8. I thought about calling to reschedule but will wait until I talk to my doctor. My dentist isn't all that far from my home anyhow.
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Driving

I drove at 13 days post op. I only went about 7 miles each way. The 2nd time I was 15 days post-op and drove 12 miles each way and shopped a little. I did fine. Have been off all pain meds since post op day 9 or so. Listen to your Dr. and your body and you won't go wrong!

TAH/BSO Mar.7,
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:12 PM

My doctor released me to drive at my one week check-up. But I waited until about 2 1/2 weeks to actually drive. It was good knowing I was allowed to if I needed to, but I felt better waiting. I had a lot of brain fog that would have concerned me while driving. That was cleared up by the 2 1/2 week mark.
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:38 PM

I too drove at one week and was cleared to do so.. SO LONG AS you are off all of the medications!.. I had no issues.. other than the pot holes of the northeast.. brace yourself.. lol

Hugs
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:43 PM
driving

I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow and I have only driven twice. Both times were very short distances and it was hard for me. Trying to turn around to back up or to look over my shoulder was hard and brakingwas hard as well. Good luck and take your time
Abby

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register