How many alternatives before you say, "ENOUGH!"? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many alternatives before you say, "ENOUGH!"? How many alternatives before you say, "ENOUGH!"?

Unread 04-24-2000, 02:41 PM
How many alternatives before you say, "ENOUGH!"?

Just curious, anyone out there try an alternative/alternatives and they did not work or did not last and maybe there was one more left out there...did you try it or go on to have the hyst?

I think there comes a point when we do all we can do and even if there is maybe one alternative left, we have to consider it possibily not working...and make the decision to have the hyst and be done with all this and get back to the land of the living again. That is how I feel anyway. I have had this medical problem for two years now, and dozens of tests...some very invasive..and two surgeries w/general anesthesia later, I am at the end of my rope with this. I don't have the strength to have another surgery only to have it fail and waste more time.

Do we just keep grasping at straws with alternatives...or after a few attempts do we say, "Okay, enough already!"?

I really do feel if there are alternatives to try, we should try them...depending on the individual circumstances of course...and as I learned here on this site, a hyst should be a LAST resort...I believe that. But I also believe that when we do try alternatives and they keep failing us, a hyst should be given serious thought.
Anyone in this situation?
Thankshttps://www.hystersisters.com/ubb/smilies/smile.gif
Angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2000, 03:23 PM

Angel, I'm wondering if you've given your ablation enough time to work yet. I know that most Doctors say that it takes about 3 months to tell if you're going to be better or not. (and that includes period length too) I know that you had one period since the ablation and I had the impression that it was much lighter...even if it did last many days. Am I mistaken? One period isn't a good enough gauge to tell if it's going to be better or not. I know this is crazy https://www.hystersisters.com/ubb/smilies/dizzy.gif, but I really think you're doing yourself a disservice by assuming the worst at this point. I know you just want it all over with and I'm aware that although our situations are similar, you aren't me, but I relate to your situation. I just don't want you to go into this thinking it's going to make everything all better. I did, and I still have days when the hormonal imbalance that caused me to bleed in the first place makes me regret having such an invasive procedure while still having symptoms when quite likely the ablation would have had the same results with less recovery involved. Still, when all is said and done, only you know what you can and can't handle and only your Dr. can tell you what really is necessary and prudent. I wish you peace, Angel...not only peace with your decision, but peace and patience with the process which may indeed be your answer.

Much Love,

https://www.hystersisters.com/lisagraphics/susan.jpg
Unread 04-25-2000, 12:16 PM

Thanks Susanhttps://www.hystersisters.com/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

I know I need to give this more time, I am just so nervous and scared that the uncontrollable bleeding will come back. Plus I never had two periods in one month before and now I have this to contend with, but again this could be from my body being all confused from the ablation, I don't know. My dh even told me I should have had the hyst in Jan and not backed out since he knew I would be this way and not really trust it and keep second guessing it. I can't even go back to work yet...I stay home and wait "just in case" and if I would have had the hyst I could go back to work with the guarantee that I would never bleed again~BUT~like you said a hyst could have opened up a host of new problems for me and that is why this time I am not going to rush into this lightly until I know I have exhausted all my options~which I did~excect when I get the MRI and see if I have a fibroid or if I have adeno, if it would even show up(heard adeno is missed a lot of MRI's)and once I know what this growth is they found on the abd. ultrasound I will go from there.

Can I ask you what the cause of your bleeding was from your path report? Were you offered an ablation first?

Thanks for understanding where I am coming from here...people that never had uncontrollable bleeding just cannot relate and you seem to really understand what I live as you had it too.

{{{HUGS}}}
Angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2000, 12:27 PM

Hi Angel,

I understand where you are coming from. I had a laparoscopy almost 3 months ago to determine why I've been in pain for the last 8 years, and it is aggravating to have so much of your life going well ... but still be not feeling good. You start to think you just can't win!

I've tried megadoses of vitamin E and C (to heal the adhesions) and something called MSM (which did nada for me). Right now I am trying accupuncture. I am willing to have a hyster - I just am not willing to do the recovery time right now (not til the fall when I'm not in anymore weddings and stuff).

Accupuncture is helping (I can hardly believe it) but I think this would be the last thing I would try. I have a dear friend who goes to a doctor's appt a week (if not more often) because she's doing the naturopathic + homeopathic + osteopathic + accupuncture + massage therapy + chiropractic thing. Its fine for her, but I just want to be better (dammit) not spend so much time at different places to get better.

I guess I'm impatient, but after what we've been through I think its reasonable for us.

The acupuncture is working for me, I am at a point in my monthly cycle where I should be in a lot of pain and hitting my little bottle of percocet heavily ... but thankfully I'm not. I'm only halfway through my 10 treatments, but I'm hopeful. You might want to give that a try, the NIH (National Insitute for Health) has written articles examining it and finding it an effective treatment for some problems (like nausea and some kinds of chronic pain) and I trust their work. I don't know HOW it works, but I like the results so far.

Good luck on your search, I know how hard it is to watch your life go by without you because you're sidelined by this kind of pain.

Pam

Unread 04-25-2000, 01:05 PM

Angel, my path report said that the likely cause of my bleeding was "hormonal imbalance of an undetermined nature" with a secondary cause of very mild adenomyosis. The gyn told me that the adeno wasn't very invasive, and could have been solved by ablation. (in other words, Dr. said "I told you so"). Indeed, this "second period in one month" could be your body adjusting to the ablation. Hopefully, you'll be straightened around in the next month.

https://www.hystersisters.com/lisagraphics/susan.jpg
Unread 05-24-2000, 12:20 AM

Hi Angel,
I'm one that tried many alternatives before reaching this decision. My GYN diagnosed mild endo when he performed my tubal ligation in '88. By '91 it was giving me enough pain that he performed a lap to laser off the tissue.

During this op he was able to see how much additional tissue had implanted around the abdominal cavity. He felt he got most of it. By '93 I was back again in surgery for another lap/laser. In '96 I had a D&C to try and control the heavy bleeding. Based on further tests (ultrasound)I opted to take the DepoLupron(?) shots for six months to shrivel the endo.

For all of these ops my doc explained to me that they would probably not give lasting relief. And I wasn't ready to discuss a hyst, I was ok with just 'buying time'. I was hoping that maybe I could make it to menopause and let that resolve these issues. But in '98 the pain was growing, the bleeding had lengthened to 7-10 days and they mentioned fibroids for the first time. I've endured as much as I can and now am resolved to take my step to get better and put this behind me. I'm 41 now, I have one child and had no intention of having more, so I wasn't buying time for that reason. I just needed this much time to feel I've done what I can and that this was not done in haste or unnecessarily.
(Can you tell I move SLOOOOW! LOL)

I feel very comfortable with the decision to have the hyst. And I know that I will have no regrets post-op even if I have some hurdles to go over. Because of my history, I know I've done enough for me. And that's basically what I'm getting down to. Only you will know when you have done 'enough' for you. Listen closely to your heart, be patient with the alternative and make the decision that gives you peace. I value the last 12 years, even with all the ups and downs, but it was something I had to do to be satisfied.

Wishing you peace and wellness (hugs)
SherrieNM
LIW (6/27/00)
Unread 06-01-2000, 07:21 AM

Dear Angel,

I truly understand. I too, suffered from terrible bleeding and pain from my periods, even though my uterus was pretty normal, based on the report.

I did try many non-invasive approaches over the last 3 or so years, but to no avail. I was so tired of being in excruciating pain for most of the month.

Seems that much of my pain was due to adhesions (from 3 prior c sections) that had completely "glued" together all my female organs, including the cervix, and bladder.

I know that adhesions are tough, and there are not many answers out there. But for me, as I look back and reflect, I feel that I made a wise choice - yes, I am still having some pain, but NO MORE BLEEDING.

Give your ablation a bit more time dear, I know how hard that is! At 5 weeks post op from the TAH, I am healing very slowly, and doc told me yesterday that I will need more time. Surely can be frustrating!!

Hang in there sweetie - I'll be here for you!
(((hugs)))
Unread 06-01-2000, 09:35 AM

Dear Angel,

I am in your situation as well. I've had 2 laps for endo, and now the pain with sex is back again. Unfortunately, I don't think I've received the best care possible. I live in a small town where most people think you're taking your life in your hands when you go to our one hospital. The only treatment options I've ever been given for my endo was the bcp. Looking back, I should have searched out more expertise. I know there are options for me other than surgery. But my main concern now is quality of life. I dreaded telling dh the first time the pain was back during sex. I waited several weeks before telling a soul that the normal "walking around doing nothing-not even during my period" pain in my side was back. My best friend has tried to talk my out of surgery, because natural progesterone and acupuncture have worked for her. I think that if I go ahead with the hyst now I have a good chance of never having to stop in the middle of sex because it hurts again. Right now I'm focusing on finding a surgeon who is skilled at removing all traces of endo. I think we are made to feel like quitters because we haven't tried every last option before surgery. You have to do what is best for you and your loved ones. What is the point of suffering if there is a good chance we can be "cured"? Keep in mind that I am extremely emotional at this point, because I have been struggling for weeks with this issue. Finding this site was such a blessing to me, it's such a relief to know that we are not alone in this struggle!
Unread 06-02-2000, 03:48 PM

Angel,
I can truly sympathize with you on this. I too spent several years of my life one option after another. This past year was the icing on the cake. I don't feel that I just GAVE UP! I feel that I did more than enough with options maybe more so than most. You are not WEAk for taking charge of your life. You and only you can make the best choices for your well being. I made this choice to have a Hysterctomy because I MYSELF want my life back. What ever descision you make I will support you!
God Bless You and Follow Your Heart!
Sherrie TAH 5/17/00
[email protected]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register