IV suggestion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IV suggestion IV suggestion

Unread 03-25-2003, 09:31 AM
IV suggestion

Once the IV is in, you pretty much don't feel it. But a bit of advise as this happened to me.

The day and night of surgery, I didn't feel a thing when I pumped morphine. But the next morning, it began to burn just a little. It didn't last long, but it was a bit uncomfortable.

After the morphine was taken away, I asked for something for pain. I had a choice of oral or an injection of toradol (which is a strong inflammatory drug). I opted for that. When she pushed that into the IV (injected it), man oh man, did I feel burning BIG time!!! I immediately told her, and she took my hand and tapped lightly on where the IV was in. The burning immediately stopped.

So if you feel any burning, perhaps that means your IV needs to be flushed. Or tell the nurse and ask her to dilute the med (mine said she would dilute it the next time, but I didn't need more of it).

Don't want to worry you. Just thought I'd share with you ladies in waiting. Sometimes knowing these little things helps.

Hugs,
Littlebear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2003, 09:41 AM
IV suggestion

EXCELLENT suggestion. I am an RN and the practice of diluting IV meds,should be done with all intravenous meds. Also, don't be afraid to remind your Nurse, to routinely "flush" your IV devise, unless you are receiving continuous fluids through it. Flushing consists of "pushing" some Normal Saline solution through the IV that is not used, continuously, to keep the IV patent.
Roz
Unread 03-25-2003, 09:41 AM
IV suggestion

Thank you little bear! I'm scheduled for 4-15-2003, and am after ALL the info/hints I can get; I think it helps get rid of nerves when I inundate myself with knowledge... I appreciate this site for that, and for having a place to go where everyone has either been there, done that, or is going there, doing that!
Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2003, 11:46 AM
IV suggestion

I too had toradol shot into my IV hurt like crazy!
Unread 03-25-2003, 12:55 PM
I.V.

Thanks for the great advice. I have had a couple of surgical procedures in the past, and the IV is the worst part for me. Just one more thing for me to be sooooo scared about. I will be heading to the castle on April 1st, and I think I cry every day. Lots of stuff on my mind. Thanks for a wonderful sight and all of the great info.!!! It is a big help.
Unread 03-25-2003, 02:18 PM
IV suggestion

Thanks for the tip! I don't recall having pain meds in the IV that burned, but I do remember getting shots of pain meds in the butt that hurt!!

I'm another one that has horrible veins and they often have to put IV's in very uncomfortable places. I actually like it when they give the little numbing shot before they put in the IV.
Unread 03-25-2003, 04:39 PM
iv's

one other thing all you pre's need to know is don't let them go dry an when they put the initial heplock in they might hit a valve in the vein an if this happens be prepared to have a sore site for awhile after you go home from surgery. this happened to me an it hurt for at least 2 weeks afterwards.an was bruised also. also before they start putting it in see if they inject some fluid in before that iv goes in . this makes getting the iv alot less painful. tah,2/12/03
Unread 03-25-2003, 04:42 PM
IV suggestion

Deb -- understood! I'm phobic of IVs and blood draws myself, even though other kinds of needles (allergy shots, flu shots, dental anesthesia) don't bother me at all! I think that once my IV was inserted before surgery, I felt so much better that that part was over that I didn't remember to be scared of surgery! (Of course, the Verced injection through the IV line helped.) :-)

I've had Littlebear's problem before too, and will remember to ask about this if I ever need another IV. If non-IV needles don't bother you, you might want to ask if you can have a local in your hand before the IV is inserted. The injection of the local is only a small pinch, and when the IV is inserted afterwards, you probably won't feel much except pressure.

Good luck,
Juliepede
Unread 03-25-2003, 05:23 PM
IV suggestion

Ya know I think I am more nervous about the IV then any other part of the surgery.
I have rolly viens with hard stick valves. I cant have them in my hands because they blow almost the second they try and stick them in and most often times blow in the lower arm as well. So trying to stick them in the joint of the arm where they dont blow but bruise is bad because then you cant move your arm. which just gets really stiff. I hate iv's! lol
I hope I get the good anesthesia guy because last time I talked him out of putting it in my hand or lower arm (thought I was only going to be there for the day) and he did as I wished and put it in my elbow area, but then decided to look at my viens. Showed me where the valves were and explained why many nurses just cant get a good stick on me because if they do it below the valves it will blow. So hopefully if I get him, I will feel better about letting him try in my lower arm. Still not letting anyone touch my hands again though! OUCH!
Unread 03-25-2003, 06:18 PM
IV suggestion

Don't ever let anyone give you Thorazine!!!! I went to the ER for a migraine with tingling in my face and arm a year ago in Feb. By the time I saw the ER doc, it was gone, but she wanted to give me the saline solution anyway to hydrate me. I was there for awhile and then pretty soon the nurse was coming over with some meds to put into my IV. She was putting them in before I could ask her what they were........, as she was telling me that it was Thorazine for the headache (which I told her I didn't need it because my head didn't hurt anymore)...., she still gave it to me, and then Benadryl to counteract the Thorazine because it makes you irritable. Talk about a burn up the arm?........., it burned all the way up into my sinuses, and a fog came out of my mouth from it. It was so awful!!!! I was ready to hurt that woman!

I'll never forget that day as long as I live. I was so drugged from that, I missed 3 days of work because of that **** drug. I was so dizzy from it. It caused Chemical Phlebitis in my arm, I had little lumps in my main vein in my arm, it blew the vein, and now the veins in my hand are real small looking now at times..., like when you're dehydrated. My arm killed me for about 9 months. At times it still hurts.

Come to find out it hasn't been used for migraines for years, and it's a very strong drug that is given Psychiatric patients!!!!!! Now I know why they act so freaked out!!! I thought I ws going actually going to die from it. Never again will I let them give me anything like that again, I'll yank my IV out first. I was told that the ER doctor I had that day is the only doctor that uses that crap for migraines. Needless to say, I haven't been back to that ER! So, just make sure you ask what they're giving you BEFORE they start it. I have had Torradol though, and I was fine with that. They just need to make sure they flush it out good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register