being on your period | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

being on your period being on your period

Unread 03-25-2003, 10:16 AM
being on your period

Hello everyone, I just joined today and have a question. I am scheduled for a LAVH on June 25. I just wanted to know if the doctor can still perform the surgery if I am on my period at that time. I just started my period today which is the 25th and am scared that they won't be able to do the surgery. Does anyone know if that is possible? Thank you! Sandra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Sandra!

I started my period a few days before surgery and called the doctor's office right away because I too was afraid they would cancel. The nurse said it didn't matter. Whew! As you read more of the posts on this website, you'll hear about many women who have very, very long periods, lasting 20 days or more. Obviously, it'd be really difficult to plan a surgery around their periods! You can check with your DR, just to give yourself peace of mind, but I don't think it'll matter.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Unread 03-25-2003, 02:11 PM
period

Hi Sandra

As far as I know you can still do it if you're having your period.

If they had to wait for us to never bleed they'd never be able to do it!!

Unless there are extra conditions that concern your doctor. I've heard of women who couldn't stop bleeding and therefore had to have the surgery, and me - well my body decided to go into shut down 2 months before and I didn't get a period, but thought any minute for sure it would come and sabbotage my surgery.

I hope we helped you

mechelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2003, 04:33 AM
being on your period

Hi there Sandra

I knew there was a very real chance I too would have my periods when I was due to have my hyst done. I had previously asked gyn if it would be a problem and he said no problem, many women are having their periods at the time of surgery.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I had to go into hospital one day preop (I have other medical conditions). Periods started the day I went in and what a doozy - the final reminder. Fast forward 24 hours - periods gone forever. I had light bleeding for 1 day post op and now 15 months later not one drop since. It was the shortest period in my living history and I for one was so glad for that!!!

You would be surprised at the amount of ladies who go to surgery with their periods. Hmm - maybe there should be a poll done on it.

Hugs and regards
Unread 03-26-2003, 09:09 PM
being on your period

Sandra,
I was bleeding from mid October until my 3/3/2003 surgery. Even with lupron and being on progesterone twice daily since January I was still bleeding. I went into surgery bleeding - at that point I really didn't care! Shouldn't make a difference to the surgical team whatsoever.
Good luck!
Barb
Unread 03-27-2003, 08:20 AM
period during surgery

I got my (last!) period the day before surgery. As far as I know, the only difference it made was that I wore a hospital pad and those lovely mesh panties under my gown instead of nothing at all! DR didn't care, and when I woke up, no more period!

Blessings to you -

Bec22
Unread 03-27-2003, 12:32 PM
being on your period

I was right smack in my period when my surgery happened two weeks ago. When I asked my doc, she said "makes no difference at all, it's all coming out anyway."

I even spent the night before, um, being very intimate.

Not to worry.

Hugs,
Littlebear
Unread 03-27-2003, 01:56 PM
thank you

Thank you all for your input. You have made me feel better. I love reading everyones posts. I don't feel alone or scared anymore. Thank you once again! Sandra
Unread 03-27-2003, 05:45 PM
being on your period

Yeah, me too. I was scheduled for surgery on a Tuesday, and the Friday before I had the biggest period I'd ever had. Ever! Four trips to the restroom per hour, all day long! Seemed to be going out with a bang! I actually had to leave work mid-day and what a ride home on the subway that was! I called the dr who said not to worry...lay down, put my feet up, and think about how it'll be a memory soon!

Beth Ann
TAH/BSO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register