special diet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

special diet? special diet?

Unread 03-27-2003, 04:15 AM
special diet?

I would like to hear what dietary changes others have made, because of their cancer diagnosis.

Also, how does radiation affect diet (apart from diarhia, which I understand is a side-effect).

My family doctor, who himself has cancer, said they do weekly blood counts etc, but won't treat anything (like anemia) until it is life threatening. He said just feeling bad is "not their problem" and that they let levels fall to 7-8 and then do a transfusion, but don't give any kind of treatment before that. I wonder if I should start taking iron now (have some left from my endless bleeding...) could that cause problems with the treatment?

Esther.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2003, 07:54 AM
special diet?

My DR recommended the dietary guidelines on the American Cancer Society's Web Page. I did not have radiation, so I can't help you there, but I think there were some tips on the Cancer Society's web page for that too. The diet isn't anything strange, just lots of fruits and vegetables basically. I have added a bowl of oatmeal daily for nutrition and it is said to relieve some symptons of surgical menopause too. I can tell a difference if I don't eat my oatmeal! I also take a multivitamin daily now too. Talk to your DR before you begin taking anything, even a vitamin!
Unread 03-27-2003, 10:04 AM
special diet?

I haven't made any drastic changes in my diet, but am eating more vegetables and avoiding fats and fried food more diligently. INow that chemo is done i am taking an aspirin every day because it is said to help prevent tumor growth and I am also drinking two ounces of essiac tea. Some say it is a cure and others sau it is useless, but nothing said it causes harm and the $28 a month it costs seems reasonable to me. There are mixed reports about green tea being helpful so i have switched from black tea to green for my ice tea. The spice tumeric is supposed to be helpful and i am going to try it. It is important to check with your doctor, and perhaps a nutritionist. There are a lot of so called remedies out there that are expensive, useless and could even cause harm. The subject of nutrition and cancer is interesting and i plan to study it more, not just for me, but my family. Trish, who often posts here knows a lot and hopefully she will post soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2003, 08:11 PM
special diet?

Hi. There is an article in Prevention this month regarding diet and cancer. The author claims to have cured her lymphoma years ago with a strict microbiotic diet. She gives the names of some cancer diet books. It was very interesting.

Unfortunately I don't have the willpower to follow such a strict diet. I've always tried to eat healthy but just can't seem to stay on track. I wonder why??

Anyway, check it out. Good Luck. JillSue
Unread 03-27-2003, 08:26 PM
special diet?

I read that article in Prevention. It was interesting.

After reading that and other books touting similar "cures by diet," I considered not doing chemo . . . until everyone basically told me that I had to. So I will start chemo Monday . . . but I will help my body help itself by changing my diet.

We already PMed each other with info. But for others, these are the changes I made right after surgery:

-- no dairy
-- no coffee
-- no alcohol
-- no processed sodas
-- no red meat (turkey and fish OK)
-- limited sugars (preferably in fruit form)
-- soy ice creams instead of regular (and only for a small treat)
-- macrobiotic interest; slowly adding foods in (miso and soba, etc.)
-- fresh-squeezed juices (since necessary enzymes die in 30 minutes)
-- maitake mushroom with D-fraction (I add to soup or whatever)
-- noni juice (I add to morning fresh fruit juice)
-- essiac (flor-essence is the new version)
-- tumeric (haven't used yet, but bought it)

I should mention that I have long been a wine collector and that I love both cheese and ice cream. I can do without red meat, but eliminating dairy is really hard. As is eliminating coffee, to which I have long been addicted. (I bought some soy coffee ice cream in the hopes that I could enjoy just a little bit of the taste in lieu of my daily morning trip to the coffee house.)

My dad's (a doctor) life's work was treating and curing disease by modifying diet. Removing things such as dairy, wheat and soda can do wonders for your body -- and reverse arthritic conditions and other problems.

Hope this helps. :-)
Unread 03-27-2003, 08:34 PM
special diet?

Siren,

Those changes sound wonderful. I actually have rheumatoid arthritis so I should revamp my diet. Eating is like an addiction to me. I'm sure your body will be much healthier with these eating changes you have made. Good luck with the chemo. JillSue
Unread 03-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Diet after cancer diagnosis

Since my diagnosis and treatment in 2001, I have slowly changed not only my diet, but lifestyle as well. After reading many books by doctors, nutritionists and survivors, I have increased my intake of fruits and vegetables dramatically. On top of that, I make it a point to eat these food: Broccoli, cabbage, flax seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric, salmon, promeganates, berries, lots and lots of garlic, ginger, onions, sweet potatoes, ****ake mushrooms, fermented soya products (there is an article in our local papers recently, I will be happy to send anyone a copy of it), carrots, seaweed, spring onions, green tea, oats with raisins and honey, red grapes, watermelon and papaya. I believe the following supplements are important for cancer patients: zinc, magnesium, Vit.E. I believe flax seeds and soy products helped to elevate my menopausal problems - I am not on HRT. I take a calcium supplement. I have given up dairy products and coffee - because I haven't heard anything that says taking either will help me fight cancer. Ditto for products made with plain flour and sugar. I walk 45 mins. 5 days a week, I do 30 mins of Qigong every morning. I have to admit to being a little lax on weekends, but I don't go overboard on sweets and fat. I believe that it is important to get rid of tummy fat, and if overweight, to try to reduce the weight by eating food with is very high in nutrition and to exclude those that are not. Exercising slowly, but regularly is very important - which is why qigong is so effective. Instead of walking to raise heartbeat, I walk at normal speed with my arms swinging, elbows bent. I find it very effective. I also do push-ups against the sink. I am up to 40 a day. I hope this helps.
Unread 03-27-2003, 09:06 PM
special diet?

Hi All,

Just wanted to weigh in on this subject with a small word of caution about dietary stuff. No one has mentioned that they are taking more than the recommended amount of vitamins or minerals, but I just wanted to emphasize that you should not take more than what is recommended by the latest Dietary Recommended Intake.

One example is the ATBC study where smokers were given beta carotene, and/or vitamin E, which was thought to be protective from cancer, or a placebo, in a randomized clinical trial. Turned out that the groups that were receiving beta carotene had a much larger risk of developing lung cancer. They used relatively high doses of beta carotene, though, so this is not to say that beta carotene is bad for you, but just a reminder that moderation is the key!!

A good diet high in fruits and vegetables is indisputably beneficial to overall health, so making positive changes is great for the body and the mind!

Also, make sure and check with your doctor before adding any herbals to your regimen. They can interact with meds.

Beth
Unread 03-28-2003, 06:04 AM
special diet?

I like this thread!

I'm 4 weeks out from my radical hysterectomy. I started my regular walking routine (3.6 miles) 3 days ago. The effect has been amazing. I feel 100% better. Obviously check with your Dr. first.......but I think resuming or beginning a walking program does a world of good. I'm starting a weight lifting program in 4 more weeks. I'm also slowly integrating friuts and veggies into my diet. It's very hard for me because I'd rather eat a piece of meat and a slice of bread!! Thanks for the tips! JillSue
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:46 PM
special diet?

Hi Esther...

I did not have radiation but I did have chemo. Please do not take anything without checking with your doctor first. I was told NOT to take any vitamins or herbal products or anything like that during chemo.

I went thru the chemo without any problems. My blood counts went down slightly when they were supposed to and came back up to normal when they were supposed to all by themselves.

Hope all goes well.
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register