What can I wear? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What can I wear? What can I wear?

Unread 03-27-2003, 08:40 AM
What can I wear?

Dear Sisters,
I forgot to ask before, but what can I expect to be able to wear after a TAH? Keep in mind that it is almost 90 here in AZ already. What to wear home from the castle and what to wear once I get home?
Please help if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Anniemae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2003, 08:54 AM
What can I wear?

I had a loose, seersucker dress that buttons all the way down the front. It was very comfortable, easy to get on and off, cool and loose. That was my favorite thing to wear. You will definitely want things to be loose around you for some time post op. Also, swelly belly makes it hard for many of us to fit comfortably in our regular clothes for months!
Unread 03-27-2003, 08:56 AM
What can I wear?

Hi,

It sounds like some cute stretch shorts and tank tops are in order. If you're in air conditioning a lot, you may want a layered look with cute light sweats and a light sweat jacket over the tank top. One thing I do remember was my panties. I had to have my sister buy me some high cut briefs. She did get some non-ugly ones (they'll do for a while). The ones I usually wore rested right on my incision. That was not a good thing. So I didn't wear any in the castle. That was a problem, too. There was some "old blood". I really needed a pantiliner for that. It was a mess. I wish I had found this site pre-op. You're lucky you did. Good luck and s to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2003, 09:32 AM
HI there

I'll try again. You said you didn't wear undies while in the hospital. What did you do. You said it was a mess. Didn't the nurses suggest wearing a pad or anything. I just want to be prepared for the hospital stay as well as when I get home. Did you bleed/spot for long? Did you ever need more than a mini? I was told I can't drive for 2 weeks so need to get out and get everything I need ahead of time.
Unread 03-27-2003, 09:49 AM
I am 17 Days Post Op

And if it helps any, I didn't wear undies in the hospital either, but then again I didn't bleed any while there either. The nurses told me to be sure to let them know if I began to bleed so that they could provide me with a pad. I wore soft, drawstring pants (two sizes larger than normal) and a matching T-Shirt to and from the castle. Now that I am home in sunny So Cal, I perfer loose dresses, they're just more comfy. (I am overweight and have a "bikini incision"). Hope this helps somewhat.

DR
Unread 03-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Hi Radar

Thanks for that info. I guess everyone is different. I am looking forward to never wearing pads again. :dance2: It must be nice to live in sunny Calif. Here in southern ontario Canada, the weather has been nice, but certainly not warm enough to wear shorts just yet. It will probably be May before that will happen. Need to get through our rainy season yet. We still have a little snow in drifted areas yet to melt away.
Have you had any bleeding at all?
Unread 03-27-2003, 10:48 AM
What can I wear?

I second what Shirl says and wear loose dresses such sun dresses.I lived in those after surgery. They're comfortable, easy to get in and out of. Add a piece of jewelry or two and you look well put together. I think looking dressed gives you a psychological boost and is much better than wearing pajamas all day.
Unread 03-27-2003, 01:17 PM
I am 2+ weeks post-op from a TAH...

I had just 3 weeks to prepare for the operation. I worried, too, about what to wear after having read this board. MAJOR concerns about swelly-belly happening!

We live in NE Washington state, and I didn't know if it would still be Winter or getting Spring-like when I had the surgery. I went to a local consignment store and found a pair of maternity coverlalls that had never been worn (still had the tags on them!) for just $3! They are a light, soft brushed twill, and I figured I could wear a t-shirt OR a sweater under them. They worked perfectly! They aren't baggy-baggy, and accomodated my only slightly swollen tummy just fine. I wore them to and from the hospital.

For the three outings I have made in the last three days, I have worn those coveralls, another lighter pair of coveralls, and a denim jumper with a turtlenect under it. Knee socks went with all three outfits as there is no way in heck I am wearing pantyhose or tights!!!

Around the house for the last couple of weeks, I just wore a long flannel nightie. Old-fashioned, comfy and warm, it has been ideal, with panties underneath. My tummy isn't swollen too much anymore (my waist is now at 26"), but anything extra pressing on it other than bed linens or my heated gel-pack, feels uncomfortable (not painful, just heavy!)

I didn't think about the panties until after I came home. In the hospital, they provided the pads AND the panties for me. They were super-soft and perfectly clingy enough. But, silly me, I didn't take them home with me when I was discharged! So, I wore my regular Victoria's Secret high-cut briefs that I always wear.

They were okay, but they did rub my incision a bit. Not that that bothered me (the incision is numb). However, where they shaved the little bit of pubic area, the hair re-growing DID feel yucky! So, I asked my Mom to go to Wal-Mart and buy the dreaded "granny panties"!! We measured my waist so that she could go by that measurement rather than package sizes. My waist was 24" when I went into the hospital, and was 34" when I came home. So, she found 3 pairs that were for the larger size waist and brought hem home.

Well, they DID fit nicely in the waist, but were waaaaaaay too big in the leg openings for me! My pads hung down 4"s below my crotch, which is a bit low to be considered snug!!! My first morning after wearing them all night had us changing the sheets because they simply didn't do the job (the panties, I mean!).

So, back to the VS briefs, I just rolled them down a bit, and they were fine.

As for the pads, I used the same brand I used post-partum several years ago, ALWAYS brand. I got the "Overnight" absorbency as my flow was heavier than I'd anticipated. I know many gals have just used panti-liners, but my flow has been heavier. The ALWAYS pads have changed since I had our son 4+ years ago, and they are very thin and comfortable. They have "wings" (WHO thinks up these names?!) that wrap-around the leg-openings of your panties, and keeps them even more secure.

For Arizona, I'd go with lightweight coveralls or a loose dress around the house. You may find shorts do fine, or find anything on your waist feels tight. It is something you'll just have to wait and see. Do you have access to any maternity clothing? Even if you have to go to Goodwill or a consignment store, a pair of neutral-colored maternity shorts might be worth the inexpensive outlay of money.

Good luck with your surgery. And, remember, take it easy and be a good Princess when you go home!!!!

Leslie
Unread 03-27-2003, 01:46 PM
I'm in Minnesota and a lot different here!

It was -10 the morning I went in and 65 six days later when I got out! Whew! Huge difference!

I worn a pair of light cotton men's lounge pants that I picked up on sale at Meryvn's and a sweatshirt to and from the hospital. Also, slip on type of shoes so I didn't have to have someone tie my shoes for me because I couldn't bend down!

I worn the hospital gowns the whole time there because it was easier with my IV that I had the whole time. Besides, let them do the laundry! I did wear my lounge pants under my gown during the day when I was wandering the halls, plus my bathrobe. Not to mention it was pretty cold outside in the smoking lounge a couple of those first days!

I bought a pair of cheap slippers at Target that I took with me. Hospitals, especially the floors (as my nurse told me) are loaded with germs! The last thing I wanted was to bring something home on my slippers. I had intended to just toss them out when I left there, until I notice the lady next door was wearing only those little hospital sock slippers and I offered them to her and she was thrilled. (made me cringe one evening when this young woman visiting a relative was letting her 11 mo baby crawl up and down the hall!!! shivers!)

Just make sure it is comfortable and if an elastic waist, buy bigger sizes so it doesn't put pressure on your tummy! My son will be getting all my surgery pants when I am done with them.

Good Luck!
Unread 03-27-2003, 01:54 PM
What can I wear?

Quote:
Have you had any bleeding at all?
I had a little bit of spotting only for a day or so. I wore a pad with mesh panties that they gave me in the hosp while I was there. After I was home I wore my regular undies with a panty liner for a week or so, not cause I needed to as much as it was such a habit to always "be prepared".

I didn't get any panties any larger than I regularly wear. My uterus was the size of a 16 week pregnancy and I figured (and correctly for me) that once it was gone the swelly belly couldn't make me any larger than it had. I could even wear my jeans at 2 weeks post op, but just for short periods of time, then it was back to my sweats (of course my surgery was in February in Maine so the sweats were just the thing)

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register