Epidural or to be put to sleep is the million dollar question! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural or to be put to sleep is the million dollar question! Epidural or to be put to sleep is the million dollar question!

Unread 03-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Epidural or to be put to sleep is the million dollar question!

I saw the doctor today for pro op visit. I'm having a total hysterectomy due to endometreosis. He gave me the option today of either being put to sleep or getting some type of epidural. my desision has to be made by monday. I just wanted to hear others experiences and what there choices were.
Thanks to every one who listens!!!!
Ninette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2003, 06:57 PM

Hi Ninette

This is a question that comes up fairly often. I had a general. But as a I knew what I was in for, and didn't want to know a thing. Put me out, thank you very much. BUT we all are different. I have taken care of many patients who have had epidural's, spinals, etc... and all have good outcomes. It's a matter of your desire.

The one drawback with any spinal type of anesthesia is that if for some reason the proceedure takes longer than expected, they may still have to give you a ganeral. One shot is usually it, during the surgery. Have your doctor or better yet, have the anesthiaologist talk to you at your pre-op about the pro's and con's of all that is available.

Good luck to you while making your choise. By the way - did you do a "search" on this site? Use the search button at the top of this page. You will come up with tons of threads.

Happy hunting -
Melissa
Unread 03-27-2003, 07:00 PM

Hi ninette,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

While I'm sorry that you are facing surgery, I am glad that you found us and posted.

In my case, I wasn't given a choice. I had general anesthesia (with an anti-nausea drug in my IV) and then when I woke up I was hooked up to a morphine pump that I controlled. I didn't have any unpleasant aftereffects of the anesthesia, and don't remember being in any pain that wasn't controlled by pain meds.

Be sure to read our pre-op and post-op hints that are found here:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Page

Post-Op Hysterectomy Page

I hope you'll continue to read, research, and come back to post any additional questions that you may have.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2003, 07:02 PM

I had an epidural plus sedation, and for all purposes was completely "out". Once I was in recovery I was pretty much awake and alert, just numb from tummy down for about 15 minutes (kind of wierd but was ok). I understand that one positive aspect of this is that your tummy area remains numb for quite a few more hours. I was glad I made my decision but am sure that someone else will chime in here with good reasons for doing it another way.
Good luck,
Barb
Unread 03-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Offered Both

I was offered the choice of general anesthesia alone or general plus epidural. I was told that with the addition of an epidural there is less pain for the first 24 hours. I figured it was just delaying the pain till the numbness wore off so I chose sedation alone.
Unread 03-27-2003, 07:47 PM

Today I went for my pre-op. I absolutely do not want an epidural. There's no way I want to be aware at any level while they work on me. Plus I have serious lumbar stenosis.

If I write on my consent form "no epidural" can they still go ahead and give me an epidural against my will?
Unread 03-27-2003, 07:47 PM

Today I went for my pre-op. I absolutely do not want an epidural. There's no way I want to be aware at any level while they work on me. Plus I have serious lumbar stenosis.

If I write on my consent form "no epidural" can they still go ahead and give me an epidural against my will?
Unread 03-27-2003, 09:29 PM

I had a TAH/BSO, and was also told by my doctor I could have an epidural, or be out altogether. In the next breath, he said he was telling me this only because he felt he had to give me all my options. I asked his opinion.
He said he preferred I was sedated. While no one foresees any problems arising during surgery, he said that if anything did occur, it would be better for both him and me if I was not aware of it. He could handle the issue without worrying about my fear.
I had to agree.
On a lighter note, he said he plays music when he does surgery, and I might not care for his choice, and he didn't want any critics in his operating room! (He played soft rock, and I would have been okay with it!!)

HollyG
Unread 03-27-2003, 10:41 PM

My doc plays music too. He asked if I had any requests,like I could hear when I'm getting knocked out. I don't want to know. My doc also said he prefers that for the same reasons as yours. In case there's an issue. He probably doesn't want me to be able to ask any more questions : )

Sounds like we have the same doc.
Unread 03-28-2003, 03:52 AM

That makes sense to me. Epidural sounds like a good choice for some, but I am terrified of surgery and have had some truly horrific experiences. Plus I am manic depressive and will be off my usual meds. I really don't want to be aware and manic while someone operates on me. No telling what will happen!

(One of my previous surgeons - orthopedic - lost his licence for malpractice. He certainly botched my surgery. If I'd have been awake, I might have been using words my mother never taught me.)

Thanks
Liatris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register