Bone Marrow Biopsy this Tuesday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bone Marrow Biopsy this Tuesday Bone Marrow Biopsy this Tuesday

Unread 03-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Bone Marrow Biopsy this Tuesday

Hello - I had my Hysterectomy 4 1/2 weeks ago and it went pretty well. During my surgery I started bleeding at times when I shouldn't have and my platelet count was very high. My Dr. immediately made me an appointment with the Hematologist. She really didn't say much else about it so I really was not too concerned.

A little background - around 4 years ago I had a physical and my platelet count was a little high so my Dr. ordered more blood work six months later. This blood works was just a little high also and he thought it was not high enough to do anything about. Three weeks before my surgery I got this terrible flu and ended up in the hospital and found out that I also had a mild case on pneumonia. My platelete count was over 650,000 (your platelets should not be over 400,000.).

2 weeks ago I went to the Hemotologist he drew blood and my platelet count was 560,000 and my white blood count was 12,500 (you white count should not be over 10,000). He wanted me to have a Bone Marrow Biopsy soon. It is scheduled for Tuesday and I am so scared. I hate needles.

I have been researching this and have found a few different possiblities as to what is wrong, only one "Essential Thrombocythemia" is simple. All the other possibilities are terrible. I have so much going thru my head its driving me crazy. Like why did I get so sick with the flu and pneumonia I have never had that in my life. If something is wrong I would never had known about it if I haden't had my hysterectomy. But then I feel fine with really no symptoms, although for years I have attributed all my problems where female related. I am not sick now so it really makes sence that I just have high platelets and thats that.

I will find out the results a week from this Tuesday, if I don't go crazy before that. Sometimes I think I am more nervous about the Biopsy then what might follow.

Thanks for letting me ramble and if anyone else has been thru somethinhg like this please let me know, I could use any advise you have.

Thank you,
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2003, 11:18 AM

s Kelly

I was found to have a high platelet count before my surgery for ovarian cancer in 2001. As a matter of fact, this condition (thrombocytosis) actually caused my surgery to be delayed for seven weeks!!! My own platelet count was over one million. I was sent to a hematologist as well and had a bone marrow biopsy performed along with some very rare type of blood testing.
Thankfully, everything was normal, I took oral medicine to lower the platelet count. Since surgery my platelets have been normal and it is now thought they were so high pre surgery as a response to the disease in my pelvis.
The bone marrow biopsy itself was not too unpleasant. I laid on my stomach, they used a local anesthetic, and all I felt was an unpleasant pressure. They area the needle entered was my upper hip toward the back. No pain at all after the procedure.
I too did alot of researching thrombocytosis. Perhaps you do have essential thrombocytosis. Best wishes to you and please don't fear the biopsy too much.

karenann
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:12 PM

Thank you for the words of encourgement. I feel better knowing that it won't be all that bad. My Dr. said I will get two different type of "relaxers" and it does not take much for my system to relax so I'm hoping with those and the local maybe just maybe I won't scream so loud the whole hospital hears me.

God Bless

Kelly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register