To all of my sisters with Gallbladder problems...HELP!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To all of my sisters with Gallbladder problems...HELP!!! To all of my sisters with Gallbladder problems...HELP!!!

Unread 03-28-2003, 12:20 PM
To all of my sisters with Gallbladder problems...HELP!!!

Hi again my wonderful sisters!!!!!!!!!

I have yet another problem I think I may have mentioned once before, but it is getting worse!!

I have a horrible burning sometimes throbbing pain right below my rib cage.

As I posted before, I had alot of test run when I went to the hospital and they said I had possible adenomyostitis(sp?) of the gallbladder. I am not sure if that can cause pain and I had no gallstones when they did my ultrasound, so I am very confused as to what it is!!

I went in and left my scans and x-rays with my Dr's receptionist as my Dr was off today. I attached a note asking her to call me after she looks them over. That probably wont be until Monday.

My pelvic pain is also HORRIBLE today!! I go to the bathroom expecting to be gushing blood, but of course that is not possible.. My stomach is even swollen and I just FEEL like there is something in there! It is very strange. :confuse:

Hopefully one day I will post something positive!!

Last question is what do they remove gallbladders for? Just gallstones or gallbladder disease?

Thanks for any input!!

's to all of my friends!!!!!!!!

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2003, 12:58 PM

Pam, they remove gallbladders for both reasons as far as I know. Just wondering .......have you ever been told you might have IBS? Thought I'd throw that out there. Here's a for you to feel better soon.

Emily
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:29 PM

Thanks Emily!!

I have not ever been diagnosed with IBS but have mentioned it to my Dr since I do have a few of the symptoms that go along with it. They told me that was not the problem and that there was no test to diagnose it but my symptoms go hand in hand with other medical probs.

I have a couple of friends that have IBS and our symptoms are very different, although I am sure I show some of the same ones.

Thanks for the info, maybe I will bring it up again when I go back in to see her..

Thanks again.....

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2003, 02:34 PM

Hi Pam,
I really don't know what it is that you are talking about. I had some problems with my gallbladder many years ago. (billary sludge) and they gave me some actigall and my symptoms went away. I didn't need surgery. I hope you don't need any surgery. Sending you prayers and hugs.
Unread 03-28-2003, 06:22 PM

Thanks, the pain I am having is right sided, right below my ribcage. It has been hurting all night and the pain radiates around to the side.

I am just so sick of new pain that is unexplained. I am now feeling nauseous.. Maybe It is just all in my warped head!!

Thanks for hanging in there with me and my problems!!!!

Pam
Unread 03-28-2003, 07:45 PM

Pam,
I've not had to deal with gallbladder problems but I have dealt with new pains. Most of them unexplained. Than of course their's the old pains to deal with too. I do understand how you must be feeling. I'm still looking for answers. Tonight I'm having the burning, stinging in the abdomen. I do have problems with nausea also. Luckily I do have some meds for that. Perhaps one of your meds is causing the nausea????

In any case, don't ever hesitate to call the doctor or go to the ER if you think something is just not right. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.

Unread 03-29-2003, 06:53 AM

((Pam)),
I looked for some info on that adenomystisis but couldnt find any, here is some info on Gallbladder problems & symptoms:

Acute cholecystitis:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...icle/000264.htm

http://www.lubbocksurgical.com/unde...der_surgery.htm

What are Gallstones?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/home?id=5.1.1.7.8

Quote:
Signs and Symptoms
You may not know you have gallstones until they're discovered during routine tests. But sometimes they may cause certain symptoms. These include:
Chronic indigestion. Symptoms of indigestion may include nausea, heartburn, bloating and sometimes abdominal pain. But even if you have gallstones, they often aren’t the cause of your digestive problems. A number of other conditions — including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and peptic ulcers of the stomach or duodenum — can also cause chronic indigestion. For that reason, it’s important to discuss your symptoms carefully with your doctor.
Sudden, steady and moderate-to-intense pain in your upper abdomen. This usually signals a gallbladder attack. The pain may begin after eating, but may also occur at other times — even at night. It can last from 15 minutes to several hours. Gallbladder pain starts in your upper-middle or upper-right abdomen and may shift to your back or right shoulder blade. After the pain subsides, you might have a mild aching or soreness in your upper abdomen that can last for up to a day. Gallbladder attacks occur infrequently weeks, months or even years apart. Daily abdominal pain is usually not a symptom of gallbladder disease.
Nausea and vomiting. These symptoms may accompany a gallbladder attack.Sometimes gallstones escape the gallbladder and enter the duct leading from your liver and gallbladder to your small intestine (common bile duct). They may also occasionally enter the duct leading to your pancreas.In some cases, a stone may block one of these ducts — a condition that can be fatal if not treated. You'll likely have pain and sometimes fever due to inflammation at or near the site of the blockage. Other symptoms of bile duct obstruction include:
Yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes (jaundice)
Clay-colored stools
Tea- or coffee-colored urine
A high fever with shaking chills if an infection develops as a result of the obstructionIf you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical treatment right away. Keep in mind that you may have jaundice and changes in the color of your urine or stools without also having pain or indigestion.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00165&
I agree with ((Kim)) about maybe going to the ER You need to have this new pain checked...Good Luck ((Pam))
Pls keep us posted...(((hugs)))
Unread 03-29-2003, 09:07 AM

((Pam))

I had my gall bladder removed during my last surgery. The pain was right under the right rib cage and sometimes radiated to the sternum and back areas. It came on severe after I ate a heavy fatty meal this last time and took days to calm down with very little to eat, lots of soups and fluids(important not to get dehydrated). I had a ab US done but there were no stones, I was already scheduled for the ab surgery for possible cystic ovary(which turned out to be adhesions) so I consulted a surgeon to get a dx. He and I decided that it would be best (for me) to consider having the gall bladder removed since I was already going under for other surgery. From my understanding, not all gall bladder disease and stones require surgery BUT your DR needs to know what is going on to help you make the best decision for your particular situation. My pathology report came back that the gall bladder was diseased with dark green sludge, inflammation and adhesions (due to the trauma??) so I am glad I elected to have it removed.

With that all said, gall bladder symptoms can be very tricky to dx because the symptoms as in a lot of medical situations can be the same of other medical problems. So please follow up with your DR and by all means if you feel worse or are concerned go to the ER.

I am so sorry, s I know this is on top of a lot of stuff you have going on already, I will keep you in my ers. BTW: they were able to do this surgery at the same time as my adhesiolysis and I faired really well in recovery from the gall bladder side especially.

Please keep us posted,
lenee
Unread 03-29-2003, 01:55 PM

Hi Pam, to you! Sorry you're having so many problems. I just had my gallbladder removed on thursday. They didn't find any stones but I had a hida scan done three years before when I first began having problems with it and it said my gallbladder functioned at a very low level, Probably not at all by the time I had it out. My surgeon said these scans rarely get better if at all. I'm doing ok, the surgery went well, I'll find out what the pathology report says at my post op visit? I hope. I am experiencing some pain, not as bad today tho, I'm mostly just tired. oh, btw I had it done laporoscoply so recovery time is minimal. Dr. said recovery time is about a week or two and no heavy lifting for three weeks. So it's not too bad. I hope you feel better soon, the ladies here provided you with lots of good info, I hope it helps you. Take care Kathyanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register