To Lupron or not to Lupron?? Help me decide, My next shot is 2 days away! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To Lupron or not to Lupron??  Help me decide, My next shot is 2 days away! To Lupron or not to Lupron?? Help me decide, My next shot is 2 days away!

Unread 03-31-2003, 08:40 AM
To Lupron or not to Lupron?? Help me decide, My next shot is 2 days away!

Second lupron shot is two days away. Told my dr. I didn't want to be on it in first place, but she wasn't interested in my opinion ( yes, I should have ditched her right then and there), but my insurance gives me little options. I've been on this drug before and hated the side effects and just don't want to continue. My Dr. thinks If I just stay on it for three more months it could shrink lesions and get me out of pain. So far that hasn't happend and I got a period anyway. Right now I am doubled over in pain. Why do doctors put you on Lupron when surgery is emminent. I've read that it's easier to spot Endo if the surgeons can see the lesions. I'm so confused. Do I continue on the shots or put my foot down and say NO!! I'm so afraid she will dismiss me as some crazy patient who can't decide what to do. Maybe it's the Lupron making me so indecisive??? I'm 43, have a child and need advice. My Dr. says if the Lupron doesn't work we will do a hysterectomy. What about a Laporoscopy ( would be my4th) or a Laparotomy to excise and get at all the endo without making me go into surgical menopause. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your support.

Pam W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2003, 03:11 PM

Hi Pam,

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I was on Lupron for two months and while it was for different reasons I hope I can give you some support.

I had two (monthly) shots because I was bleeding so badly. I continued to bleed and spot through the first month, and didn't even feel any side effects until the end of the second month, which was about a week before my surgery. So it could be that it takes a while for the Lupron to do what it's supposed to do.

That said, you sound as though you don't have much confidence in your doctor. If this is the case I highly recommend that you get a second and even a third opinion! Ask all the questions you can think of (make a list) --- and if your doctor won't answer them, find another doctor who will.

You need to stand up for yourself. I know you said that your insurance gives you few options, but you should REALLY investigate them!

I hope this helps somewhat!

z
Unread 04-02-2003, 07:53 PM

Hi Pam,

I agree with gustogal. Consider strongly getting another opinion. A doctor who is not interested in your opinion, should not be your doctor. The least she can do is listen and then explain again her side and then leave the decision up to you. Afterall, you have had this drug before...it's not like you didn't try it.

Lupron...is not a cure. Even if it does work you cannot stay on it for long. It is a very short term drug that has its purpose; to stop or slow bleeding, to shrink fibroids, to shrink the surgery site so that surgery can be more doable, it's also used to help diagnosis. I was offered the drug and after researching it I told my doctor, "no thank you." Some here have taken it and it did the trick for them, others have taken it and couldn't tolerate the side effects.

I'm with gustogal, ask your doctor again to make it very clear to you why she wants you on the drug against your wishes. If you still feel the same then say, "no thank you". If she dismisses you, then so-be-it! You need to see another doctor anyway for another opinion.

I'm sorry that we can't decide for you. Each of us have to fret over this decision. Do some more research on the drug and make your list of questions. One more thought. Sign a medical release on the spot and get your medical records including each test result while you're there. I don't think your doctor will actually tell you to take the drug or take a walk. But...you may feel pressured and insecure, so plan on that. Be ready to say NO if that is how you feel.

If endo is your major problem, look for a doctor who specializes in this. It takes a highly skilled surgeon to operate for endo. Removing the visible endo may help for a bit but it will reappear as long as the uterus is there. It originates in the uterus and backs out the tubes into the pelvic cavity and then attaches itself to ovaries and intestines.

Be sure to let us know how your appointment goes. Hang in there....and take someone with you. If your hubby goes, he can stay in the room the whole time and listen and write down answers. If he can't make it, take a friend.

Best of luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2003, 11:27 PM

Pam,

Your doc seems to be the opposite extreme of my former doc. My first doc would hardly give me options, until I brought them up. Then he would say "But we'll wait until....." Hmm lets see, first it was medication, then it was hormones,then it was a laparoscopy, then it was more medication, changing antidepressants, blah blah.... the last visit I had with him, he told me to "just double your antidepressant and I'm sure you'll find that you can deal with it." Excuse me but WHAT?? Deal with it?? I was paying HIM to HELP me deal with it, and his coat does not indicate that he is a psychiatrist and as an OB GYN he should KNOW that there are more options than just antidepressants !! I was hysterical ! Your doc seems to be dictating you care! Now, granted, she is the physician, and has education etc.... BUT, PLEASE do not forget, that this is YOUR body, YOUR care, YOUR LIFE that she is dictating ! I will begin Lupron soon, for the first time. I'm nervous, mainly because of the side effects, but for me, it's time to try something new, and of my options, this is the one that I have chosen. I have found a doctor who listens and gives me options, provides educational material (pamphlets, video tapes) AND tells me straight up what I'm facing if said options fail or succeed. I urge you to stand up for yourself ! Put your foot down with her, or seek medical care elsewhere. If you find out through other medical opinions that you do in fact need the Lupron , it's still YOUR choice ! Please don't make that choice because someone is NOT giving you a choice ! You are worth so much more !!

I hope that I don't sound harsh... I certainly don't intend to. I just believe with all my heart that there are some doctors out there who only treat patients as if they are case studies out of a textbook ! I have never been a diagram or a chapter in someones "book". I am flesh and blood, heart and soul... as are you !! I will no longer tolerate paying to be treated as less !

s
and best of luck with your decision !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register