love to hear some advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

love to hear some advice love to hear some advice

Unread 03-31-2003, 06:21 PM
love to hear some advice

Here are my symptoms, I think I know what is wrong but I haven't had a doc confirm this- have an app apr 7 with a new gyn so I am hoping he has a plan. If anyone has similar symptoms, I'd appreciate info, I have eliminated several ideas- this is a good thing, we are narrowing the possibilities.
Here are my problems
after surgery 6-11 for a bladder lift (needle suspension) lavh I had incontinence, rotated pelvis and pain in the midgroin about where your ovaries are. The pain in my groin is directly related to movement not to any cycle. I would get pain about 2-3 hrs any time I moved my legs too much. I walked much slower and my stride was shortened I had the bladder lift undone since my NEW uro/gyn thought the pain in groin could be from pereyra sutures, he put in a sling instead. this wasn't the problem, went to physical therapy on 3 different occassions this helped my rotated pelvis but not the groin pain. trigger point injections - no help. I experience pain from any movement to my legs or from sitting upright too long. or even the movement of my hips during sex. I think when the doc did the hysterectomy he sutured my ovaries too tight to the supporting ligament so whenever I move it pulls internally. My lower abdomen has these indentions like something is pulling internally. Does anyone know how a hysterctomy with the ovaries left in is actually done. what do they use to support the ovaries and fallopian tubes once the uterus is gone.
Well that is my story and I would love any input
Thanks
paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2003, 09:00 PM
love to hear some advice

Hi Paula

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you've had such a series of problems.

I'm no expert, but surely there will be more knowledgeable sisters along soon. It is my understanding that the Fallopian tubes are removed with the hysterectomy and the ovaries are just left. I didn't understand them to be sutured but I could be wrong. In fact, I thought that one of the things that could happen is that they could float around and be difficult to see on an ultrasound.

Hope you get some satisfaction from your

Joselle
Unread 03-31-2003, 09:01 PM
love to hear some advice

Paula,

I am sorry to hear you are having these problems. Hope your upcoming appt goes well and that your doc helps you to resolve your pain.

As far as your wanting more information on the hysterectomy procedure, you may want to visit www.pelvicfloor.com Warning, not for the squeemish. You might find it too graphic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2003, 10:14 PM
thx joselle and michelle

I linked on the pelvis floor site and got a lot of great information. I am so thankful for everyone who has responded with information or tells me about sites. I am so much better informed about anatomy and surgery and problems. I am going on Monday to the doctor and I feel very confident that we can get to the bottom of this IF he is willing to dialogue. The problem with my last doctor was he VERY nice and a compenent doctor but since my problems were all caused by the way my first doctor had performed my hysterectomy he was unwilling to discuss what went wrong. He would just avoid the discussion and if I pressed it he would just say- Don't worry, I'll get you better. I am know going to see a new obgyn on MOnday and I have been praying for weeks he is willing to discuss what the possile causes are for my problems. thanks again for the information and if anyone has any new suggestion I would love to hear them. I am pretty sure I now know what is wrong. I think the doctor sewed everything too tight and when I move it pulls on my uterosacral ligmanent which runs from your pubic area up your groin around to your back. hence all my problems. But we will see what the doctor says.
Unread 04-06-2003, 10:03 AM
love to hear some advice

I am so curious to hear what your doctor says because I am experiencing that same kind of pain. For me, walking up and down stairs or doing anything where my upper body twists or if I bend backwards(I'm a ballet dancer, so when I'm dancing), it really feels like something has a hold of my ovaries. I feel like they are being pulled on(maybe adhesions?) This kind of pain is something that I feel most days, but everything gets MUCH worse during 1-2 weeks out of each month. Let me know what your doctor says
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:01 PM
pasdechat

thanks for your reply. I was curious to know how your problem started. I checked your profile but I didn't see too many details. Is there an old post I could read to see your history. Mine is all due to the surgery. I didn't have any female problems prior. My hysterectomy was done because my doctor said it was pressing on my bladder and that was a problem. I have since learned so much information that tells me I did not need the surgery he recommended. I needed other repairs done but too late now. I am so glad I am better educated now. I am far more knowledgeable about my anatomy. I find it very interesting. If I didn't already have a great job as a housewife and mom and so many medical problems I would be in the medical field. I will let you know what my doctor says. I just pray that he will dicuss this with me and not just avoid the topic. I have had that too many times, since this is the direct result of a a failed surgery they don't want to criticize another doctor. But I just want to get better, and we have to discuss what went wrong in order to know how to correct it. Please keep me in your prayers. I am impressed that you are a ballet teacher. My sister in law was a ballerina in Portugual until she got older (25) and also got injured. She still dances for pleasure and it is so cool to watch her. I have a hard time being very active. I still work out and do weights but my running career is on hold. I can only run very slowly about 1.5 miles and thenonly once a week. Any more and my low back starts to seize up with a spasm. I think because the pullin sensation is on a ligament that runs up my hip and around to my low back where it attaches to the spine. You must have a good grasp of anatomy since you are a dancer. Well good luck and I would love to hear more of your situation. (PS I have twins also)
paula
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:23 PM
love to hear some advice

I will give you a quick history.....I started having painful periods as soon as I got my period back after having my twins. It got worse and worse. The laparoscopy showed no endo, but my doctor still treated me as if I had endo. I went on BCP's(which helped) and went on Lupron(which helped also). When not on those drugs, my periods were very painful and got heavier and heavier. I was spotting the week before my period, then I'd bleed for a week and then spot for another week. So I'd have about a week with no bleeding. My doctor and I decided I should have the hysterectomy. I told him I only wanted my ovaries removed if they looked bad. They looked fine, so he left them in. I did have some scar tissue, but no endo. Well, I could tell my ovaries "woke up" at about 3 weeks post-op and at about 4 weeks post-op, the pain got worse. At about 5 weeks post-op, my face broke out and my breasts got really sore....I felt like I was pregnant! That's when the pain got bad and now, 10 months later, it's just as bad as before my surgery. I have cyclical pain that gets really, really bad and then I have pain from my bladder(I have interstitial cystitis) and I also have that strange pulling sensation in my pelvic area where my ovaries are....more on the left than the right. It does get worse during "that time", but it's there almost all the time. My urologist thinks that even with the 2 surgeries, that I still might have endo. It could have been in places where the doctor couldn't see it or maybe it's microscopic???? I'm sure after I see my uro on Friday, he'll tell me to go back to my gyn, then we'll take it from there! I'll let you know what I find out and please let me know what you find out

BTW...how old are your twins?
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:38 PM
pasdechat

Hi, my twins are indentical 11 yr old girls and I have a 12 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. Thanks for your history. I have had people who have period related problems tell me their pain is in the same location as mine but mine is not related to my cycle at all. Just to movement, squatting, prolonged walking bicyle ect. I am afraid that this new doctor is not going to want to discuss what went wrong. I am going tin very prepared with all my record and a chronology of what has been done. I just HOPE that he wants to help me. I am willing to try whatever they suggest. (within reason) but I just want them to suggest something and not just look at me when I explain my problems. I just hope he isn't timid like my last doctor. H e was a compentent very nice man but he was a conflict avoider so he never would give me a straight answer as to what he thought. Or maybe he truely didn't know. I am having a hard believing that it is difficult to figure out. I feel I have substantial clues if I could just find an intelligent doctor. I am aprehensive since my appointment is tomorrow and I have been waiting so long- I last saw a urogyn in decemeber and then I had to switch medical groups and it has taken this long to go through the process and this is my first appointment with this new doctor. I am nervous. plus my DH doesn't get it. I have been learning a lot of independence with my problems since I have to go with what I know even though I haven't had a doctor confirm it yet. My DH is nice and sweet but he doesn't think there is anything wrong. He doesn't say it and he says he believes me but there is that lack of true understanding. But I think learning to stand alone has been a valuable lesson. He doesn't have to get it and that has to be OK with me. I just talk to my girlfriends about it and even though they don't have any answers at least they act sympathetic.
well I will let you know what happens. I am typing up all my questions and stuff since I know I will have tons of info and not a lot of time so I need to get cracking
paula
Unread 04-07-2003, 01:17 PM
pasdechat

I went to the dr this morning and he thinks it could be a cross between obtrutor nerve entrapment inguinal nerve entrapment and scar tissue. He is going to review my records and I will see hime next week. He say he doesn't want to jump into surgery but he is already formulating a plan. He also told me my first sugery was a hybrid of several different types and he had never seem a bladder lift done quite this way. So I was very pleased that he would dialoge with me and he showed me in a book the problem andI liked that.
Well I will let you know next week when he tells me his plan.
paula
Unread 04-07-2003, 11:19 PM
love to hear some advice

Thanks for the update! It sounds like you had a positive doctor appointment today That's what I'm hoping for when I go to my doctor on Friday. Definately let me know what your doctor says next week!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register