What type of anestesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What type of anestesia What type of anestesia

Unread 04-01-2003, 12:18 PM
What type of anestesia

Hello Ladies,

I will be having my surgery on April 17th. I will be having an abdominal hysterectomy and will be keeping my ovaries. I'm 40 years old and I have fibroids along with heavy bleeding during my mentrual. My question is what is your thoughts on what type of anestisia to take. I have a friend who and general and said the anestetic made her really sick. She said an epideral along with gas is the best way to go. Well, I'm not to thrilled about the needle in my back. I would like to know your input on this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2003, 12:38 PM
epidural

i've had epidural w/ a c-section and for pain relief w/ my second child. There's nothing to it. I',m having it tommorrow for a tah and tummy tuck. I certainly would reccomend it rather than a tube down ur throat. good luck
Unread 04-01-2003, 01:18 PM
What type of anestesia

I had both a spinal and epidural with my 2 c-sections. Hoped to repeat one of those with TAH last week .... I went with the general and am OH SO HAPPY I did! I remember them prepping, was awake to talk with everyone initially in surgery, and the next thing I remember was talking to the nurse, post-op, less than 30 minutes later. I was much "groggier" with the spinal and the ephidural, and both lasted longer in my system. With the general, there was only an IV in my hand, which they then hooked to morphine I could control and gave me a dose of Zofram--a wonderful nausea drug. I felt very alert and "withit" during those first hours post surgery--which I didnt with the other two. And I can't imagine having the poke in the back all day. They have so improved the general that the risks are very small. The Dr said it is easier for them, because you don't even feel the tugging and such that you do with the other two. It is a personal decision, but I am pleased I didn't argue for the other!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2003, 01:21 PM
What type of anestesia

Peior to my surgery there was a thread on Zofram-- and someone suggested telling your Dr if youre nervous about the nausea, and they'll have a standing order for it ... I think that was a great idea! Most Drs. understand that fear, and I know mine was very sensitive to it, and that gave me comfort with the general.
Unread 04-01-2003, 03:44 PM
What type of anestesia

I'm familiar with gererals. Had 3, not counting two when I was 1-1/2 yrs old. Generals make me groggy for about 36 hrs. but that's about it. I've never felt nausiated from them. I'm leary of someone putting a needle in my back also and I don't want to be awake during a surgery either.
Best wishes on your castle visit.
Unread 04-02-2003, 12:18 PM
What type of anestesia

Thanks for all of your input. This will be my first surgery ever and so I am a little nervous about nausea. I'm also wondering about my recovery too. Is there anyone out there where their hysterectomy was their first surgery ever? I know it's good to get up and walk so that the gas will pass. I'm just a little concerned about getting around.
Unread 04-04-2003, 11:32 AM
What type of anestesia

Hi peaceful, My hysterectomy wasn't my first surgery ever,but I just wanted to tell you what happened to me. I had a TVh,and I definitely wanted a spinal,but yet I didn't want to be fully awake.
Through the years,and maybe just because I had heard that a spinal is safer than a general,I decided on the spinal. I explained to my doctor about my fears of having a general anesthetic,and he said that he understood,and he could just give me a spinal.
So they gave me a spinal,with the needle,and then I had an injection so I wasn't all the way under,but yet not wide awake to know what was going on. Actually it was great,I didn't remember any of it when it was over.
But not very long after the surgery was over,my doctor came in the recovery room to check on me,and he said that I had to go back in the operating room because I had a bleeder,and he had to get to it.
By this time my spinal hadn't fully worn off,but feeling was coming back. anyway, I ended up having to have a general,because the anesthesiologist didn't want to do another spinal back to back. So to make a long story short I ended up having to have both,and am just fine. THe general was fine, I didn't have a sore throat or anything. What happened to me is rare,so don't worry,but what ever anesthetic you decide,I'm sure you will be just fine. Take care,Barbie
Unread 04-04-2003, 11:50 AM
What type of anestesia

Hi Peaceful

Have you talked to your DR about your anesthesia? You may want to because you may not have a choice in what you get. I was all set to have a spinal, but my DR said because my surgery was going to take almost four hours he could only do the general. It turned out fine with the general. The only problem I had was getting nauseated when they brought me food the first time. As someone else here mentioned, I had my DR leave a standing order of anti-nausea meds, and they immediately gave me some and then I was fine.

Good luck to you!!

Unread 04-04-2003, 02:35 PM
What type of anestesia

You will probably have a chance to discuss anesthesia in detail at your pre-op exam, or at the very least when you get to the hospital the day of your surgery. Be sure and discuss ALL of your concerns. I was a little hesitant about getting an epidural too, but it really doesn't hurt, just feels a bit strange. I had an epidural with light anesthesia for the surgery, with the epidural left in for pain control afterwards. Worked great for me.

Joselle
Unread 04-04-2003, 05:22 PM
What type of anestesia

Hi,
Well, I had a TAH about 4 months ago. I have had both before. I have a spinal with my c- section, and a general with my TAH. I also have had a history of nausea. They gave my something in my IV, just to be on the safe side. I had no problems at all with. I just was a more droggy I think, but other then that no problems at all.And my Doctor chose the general because he wasn't sure how long the surgery would be and a general last longer then the spinal. So I hope this helps.
Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register