Well I will be off to the castle again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well I will be off to the castle again Well I will be off to the castle again

Unread 04-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Well I will be off to the castle again

Here is the update from my doc visit today... To make it brief, he could not feel anything abnormal, nothing abnormal showed in the ultrasound. So I think reluctantly he is doing a lap to apease me. Atleast that is the way I felt when I left his office. After the ultrasound he wouldnt even tell me about the lap. IE what he was going to do blah blah blha, just that a nurse would call me to schedule it. I left his office in shock. Not because I didnt have an answer, but I felt like the only reason he was doing the lap is because I told him I could not take the pain any longer. He did try the "Not a gyn thing" excuse... But I told him my gp sent me, saying it must be gyn related.

I have a few lap questions... What should I expect. My first lap, was my hyst. Do they give you pain meds for after, or is that only if they do work. I dont have a date yet, I will keep you posted. A nurse told me I might be out of work for 2-3 days???? Seem right? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2003, 10:15 PM

((Susie))

First off, big s sister, I truly know how frustrating it can be to have the DR seem to give you a brushed off feeling. I had to have an add'l lap done 5 wks ago for what the doc believed to be an ovarian cyst and unexplained pelvic pain- I told him from the get go I thought it was adhesions but he seemed not to want to discuss this issue. Adhesions it was the left ovary(the only one I have) was totally wrapped up as where my bowels adhered together I said all that to say this, sometimes we really don't know what's going on in there until the DR takes a look see so I don't blame you for pushing for this.

As far as the lap and recovery, everyone differs as they do from hyst surgery but it will definitely depend on if DR finds anything in there. It was my understanding that at least a week if no other work is done and up to two weeks or longer if they have to do any type of repairs or adhesiolysis. I was actually off 4 wks with this last one, I pushed the time off because I had my gall bladder removed during the same lap as the adhesiolysis. I had a very understanding boss and short term disability so I thought it was worth healing and trying to get a good recovery in.

I truly hope he is able to find some answers for you in there and help you off this road. Please keep us posted on the date! You can also email [email protected] with your date so it can be placed on the Road Calendar for upcoming surgeries.

Big s,
lenee
Unread 04-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Susie.......

Please be sure to discuss this lap procedure with your Dr in more detail prior to having it done. If you are being told that you will have a 2-3 day recovery period.....what will happen if you require more than that? Will he provide you with a formal letter excusing you from work for longer? If you are concerned about pain managemnet.....that is something that you should ask about now, don't wait until after you are out of surgery when you will be less able to be your own advocate.

I say these things only out of concern for you. I had a tubal done via lap in 99'(?) and my Dr was of the old school where women had babies in the field and threw them on their backs and went back to work! I had my surgery on a Fri. and was released to return back to work on mon. morning. Because of his "release", I had to return as I was the only assistant at a very busy dental office running 3 operatories. I was miserable and ended up with my incision re-opening and having a VERY hard time convincing him that I required more pain meds than the 20 or so that I was sent home with.

Just be sue to get your questions out of the way now. Try not to question yourself about the need for the lap, as hard as that it, (I know) but you know your body and you know when something is not right. I wish you all the best. Good luck. Lots of 's to you.

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2003, 05:39 AM

Susie,
As the other sisters have already indicated everyone is different and it will depend on the work he does. My first lap post hyst was an incision revision, nerve and scar tissue removal. For that surgery I was off of work for a week and also couldn't drive for a week. The second lap was for nerve removal and I was off work for a few days. The last lap the doc didn't find anything so I only missed a few days of work, although I could've used a few more days off.

Whatever the case, please don't push yourself. A lap is surgery no matter what the doctor does once he gets inside. It takes awhile for the effects of the anethesia to wear off and he will still be poking and prodding inside of you.

You may want to start writing down a list of questions to ask your doctor. I would definetly want to know what he is looking for and what he is going to do if he finds anything.

Good luck Suzy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register