First Time Posting/When do you feel normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First Time Posting/When do you feel normal? First Time Posting/When do you feel normal?

Unread 04-02-2003, 08:15 PM
First Time Posting/When do you feel normal?

I am set to have a total abdominal hyster. later this month. I have had so many conflicting opinions on how long it takes to feel normal. As of now I am set to keep my ovaries and tubes. How long is the hospital stay? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2003, 08:21 PM

Hi Debbie!

Welcome to HysterSisters!

I had my LAVH surgery a year ago. My uterus and cervix were removed, I kept both ovaireis. The initial recovery period is 6-8 weeks. If the recovery is going well the doctor usually clears you to resume normal activities at 6 weeks post-op. Often it can take many months to be completely healed.

I spent 1 night in the hospital. Your length of stay will be determined by the type of surgery you have and how extensive it is. Your doctor can best determine that.

After surgery it is important to get lots of rest, drink plenty of water, and take short walks around the house. Follow all of your doctor's post-op instructions. Pamper yourself!

Be sure to visit us in the Post-op Forum after you have surgery and let us know how you are doing.

s
Unread 04-03-2003, 06:02 AM

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

I had a TVH, and stayed in the hospital for only one night, like Lynn did. For an abdominal, I think the average is 2 to 3 nights, but could vary, depending on whether there are any unexpected complications.

I'm sorry that you are facing surgery, but am glad that you found us - please be sure to read our

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Page

Post-Op Hysterectomy Page

They are full of some great information and advice.

Please come back and post any other questions that you may have.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2003, 06:39 AM

Hi debbie, I am four weeks post op today, I had a tah and bso on march 6th. It has been a slow process, but i am feeling stronger each day. I know I have some time to go yet. This is a great web site to go on before and after your surgery, everyone is different and just rest , rest rest and rest again. Good luck on your upcoming surgery and remember take care of yourself and let time be your guide. I keep thinking I will get there. Juniper Breeze
Unread 04-03-2003, 08:55 AM

Hi, Debbie. I'm quite a bit older than you (52), in pretty good physical shape, but had a couple of other health problems last fall. I had my TAH, vertical incision, on 11/13. Took it easy at home, was a good princess. Spent much of those weeks at home watching television or reading with a cat sleeping in my lap (on a pillow). Went back to work on 12/19, the day after my 5-week postop, feeling pretty darn good, much too good to be at home any more. Somewhere about the second week of January I realized that I didn't just feel pretty good, considering - I felt like my real self. I believe that taking the time to just relax and heal helped me get back to normal ahead of the 6-8 weeks they usually quote for initial recovery.
Unread 04-03-2003, 10:13 AM
better than normal

I don't know about anyone else but I had my surgery 3 days ago and I feel better than I have felt in 5 years. My head is "clear" there is no moodiness, crankiness, sadness or depression. I am 32 and I feel like I am 21 again.

Keep your chin up. It is all about the attitude you take towards the surgery. If you are excited and ready you will immediately bounce back. I was smiling in the recovery room, REALLY I was!!!

The pain is minimal at least in my case. The benefits outway the uncomfortableness.

My prayers are with you and don't worry.

Suzy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register