PAP was clear, but.......... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PAP was clear, but.......... PAP was clear, but..........

Unread 04-04-2003, 11:56 AM
PAP was clear, but..........

I got my results back today and my pap was clear. I should be celebrating but.... I tried to donate blood today and no one told me this, but after having chemo you can NEVER ever donate blood again.

So, I am like, what has this chemo done to me that I can NEVER ever donate. I could understand if it was for 5 years (If you had radiation alone you could donate again in 5yrs).

I enjoyed donating before my cancer diagnosis, so this is a real bummer to me. I am sorry but all I want to do is . I can't believe it. I should be overjoyed with my results, but this has put a damper on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2003, 02:46 PM

Hi. I don't know the reason why we can't donate blood ever. But my local blood bank told me the same thing. I also donated in the past because of my rarer blood type. I think we just have to add this to our list of things that cancer has changed. I will miss this too.

Ruth S
Unread 04-04-2003, 02:48 PM
We Discussed This Today on Another Board

Once you have had chemo many agencies (like Red Cross) will no longer accept your blood. Ever. I think there is concern something could be in the blood (undetected cells) or else they don't want to take a risk of residual chemo in the blood or altered blood/bone marrow. Chemo = no. Bet if you can they'd love to have you as a volunteer especially with new donors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2003, 08:37 PM

Hi there!

Great news about the Pap! Also, I'd like to thank you because I had to have 4 units transfused after my trach and would've been in real trouble if it weren't for people like you!

I know how you feel about giving blood, it seems more visceral than other types of volunteer, like you are really giving a big part of yourself to someone else in need! I'm sure that you will be able to find something else to help others though!

I can't give blood until 7/2/2003, because of my transfusions, and I'm actually looking forward to it. It bummed me out not to be able to do it for a year, so I can understand in a small way how you feel. Take good care,

Beth
Unread 04-08-2003, 06:43 PM

on your pap.
I needed 2 pints while in surgery. Not sure when I can donate again. The mobile "Bloodmobile" that stopped by my place of employment in Dec 02 couldn't give me a date, when or if I could donate again. I will have to check into it. Instead of donating blood, maybe you could volunteer at the Red Cross.
Andrea
Unread 04-10-2003, 07:27 PM

A friend of mine tried to do a "directed donation" prior to my surgery. It was the only thing that made him feel like he was helping, so he was insistent, even though it was unlikely that I'd need the blood during surgery.

Alas, if you've lived in Europe for more than five years since 1980, the blood bank will not accept your blood. My friend is Dutch, but he has lived here since 1990 and been married for 11 years. He is as clean as a whistle and has never been ill, nor with anyone other than his wife. Yet they wouldn't let him donate.

I'm sorry to hear that this has changed for you. But as others have said, there are so many ways you can help others. I'm already trying to think about what I can do when all of this is behind me.
Unread 04-10-2003, 09:17 PM

Hello,

I am fairly new to this wonderful site. I just had my 1st radiation treatment yesterday for grade 1 mixed endocervical/endometrial ca. I am 7weeks post-op and I thought, doing fairly well.

I have donated blood in the past and am also on the bone marrow registry and it really bothers me also that I can't donate. I was also told bt my rad. oncologist that my organs ( except my corneas) would not be suitable for donation. Iam wondering if it's a permanant situation or will be resolved once I am thru with radiation ????? only 27 more to go and 1 brachy.

Still, I am amazed and thankful for the process.

Best wishes,
katrinakay

tah/bso-2/18/03 adenoca,mixed endocervical/endometrial grade 1
Unread 04-11-2003, 03:53 AM

Congratulations on the good PAP! I'm sorry that you are sad about not being able to donate. It's easy to feel frustrated that cancer has taken away something simple like that that made you feel good about yourself and how you were able to help others. And yet, I know that you will be able to find a way to fill that. There are many opportunities available to you to help others in a way that cancer cannot stop!

I am so happy to hear that your PAP came back clear, though! I hope you did something special to celebrate!

Unread 04-11-2003, 08:53 AM

Thank You all for all you kind posts.

It just hit me hard that day. It was just that I had never been able to have a child (we adopted). And now giving blood was also taken from me.

I have been thinking about getting EMT training once I get my office back in order. (In much a disarray since cancer, chemo, radiation and My dh's accident) And work with the local ambulance service.
Unread 04-11-2003, 10:00 AM

{{{{{{{{Jane}}}}}}}} just stopping in to give yu some s, congrats on your pap and best wishes on the possibility of a new career for you! You sound like a very giving and lovely lady! I have missed chatting with you......

Emily

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register