More questions re: Complex cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More questions re: Complex cyst More questions re: Complex cyst

Unread 04-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Follow-up with more questions

Good morning, ladies!

A month later, after problems with my insurance, I've got the results of my CT Scan and CA125.

CA125 was 6.6 - perfectly normal.

My CT scan results were quite different from my ultrasound, parts of which read:

"In the left adnexal region there are two closely adjacent thin walled structures felt to represent adnexal cysts measuring 20 and 27 mm in diameter . . . No inflammatory changes or free fluid is noted . . . Findings suggesting two closely adjacent simple cysts in an enlarged left ovary. In view of the composite size this process which is roughly 5.6 x 4.0 cm, further evaluation with ultrasound is recommended."

The good news is that there isn't any ascites, no other abnormalities were noted and my CA125 is low.

Everything I've read says that an ultrasound is the best diagnostic tool, but CT scans are recommended to further clarify the findings. I certainly didn't expect the CT scan to have basically the exact opposite findings of my earlier ultrasound - ultrasound says complex cyst with thick walls, CT says simple cysts with thin walls - those are big differences. Which test is more accurate and which do I believe?

I have an appointment with my gyn tomorrow to discuss what to do next - now I am completely confused. Do I still insist on a referral to a gyn-onc? My gyn told me last month that he wanted to remove the cyst and both ovaries laparoscopically and I was going to insist on laparotomy - but now I'm not sure. If it's just simple cysts and my CA125 is low, will laparoscopic surgery be safe (remembering what you said, KarenAnn).

ARRGGHHH! Help! What do I do?

Thanks, guys, for any advice.

Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2003, 05:46 PM
More questions re: Complex cyst

s Connie

Good to hear from you again.
I've given your situation alot of thought.
I still think with your family history, mom with uterine and two aunts with ovarian cancer, I would consult a gyn oncologist.
Perhaps just for a verbal consult and a review by the gyn onc of your ultrasound and your CAT scan. Your ca 125 is super!!!
I just think you'll feel more confident if a gyn onc tells you it is reasonable for you ob/gyn to remove your ovaries laproscopically.
A second opinion on this would really be wise.
Keep in touch.

karenann
Unread 04-03-2003, 05:52 PM
More questions re: Complex cyst

Me again Connie. Please excuse my goof above. I am confusing your family history with another sister. I still recommend the gyn onc opinion, however. oxoxo xkarenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2003, 10:52 PM
Ultrasound vs. C-T?

Connie:

As a sonographer, I can tell you that ultrasound is far from a perfect science! The C-T is probably better for defining the structures of "complex cysts" , especially as they related to other structures.

However, even though all this is good news, the family history still suggests to me that playing it safe with the GYN-oncologist is the best way to go. They may say that they can try to start out laparoscopically, and "convert" should it become necessary. And, even if it turns out to be polycystic ovaries, the oncologist still is the better choice for their ability to make sure they've gotten all ovarian tissue...an important distinction for you!

Glad to hear that you got the testing that you needed, although I am so sorry to hear about the wait . That's such a tense time! I hope that your mind is somewhat eased, but for real reassurance, that second opinion is a MUST.

How did the C-T contrast "go"?? Did you stay over and avoid the commute?

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register