Shingles | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Shingles

Hi Ladies
Im 8 weeks post and had a good recovery from TAH, LSO and bladder lift.
But at 6 weeks came down with shingles, go figure eh! also Im recovering from a UTI and kidney infection, which happened at 6 weeks as well! I was wondering if any other ladies are having simular problems with shingles post op. Its a real letdown as I figured Id be feeling better and back at it full speed by now. its also so painful, beond belief!!!!

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Shingles

Hi Kathy, I can't say that I've ever had shingles but I've known others who have had them and I understand they are very painful. I'm so sorry you are going through this and I just wanted to stop by with some s. I hope you feel better soon! I wonder if the shingles were brought on by stress I think I've heard of that happening but don't quote me on that. Take care and I'll keep you in my ers. Kathyanne
Unread 04-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Shingles

Hi Kathy

Unfortunately shingles can be definitely related to stress. It's amazing really that more ladies don't suffer from it postop. My husband had it a few years back after a very stressful time in our lives. If you get onto antiviral medication within 72 hours (I think that's the time frame) of the first symptoms, you can limit the pain and discomfort. There is a fairly short window of opportunity though. All the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Shingles

a special HUG for you....i had shingles when i was 17 years old...while i am one to handle pain well...it brought me to my knees. that was almost 17 years ago and i'll never forget that pain...

Wishing you a speedy recovery
Unread 04-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Shingles

((((((((((((((((Kathy))))))))))))))
Wow Do i know what you are going thru!I am 6 months post but i i got them also.Honey they are very uncomfortable and I'm sorry you have gotten them to. I have just gotten over them about a week ago.I had a small bump on my left side and at first i thought it was a mosquito bite as at first it itched.Then it started to grow and then it hurt.I also work at a Nursing home so i asked My Charge Nurse if maybe we had an outbreak of scabies which is also uncomfortable. Well no outbreak of scabies so i went to my she took one look at them and said shingles.Then i got a script for Famivar 500mg and Zovirax ointment plus i recieved 3 consective weekly shots of B12 and anitbiotics.Thank God tho i did catch them early otherwise i would be suffering still more then likely.David Letterman also had the shingles and i was teased that maybe we were in each others company.NOT i don't even know him . My Doc did tell me they are caused from stress and a low immunity plus i had also just gotten over having the flu.So boy was I a Great candidate for them.Plus they do lay dormat now in my body as once you have them there is unfortuantely a great chance of them returning. I also used a cool compress on them as yep they felt like the side of my chest was being pulled off. I Sure Hope and Pray that you Get well soon!Sending You Big Get Well ssssss Love Ivy
Unread 04-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Shingles

((((((((Kathy))))))))

I had gotten Shingles over New Year's ...I had no idea what it was only a rash and it itched I didnt think much of it. I had a cold at the time and was feeling pretty drug out. About a week later on my Birthday (what luck I have...lol) I was at work and started getting these severe pains and to make a long story short I went to the hospital by the time I got there I was not able to walk as the pain was down my leg so bad. I thought the pain from my hyst problems hurt bad...that was nothing in comparison! Anyway, they thought it was appendicitis and did a CT scan found nothing and sent me home. Went to my GP to follow up since I still wasnt feeling great and said "Oh, by the way can you take a look at this?" And I showed her the rash. She said "Shingles, thats where that pain was coming from." The hospital had missed it and I didnt think to connect it to that and tell them I had it. So now, 3 months later I am still having pains once in awhile... It passes but its not fun. I was told that the pains can come back for up to a year because what it does is cause nerve damage. Tylenol helps some and resting does too. Try to limit your stress because I have found that is what will bring the pain on...(I know I know...easier said than done!) And good luck to you!

Hugs!
Jo
Unread 04-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Shingles

(((Kathy))),
I had developed Shingles a few months ago, gosh is it painful My Dr told me it can be triggered by stress. I've developed Postherpatic Neuralgia which is Nerve damage done by the Shingles. Mine is in my right arm & the pain shots up into my neck & shoulder area. I have been taking Neurontin for the nerve pain & have had some good success Here is info on Shingles that I found when I was dx'd with it:

Understanding Postherpetic Neuralgia -- the Basics: http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/c...peticneuralgia

Nerve Pain:
http://health.discovery.com/centers/..._shingles.html

Shingles Information Page:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_...ingles_doc.htm

comprehensive resource for information about shingles:
http://www.aftershingles.com/

Good Luck & pls let us know how your doing...(((hugs)))
Unread 04-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Shingles

Shingles come from the dormant chicken pox virus in your spine. If you've never had chicken pox, you can't get shingles.

Mary D.
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:05 PM
recovery/shingles

Hey There Ladies
Thanks so much for all the support, your opinions really count and were greatly appreciated. The shingles have gone away , thank goodness and the meds have helped as well.
Im going to the doctors this week to have some bloodwork done to see if in fact my b12 is low, it probilly is as everything going around is comming my way, this weekend I had the stomach flu to boot!!!! I hope this all stops soon Im tired of being sick.
Unread 04-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Shingles

I've had shingles twice and I felt so sick when I had them! The first time I got them was about 7 years ago. The 2nd time was after my last laparascopy and before the hysterectomy. I had come down with a flu just before the hyst..and with the stress of the previous laparascopy and stress of the upcoming hyst I guess my immune system just broke down. I woke up one day with a horrible rash all over my right rib cage area. It itched like crazy and I still didn't make the connection. I let it go a week, but the aches and the pain got so bad I finally went to the doctor. He took one look and told me it was shingles. I heard David Letterman was out for a month due to shingles..lucky him I had to go to work everyday like that! They sure do hurt.....I'm sorry you had to deal with that. And, how come alot of people think only older people get shingles? I am 33 years old and first got it in my 20's. I hope you are feeling much better soon. I was very tired when I had them and had to rest alot. Take care-

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register