Is No Pain unusual? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is No Pain unusual? Is No Pain unusual?

Unread 04-08-2003, 02:40 AM
Is No Pain unusual?

Hello hystersisters, this is an incredible support network. Thanks to all of you who make it possible for it to thrive. I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO this Thursday. Naturally, I am terrified and full of questions/concerns. I was diagnosed in January with endometrial cancer, grade 1 cancer- well differentiated cells identified in my uterus. I found a wonderful doctor, during the course of obtaining a second opinion, who has had success with hormone therapy and thought I might be a good candidate for trying it out. I started taking Megace which significantly reduced the amount of bleeding and clotting I was experiencing sparadically at the time. Needless to say, I was hopeful! At any rate, about 3 weeks ago, I had a terrible morning of cramping, sweating, and my first real experience with pain. I contacted my doctor and described what I was experiencing. He decided at that time that I should have another D&C to see how/whether the hormone treatements were having the expected results. Well, the samples he took included cells that were grade 3- very aggressive. No choice, but to get them out (surgery)!!!!

I have been very fortunate not to have had more than my wisdom teeth removed until now; so, the thought of this surgery has me very nervous/scared about my life/body post-operation. Reading many of the messages on this board has helped me some with those anxieties. OK, to my question. Despite all of this: my obvious problems with bleeding, clotting, my faith in my new doctor, I am still worried that there could be something inside of me eating away at my insides and that I mostly have experienced no pain from it. Don't get me wrong, I am a big baby when it comes to pain (don't know how I'll make it through recovery); so, I'm not looking for it to occur any more than it has to! It just seems inconsistent to me. I've asked the doctors about it, and mostly the response is that this is precisely why this kind of cancer can be so problematic.

I am now experiencing the most discomfort I have since the diagnosis. My doctor has me getting iron and procrit injections to build up my hemoglobin prior to the operation. I had my first injections on Friday. Saturday, I awoke with some pressure in my bowels and it has progressed to pain each time I first sit. I had my friend look at it last night (quite humiliating, needless to say), and she says it looks like hemorhoids. Another thing I have never experienced. I will call my doctor later about this, but while I'm getting your advice/input I wondered whether anyone else has/had similar experiences or can shed any light on these subjects?

Thank you for being there,
E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2003, 05:35 AM
Is No Pain unusual?

Hello, I'm sorry you are going through this. I am scheduled for TAH / BSO with sampling of omentum and lymph nodes on 1st. May for suspected ovarian cancer. Like you, I was extremely reluctant to consider hysterectomy and seriously considered consenting only to conservative surgery, but have been persuaded that the risk is just too great.

I can maybe shed a little light on one of your problems: I too am taking extra iron for anaemia, though by mouth (200 mg x 3 daily). A very common side effect of supplementary iron is constipation. You may need to pay extra attention to your diet with lots of vegetables, fruit, whole grains etc. and you may also need an anti-constipation preparation as well.

I don't know anything about endometrial cancer (I'm sure others will post) but I know that many early cancers are completely painless. I don't think the presence or absence of pain is necessarily significant.

I wish you all the best for Thursday.
Unread 04-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Is No Pain unusual?

{{Elida}},

I had uterine cancer last year and felt absolutely no pain. Sometimes cancer is a sneaky little ***** and only proactive care will find it.

I hope you have a gyn/onc doing the surgery so he/she can check lymph nodes and any other organs in sight. I found it very comforting when I read my surgery report and noted my gyn/onc checked everything he could see and it all looked good. I still smile when I think of that .

Be sure to keep posting - we'll worry until we know you're okay.
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Is No Pain unusual?

Elida ... haemorrhoids are very painful ! I experienced them a long time ago and I can truthfully say that my TAH /BSOw was much easier to deal with! Get treatment for them as fast as you can and you will feel so much better. I was also very anxious about surgery and it was so much better than I expected .
Very Best Wishes maggie e
Unread 04-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Is No Pain unusual?

Elida
I was dx with endometrial cancer stage 1a, grade 2 last July at the age of 44. This was a total shock....I had been having severe periods, in between spotting for a while, which was attributed to perimenopause. My gyn said I did not fit the typical endometrial cancer profile.
Be sure to find out how your post op pain will be controlled. I had a pain pump so I could self medicate as needed....it was great....ask for it and if they give it to you....use it...don't wait for the pain to start....it is hard to get under control if it goes too far. If you can do it....get a private room....I did and it was worth the additional 160. I also had a family member stay with me every night....They were a wonderful help....getting me out of bed to walk, bathroom. My daughter (24) stayed 2 nights and she told me later she would get up and press my pain pump every 15 min. while I slept.....Once home, again....take your pain meds as directed....I didn't....thought I was super woman and payed dearly until the meds kicked in again. I experienced bladder pain after surgery, which the surgeon said was normal....My gyn gave me a pill that turns the urine orange....it relaxes the bladder and helps it to heal from the trauma of surgery.
I also had a hemoroid after childbirth and they hurt terribly. My gyn and gyn/onc did a colonscopy, ct scan, chest xrays and a bunch of blood work before surgery....all was clear. Be sure your surgeon will sample lymphnodes while in surgery. There have been ladies on the board that went in for a hyst, then the surgical path showed that lymphnodes should be sampled and they had to go back in for a second surgery for sampling.
Are you going to a onc/gyn for the surgery.....?Has your dr talked with you about hrt after surgery?
I know you are scared but thankfully most endometrial cancers are slow growing and not invasive. If you have any questions that I can help you with feel free to ask in the forum or email or private message me.
Unread 04-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Is No Pain unusual?

s E

There is one point I'd like to stress to you in big way!!! You are already certain of a cancer diagnosis with grade 3 cells. Please tell us that your surgery is being performed by a gyn oncologist.
If not, please get yourself an appointment with one. They are the experts. Let us know!!!

karenann
Unread 04-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Is No Pain unusual?

Thank you all for your kind words, advice, and encouragement. My doctor is in fact a gyn oncologist; so, not to worry! He has said that sampling will be done during the surgery including of my lymph nodes (thanks Dare in DC & Chris). I will definitely keep you all posted as I muddle through this. I will be notified tomorrow of my surgery time for Thursday and my pre-op info.

All of the suggestions regarding things to take & not take are really helpful.
Unread 04-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Is No Pain unusual?

Hi, Elida!

While I had a different type of cancer, I can note that I felt no pain. The diagnosis and tumor discovery were a huge and complete shock. Gynecological cancers can be so insidious. I wish there were better tests for all of them.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Surgery was painful but doable.

Can you take Collase for the constipation? I had a lot of pressure on my bowel before surgery, and I think it might have been because of one tumor's size and the pressure it was creating.

I am now dealing with chemo-related horrible bowel pain and also just got my first-ever hemorhoid, which just makes things worse.

This board has been a great source of comfort to me during a very rough month. I hope it will be of similar comfort to you. The ladies here are wonderful. I don't know what I would have done without them.

I send you s and hope your cancer is tiny and easily removed. :-)
Unread 04-10-2003, 05:58 PM
No Pain - Of Course

Most definitely it is very possible to have no pain from the cancer. I had cervical cancer on two seperate occassions and uterine cancer march of last year. I have since had my hyster and feel great.

That is why it is so important to TEST TEST TEST. Don't ever skip an annual exam. Tell your daughters, granddaughters and any female you know....TEST TEST TEST.

I am somewhat known at the office as the cheerleader for annual paps and mamos and if it helps one person then it is well worth all my preaching!!

God Bless you and remember to take it easy and take care of you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register