Rectocele Repair - 8 Weeks Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele Repair  - 8 Weeks Post Op Rectocele Repair - 8 Weeks Post Op

Unread 04-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Rectocele Repair - 8 Weeks Post Op

Hi Everyone,

I had a rectocele repair 8 weeks ago and still find it difficult to sit. The problem sitting is not from the cut outside the vagina but more so from the inside. I think it is from the muscles inside etc.
I am feeling really down today, because I thought by now I would be further along. I have to return to work next week. I have been off work 8 weeks and don't know how I am going to handle sitting at my desk job. I might start off part time for a few weeks.

My doctor says everything looks good and has recommended physical therapy for scar tissue and possibly biofeedback.

Has anyone out there that has had a rectocele felt like this at 8 weeks or longer.

Thanks,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2003, 02:34 PM

Debbie,
Sorry to hear that you are still uncomfortable. If I remember right I think that I was still kinda uncomfortable sitting for long periods at 8 weeks, it wasn't external pain but it felt like someone had hit my tailbone with a sledgehammer or something.
It seemed to improve rapidly right after the 8-9 week mark so hang in there, it will get better.
It might be a good idea to start out back to work part time until you see if you can handle 8 hours sitting down.
s
Carmel
Unread 04-09-2003, 04:55 PM

Carmel,

Thanks for responding and for sharing your information. I agree and think I will try to work part-time and come home early. It is going to be hard to sit all day.

Did you feel swelling or tight inside the vagina after your rectocle? Sometimes it feels like a tampon or something in there.

Thanks again,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2003, 05:05 PM

Definitely try the physical therapy and bio-feedback. I've been doing it and it has helped tremendously. I honestly believe EVERY woman who has a hyster would benefit from it!
Be sure to find a physical therapy center that is focused on women's issue - just your run of the mill PT center won't cut it!
Unread 04-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Hugs

Hi,
I really didn't feel good for 8-9 weeks after my rectocele repair and even then it wasn't 100 percent better. If you can, work part time. I'm at 6 weeks now from the bladder sling and working at home, but I go back on Monday and I dread it. I'm just so tired. give yourself a little more time, and then discuss your pain with the doctor. The rectocele surgery, in my opinion, was harder for me than the hyst.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 04-09-2003, 07:55 PM

Hi, I'm glad I found this thread. I had a TVH for prolapse, with rectocele and cystocele repair 5 weeks ago. I have gone back to work for half days. It is mostly sitting and I sure am glad I choose half days. I come home and recline all afternoon. People keep saying they didn't know I would be walking so well--little do they know that walking is much better than sitting.

Reading these post have helped me know that what I'm feeling is what we all feel (It does feel kind of like a badly inserted tampon). I feel almost like I did before the surgery!!!

No one mentioned sex, just sitting. The prolapse and other things made it uncomfortable before, but I at least wasn't afraid I was going to pull something apart. DR said Ok after 6 wks, but take it slow. Any comments?
Unread 04-09-2003, 08:13 PM

I had to let all of you know (if you didn't already) about a website that will certainly let you know why we feel the way we do---I found out about it through another hystersisters thread.
Go to www. pelvicfloor.com. You can see what we looked like before, during, and after the repair. It's gross. I made my DH look too.
Unread 04-09-2003, 08:15 PM

Hi Dreamin, Druid and Alfie,

Thanks for all your response. I really appreciate hearing from others. It does feel like a tampon inside. I worry that I am going to have the same feeling I had prior to the surgery. That feeling is so annoying and at times I can't stand it. I just hope within the next few weeks or months it starts feeling better.

I am going through the biofeedback and am looking for a PT who specializes in female (pelvic) issues.

Druid, I hope your recovery goes smooth. Keep us posted on your you come along.

I think I will definitely start off by working part time the first few weeks.

P.S. Does this tampon feeling eventually go away?

Thanks again. Debbie
Unread 04-09-2003, 08:59 PM

((((Debbie))))) I'm so sorry you're still sooo uncomfortable, this late into your recovery

I had a TVH with rectocele repair and the most discomfort I got, initially, was from the repair. I remember very well that swollen, tender and tight feeling that had for what seemed like eternity. Sitting was something I had to do very carefully for a very long time (it seems to me like 12 weeks was a turning point, where I started feeling like my old self).

When I returned to work, a mostly sitting job, I found that I would be looking for my pain meds by noon until I figured out that I had to take the pressure off my internal stitches. To do that I would walk as often as I could... just take a slow jog down the hall or go the long way to visit another co-worker. I would also elevate my feet. I found that having my recycle bin inverted worked really well as a step stool.

((((Debbie)))) I know that this recovery thing is getting old, but do take care and remember that you've only got this chance to heal. You'll get through this and if therapy helps, go for it.

Sending lots of s your way.
Unread 04-09-2003, 11:37 PM

Dany,

Thanks for the information. I will try the garbage can trick at work. I was wondering what I could use to elevate my feet. I'll let you know how it works. I just hope this internal feeling goes away along with the sitting pain.

I'll keep all posted on the therapy and let you know if it helps.

Thanks again, Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register