my appt with the GP.......:( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my appt with the GP.......:( my appt with the GP.......:(

Unread 04-10-2003, 09:43 AM
my appt with the GP.......:(

Hi girls, well I finally made it in to see my GP last night to tell him things had gotten much worse with my bladder symptoms......and he said that it is clear to him that all of these things (spasming/burning/leaking/lower back pain) are due to my bladder prolapsing and he increased my Ditropin in hopes that it will bring me some relief until I see the Uro in July........

he also did a urine culture just to rule out a bladder infection....I told him I really didn't think I could make it to July and he said to try the higher dose this week and if I was still in so much discomfort to come back in but really the lady he referred me to is the best and "if" I need a procedure to correct this, she would be the one to do it.......

I told him I felt that I was sorta worn out from dealing with one bloody health issue after another and that I wasn't coping well with this as I was fed up and all he said was "well I don't blame you".....I don't know what I was expecting but that wasn't it!

I'm not very happy with this outcome....he doesn't feel I need to see a gyn because he's confident it's my bladder.......so here I sit, still with the burning/leaking/spasming/retention/....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Hugs

Hi,
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this and have to wait so long for some help. It took me a year to resolve my bladder issues, and then have the bladder sling surgery, going between the gyn and then the uro. I was given all the bladder meds, none of them worked. Before I even got referred to the uro my gyn wanted me to do 3 months of Kegels, which I did and it only helped slightly. After that he referred me to the uro, who wanted me to try meds first - Detrol (didn't work), Ditropan, (didn't work and made my mouth dry and caused insomnia) and finally Imiprimine - an antidepressant which was also supossed to help bladder issues and is even given to bedwetting children - that one was the worst, it made me feel like I was on speed and didn't help the bladder at all. My docs wanted me to avoid another surgery, but I ended up there anyway. And, luckily I did have the surgery as my bladder and the adhesions were way worse than the docs even thought. I had the bladder sling, because of the failed previous Burch procedure when I had my hyst. The uro didn't want to try a TVT, which would have been less invasive, because he wanted to be able to do a bikini incision and see what was going on. That ended up being the best for me, even though the recovery has been rough. I had a foley for 23 days and went crazy with that, but now I'm at 6 weeks post op and feeling better and peeing fine on my own and HOORAY no leaking or stress incontinence. One thing, if you try the meds ahead of time, before seeing the uro, then the uro will know if they work or not and you will not have to try the meds once you finally see the uro. However, if you also have a rectocele, you would need to see a gyn for that. I'm hoping you are just dealing with the bladder at this point, and if you are, the uro will be able to help you. I feel bad you have to wait so long, but in one if, if this uro is really good, it may be worth the wait instead of settling for something less. I wish I could help you more. Just know that I understand. We are both long time road dwellers, and we both deserve to be off the road for sure.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 04-10-2003, 10:33 AM

ahhh thanks Druid!!!

The Ditropin does help and up to this last surgery when I was cathed for two days...I pretty much had this under control...but I guess that's before my bladder did the big nosedive......but the ditropin can't seem to keep up with these symptoms it only helps slightly so I don't know what that will tell the uro when I finally see her?

She is supposed to be one of the best.....but I suppose I'm thinking I would like someone to help me before then if possible...and what if I have a rectocele as well? start the wait all over?

thanks for sharing all that with me it does help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2003, 10:45 AM
too much waiting

Hi again,
Is it possible for the GP to let you see a gyn before the uro because of your concerns in addition to the bladder? I really don't want you to wait so long with the bladder and then start again for concerns over a posterior problem as well. You've certainly been through too much as it is. I hope the Ditropan helps you enough to get through this. There are also other spasm meds that may be able to help in addition if you find the increased dose isn't doing it. You are in my prayers.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 04-10-2003, 10:51 AM

I asked him last night if I should be seeing a gyn (as he had mentioned at last appt regarding the rectocele if I had one) and he said that it was clear to him that it was my bladder due to my symptoms and that the uro would be the way to go......I even asked him twice?

I've tried Detrol/Unident and wasn't able to tolerate it......he wasn't able to come up with anything else other then the Ditropin.....know of anything else?

thanks for all your help!
Unread 04-10-2003, 11:22 AM
spasms

Hi again and again,
Since I wasn't able to take the Ditropan, my uro gave me Ativan, which is actually a tranquilizer/nerve type pill, which he said would slow down the nervous system and make any spasms less severe. It did help a little, but then I was only 2 weeks post-op at the time and going crazy from being irritated from the foley which was knocking my bladder and causing spasms. It seems Ditropan is the drug of choice, but the Ativan did help me. Also I believe Bentyl, which I have taken for IBS spasms, can also help bladder spasms. Also, if the doc is totally sure your symptoms point to the bladder, then don't worry about the rectocele. And, if the uro is really good, she will be able to help the process along once she examines you if she thinks it's more than the bladder. The uro may have better connections with good gyns to help you in the future too. I just wish you didn't have to wait so long!
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 04-10-2003, 11:29 AM

good points all round Druid......this uro is suppose to be fabulous so it's likely she will know some good gyn's if it become necessary.....it's just making it to July I did talk to her assistant and got put on the cancellation list and let her know how badly I was feeling so fingers crossed!!!

I'll keep the Ativan in mind too, couldn't hurt with how frustrated I've been feeling with all this too!!!
Unread 04-10-2003, 04:31 PM

(((((Gidge))))) I'm so sorry you're in so much pain and felt let down by your GP I know just how frustrating those long waiting lists are At least, they didn't compromise and are insisting that you see the best doctor around. Sometimes, they take the easy way out and book you with the first doctor available, regardless of whether or not they can really help you (that happened to me).

I'm happy that you got on the cancellation list. Hopefully, you'll get in to see her in the next few weeks.

Sending tons of s your way.
Unread 04-10-2003, 10:03 PM

Hi Gidge,

I am so sorry your appt did not go well for you!! Thank goodness for those cancellation lists, I will cross my fingers for you.

Heck, get me a patients name and I will call and reschedule them for you so you can get in earlier

I just wanted to send you a huge and let you know I am thinking about ya!!
Unread 04-15-2003, 02:18 PM

small update here......went for my dental surgery on Friday (due to an allergy to local anesthetics I now have to go to the O.R. to have fillings and root canals done).....while it was alot to go through to have fillings and a root canal done....the bonus was for about two days after my bladder felt fabulous!!! :dance2:

now the question is, was it me being tilted almost upside down for two and a half hours out cold and then being asleep for about 24hrs after the thing that made the bladder feel better or was it the general anesthesia???

it's Tues now and it's almost back to it's regular raging self but it was a nice break and a possible clue to some relief!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register