pulmonary embolism info | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pulmonary embolism info pulmonary embolism info

Unread 04-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Update :(

I am 4 weeks post. I spent a week at the hosp with a diagnoses of a pulmonary embolism and a clot in my liver. I am now on Lovenox and also coumadin. My levels do not seem to be going up. Can anyone else that has BTDT please please reassure me that I will not be on these shots forever? We have went through our savings trying to pay for them and tomorrow I go back for another blood test and I have a feeling my pt number will still be not therapeutic (I was 1.55 on Monday and last check Wed I was 1.54).

Also I really want to shave my legs but all the literature I have says to use an electric razor which I do not have. Can a reg razor be used?????

Update:My number went even further down. I am now 1.09. So I have more shots called in. I just spent 30 min in my room crying. This is so frustrating. I am so afraid that this will never get better and off and on all day I have had chest pains on the side of my clot. I am not sure if it is related to the clot or cause of stress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2003, 09:23 PM
pulmonary embolism info

Sherry, I do not have any experience with this personally but my Dad has been on coumadin for years now and I am a nurse so I will try and help. Please use the electric razor. Any type of bleeding can be a problem no matter how small. I cannot say how long you will be on the shots but please try and be patient. You had a serious condition that warrants extreme care. Any questions should be directed to your doctor because every patient is different especially in this case. I am sending you many s and pray your situation will be resolved soon.........

Emily
Unread 04-10-2003, 09:39 PM
pulmonary embolism info

I do not have anything to offer to you except a HUGE gentle !!!

I spent almost 14 hours in the ER for a possible clot and they founf out (but did not tell me) there was no evidence in the CT scan of a clot. It was very scarry for me and OPENED my DH's eyes to my medical problems. I had shots of coumidin and was told not to shave as well.

The reason, and it is a really good one, is that if you cut yourself shaving that your blood will not clot and even the smallest cut while on blood thinners could make you lose a significant amount of blood. Have DH go but you a cheap electric one or see if someone you know has one you can borrow. I wish I could lend you mine because I know how uncomfortable not shaving for prolonged periods can be. ITCHY!!!

Please let us know your results when you get them! I am so sorry you are still on the shots and I will that this test comes back with a more positive result!!

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2003, 10:46 PM
pulmonary embolism info

Sherry, I've never tried this, but what about something for hair removal like Nair? It's much less expensive than buying an electric razor that you might not like anyway.

I hope you don't need the lovenox shots much longer.
Unread 04-10-2003, 10:52 PM
pulmonary embolism info

GREAT IDEA Catherine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not even think about Nair or depilatory cream.

Give it a try Sherry!!!
Unread 04-11-2003, 07:27 AM
Awesome idea

I will try the Neet. WAHOO

Well blood is drawn. But they won't know results at the DR office until Monday and my shots run out Sun morning so here I go again with calling the freaking nurse and having her NOT return my call until the day is over. I think I need to find a diff DR. I am so non confrontational though and hate to do this BUT I am getting tired of one minute being treated like this is serious and the next it may as well be a splinter in my finger. The hosp was so certain that I would be inpatient until my numbers were up and when I begged to go home they let me on the condition I did these shots until my numbers came up to the right levels. Now this DR said once I could stop the shots even though my levels are basically nothing. Then when I ?ed that he said to stay on them 3 more days. We spent $700 in drugs in a week. If I need to go get 2 more shots for Sun night and Mon. morning then there goes another $100. I do have some sources that if I need this long term I may be able to get help but they all take time to set up which for now I don't have that. This is just so frustrating. Then last night I felt the familiar bladder infection symptoms creeping in. Thankfully I do have a script here already for that.
Unread 04-11-2003, 05:41 PM
pulmonary embolism info

((((Sherry)))) I'm so sorry you're going through all of this I do not have any insight, since I haven't delt with this personally. However, I know lots of people who have been on coumadin and do know the importance of being careful.

I also think that it might be time to find another doctor. With such a serious condition, you can't afford a doctor who changes his mind so dramatically

Sending tons of s your way and hoping you can discontinue the shots very soon.
Unread 04-11-2003, 06:32 PM
pulmonary embolism info

Sherry=
I understand what you are going through. I had a DVT and Multiple PE (both lungs) Feb 2002. I then had a DVT Nov 2002. Both times I was in the hospital with heparin IV. They started Coumadin orally. I couldn't be discharged until my INR was therapeutic 2.0. I am also an RN.

I only used Lovenox for 5 days prior to my surgery in Aug.
I understand living with a hx of dvt and pe. Coumadin is a dangerous drug if not managed correctly. Use an electric razor, or Nair, watch what you eat, be careful not to injure yourself, always carry an ID card stating you are on Coumadin.

You need a doctor you can work with for this. I am not sure why your INR is not rising. I know that Lovenox doesn't require blood test monitoring, but it is expensive. So I'm hoping your INR will be therapuetic by Mon.

Good Luck
Ruth S
Unread 04-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Well my numbers came back

and they went down even more. I was 1.54 and now I am 1.09. So I need the Lovenox until Monday and then I get another blood draw Monday morning and they will let me know Monday afternoon what to do. They upped my coumadin to 7.5mg. If I am still uner 2 on Monday then I will be on the shots for another 3 days.
Unread 04-12-2003, 06:10 PM
PE update

Update reposted on a new topic from Friday:My number went even further down. I am now 1.09 down from 1.54 on Wed. So I have more shots called in. I just spent 30 min in my room crying. This is so frustrating. I am so afraid that this will never get better and off and on all day I have had chest pains on the side of my clot. I am not sure if it is related to the clot or cause of stress.

Oh and Nair burned my legs up. I am currently sitting in undies while my legs are on fire So looks like I need an electric razor

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register