Why bladder sling? Not incontinent - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why bladder sling? Not incontinent Why bladder sling? Not incontinent

Unread 04-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Why bladder sling? Not incontinent

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to!

Sobb, sobb, gasp of air, wipe tears away, OK - I'm all right now!

You may be the queen of cry babies, Pam, but I am the princess!

It's just that I have been through a difficult surgery and recovery from ruptured breast implants 2 years ago, and am not real thrilled about having more surgery. I had lymph nodes removed due to silicone migration, and had quite a mess in my chest. I then had difficulty with my right breast healing, it was pulling inward due to scar tissue, but has healed quite well over the last 2 years. I foolishly got implants back in the early 80's, when they were promoted as being totally safe. It has wrecked havoc with my health, and was the mistake of my life. If anyone is interested in my story, go to www.explantation.com, my story is the first of many, Rose's story. I created the web site, it also has a forum for support, very similar to hyster-sisters. I devote a lot of time assisting other women in finding good surgeons helping them through the emotional and physical trauma of getting implants out. The forum is an interesting place to go, if anyone is interested in learning about the consequences of breast implants. If anyone is reading this and considering implants, please go to this site.

Crohnie, it will probably be difficult if not impossible to get any records at this point, but I agree, it would be nice to know what procedures were done on you! Whatever the surgeon did, I am thankful it worked well for you and has held up all these years. I have a feeling my bodily functions will be totally different after surgery as well, and I suspect I have had these problems for several years. I just thought all my pee/poop problems were just normal for me!

Years ago, we didn't question or ask much from our doctors. We trusted their judgment. When I had a hysterectomy in 1985, I had no idea exactly what was done, what to expect or what the surgeon found inside. I obtained a copy of my operative report and was shocked to read all the problems I had. I try to educate myself now and question EVERYTHING my doctors are telling me. I refuse to let them describe procedures to me on a third grade level, I just hate that.

So glad you are all here to muddle through this together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Hope your feeling better hon!

Dear Rose (Diane?!)

So glad you found such great support here on Hystersisters... they're great aren't they?

I am glad you mentioned the horrors many of us endured with our breast implants, I posted about this last year here too. Hope it helps someone.

Hoping your recovery is going smoothly, sweetie.

make sure and and soon you'll be again :-)

much love,
Lana
Unread 05-04-2003, 10:58 AM

Lana,

We sure get around the women's support forums, huh?

Post-surgery up-date, I'm 2 weeks post right now, and have to say bladder sling/rectocele/cystocele repair was a rough road to go, but other than being very weak from surgery, I am not having much pain. I am starting to walk on a regular basis and slowly regaining my strength. Off all pain pills. I know some women here have said they had persistent pain for many weeks after repair, but I think everyone is different. I think having a good base of fitness helped me recover sooner.

I am still dribbling when I pee, rather than being able to force it out, but am just thankful everything is working. I am going to be flying in about 10 days which requires a long period of sitting, which I am a bit concerned about. Hope I'm not pushing it.

I think the rectocele repair has made a significant difference. I am having BM's regularly that have a straight shot, rather than everythng being so kinked up with alternating constipation and diarrhea, and the feeling that I could never completely empty my bowels. It is going to make a huge difference in my quality of life. I believe I have had the rectocele for years, just never realizing what the problem was.

For all women facing pelvic prolapse surgery, take heart. I believe for the majority of us, it will ultimately improve our lives. I can't wait till DH is able to try out the surgeons handiwork, as everything is much tighter and smaller. Sort of a side benefit to going through all this!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2003, 11:20 AM
No Pain... very cool!

So glad you are well on the road to recovery. As far as the plane ride, I am not sure if that is going to interfere with the great healing you are now enjoying. How long will you be sitting, do you have to change planes? Maybe others who have had this procedure could advise you on what may be "pushing it," always best to play it safe though.

I had read about your surgery when I lived at this site last year...lol. I knew it was pretty major, but an absolute necessity. Keep on doing what you are doing, ok?? Another story to share at your site too?!

much love, to the soon to be new you...

Lana
Unread 05-04-2003, 11:40 AM

I think I will be fine flying if I stand up & walk now & then, to get the blood flow going again. I would think I would be at higher risk of deep vein thrombosis due to my recent surgery. Yes, I do have to change planes, cheap plane tickets. I have considered lowering my pride and asking for a wheelchair at the gate :-) It would be less tramatic than thinking I'm all brave and then having my legs give out!
Unread 05-04-2003, 12:49 PM

If the flight is absolutely essential, then by all means ask for the wheelchair hon. One of the most important things I learned on this site is you only get one chance to heal properly and how imperative it is to take time out for *you.* Nothing is more important that your health (boy, didn't we learn that one the hard way?!)

much love,
Lana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register