who of you had chest xray? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

who of you had chest xray? who of you had chest xray?

Unread 04-11-2003, 06:08 AM
who of you had chest xray?

who of you had a chest xray when you were diagnosed with cervical cancer? I had read in several places that this is standard, yet I was not given one, If my cancer was invasive enough to require a hysterectomy then why wouldnt she have given me the other standard test? can some of you tell me what standard tests your dr did? I am worried because I have been having mid and lower back pain that I cannot relieve, it is wearing me out.
I dont think its cancer but when I read about the lung part of it I got concerned.my dr simply did the surgery said she got it all and sent me home.
tam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2003, 06:34 AM

Tam
I didn't have cervical cancer....I had endometrial cancer. When my gyn found it during a d and c she immediately sent me to the main hospital for an enhanced ct scan, chest xray and loads of blood work. I get a chest xray every 3 months before my appt. She said that the lungs are a probable secondary site and they routinely keep a close eye on the pelvic, abdomen and chest area for a number of years. I am not sure what the protocol is for cervial ca, but I am sure someone will be along to fill you in.
Unread 04-11-2003, 07:42 AM

Tam -

I too had cc. As soon as I was diagnosed, I had a CT scan over the chest and lower abdomen region. By those results, I was told that it looked localized. I did receive a chest x-ray as part of my pre-op visit in the hospital. I think it is standard, but probably not necessary at all. If they took a sampling of the lymph nodes during your surgery, they could tell if it was even about to spread. It sounds like your margins were clear.

As far as the back pain...I'm not sure how long ago you had your hyster but, I had horrible back pain as part of my recovery. I think it was because I could not feel my abs. When I attempted to walk, my back was doing all the work. I could barely walk down the hall before I started hurting. I'd call you doctor if you have any doubts. This was more of a sore muscle pain though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2003, 09:06 AM

Tam,

I did not have a chest x-ray or any type of scan after my diagnosis. I had early-stage microinvasive cervical cancer, and after my doc checked my lymph nodes during surgery we were confident that there was no spread.

I think a lot of it depends on cancer stage and the individual doctor's way of doing things. If it would make you feel better, ask your doc and he'll probably sign off on an x-ray or scan. Remember that the pain you are experiencing could be the result of 1000 different things, so try not to worry. But again, if it will give you peace of mind, ask your doctor about it. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Beth
Unread 04-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Chest Xray

I had one for the pre-op and about a year later they did a chest CT with pelvic and abdomen when I recurred with ovarian (a "spot' up in the chest). I suspect next chest scan will come with recurrence again. Ellen
Unread 04-11-2003, 01:24 PM

Hi

I had a cat scan of my abdomen and pelvic, which also included the lower part of the lungs, before my hysterectomy. they did not do a chest xray as part of the pre op because they used the cat scan results instead. so i never actually had a chest xray at all.

However, I can understand your concerns. Just today my lower back, just above my waist is hurting and felt the same way you do. My first though....Cancer somewhere again.... But took 2 advil and the pain went away...Guess I really did just pull a muscle.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Rosalie

Just another question to all....How come I cannot get the smilies anymore???? I do not have the "disable smilies" box checked..???
Unread 04-11-2003, 02:03 PM

I had a chest xray and a cat scan before my radical hyster. for cervical cancer, 1b. I am also having lower back pain for the last week or so, and "cancer head" is trying for a comeback! I go back to the dr. for my 3 month follow-up on the 21st, but I am thinking it is from helping my friend move into her new house, my ab muscles are not what they used to be!
Rhonda
Unread 04-11-2003, 03:23 PM

s Tamleeo

My cancer was ovarian, but yes, I did have a chest x ray pre op, again after my port was inserted and one six months after completing chemo. If you are wanting one, just request it of your doctor. Those of you that get frequent CATS of your abdomen and pelvis, are usually getting your chest scanned quickly as well.
It is just not turned into insurance.

karenann
Unread 04-11-2003, 03:26 PM

That is very true...Karenann
Unread 04-12-2003, 07:39 PM
thanks

thanks all for answers, I guess I could ask for an xray, I find it a bit odd that i have had three different surgeries, two on my feet and a dnc and then a leep and then a hyst and never did any of those drs give me achest xray., not that Im ultra paranoid,but I dont like feeling like Im being pushed through the system to get me over with. I practically had to beg my g.p. to test my hormones! thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register