1/1/2 yrs. post surgery mystery bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1/1/2 yrs. post surgery mystery bleeding 1/1/2 yrs. post surgery mystery bleeding

Unread 04-12-2003, 02:21 AM
1/1/2 yrs. post surgery mystery bleeding

Dear Sisters,

I am new to the site and need your help and wisdom - thank you for being here. I am 44 years old and have battled endo & ovarian cysts since age 21. Have had multiple surgeries over the years (including one with Dr. Redwine in Oregon) - losing various female parts along the way! Most recently had the last ovary & cyst removed about 1 1/2 years ago. Only the uterus remains now - ie: tubes & ovaries are gone. I've been finally pain free on lowest dose HRT and doing well until recently. Last several months there's cramping, mystery bleeding (moderate) and slight nausea going on for weeks at a time. Gyn is at a loss. Sonogram shows nothing but a small fibroid in the uterus. Hormone ranges show normal. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you for any insight you can give me.

Hugs to you all - Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2003, 09:08 AM

((Cheryl))

You didn't mention whether your mystery bleeding is actually mid-month or continued bleeding from your periods. From what I have read Fibroids can prolong menstrual bleeding etc. but I don't think they cause off cycle bleeding.

I found this site on fibroids for your information, I liked it because it stayed basic enough for us non-medical minds to understand:

http://www.fibroids.net/html/frameset.htm

I had a fibroid that grew rapidly and did cause my menstrual bleeding to change drastically, that was the symptom that originally sent me to the DR with increased crampiness. I did not experience nausea that I remember with it but I was dealing with other GI issues and had a appendectomy within a few months after the dx of fibroids.

Did your DR give you any indication of the next step or did he believe your symptoms were related to the fibroid at all?

I am sorry you are dealing with this, please keep us posted ok?

s,
lenee
Unread 04-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks Lenee

Dear Lenee,
Thanks so much for your reply. I have not really had a period at all since the surgery 18 mos. ago, so hard to tell if this is just a period trying to happen or abnormal bleeding. Dr. is in a "wait and see" mode. I hope you are healing nicely from your surgery. What was your first indication that the fibroid was growing to such a large size? I'm afraid that may also be the case here, and I am kicking myself for being stubborn and not letting the dr. go ahead & take the uterus as well.

I will check the link you recommended and try to educate myself. Thanks again

Sincerely,
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2003, 03:54 PM

((((((Cheryl)))))) I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time Sounds like you've been through a whole lot thanks to your female organs, and it's not over

I had my hyst due to problems caused by a very large fibroid. By the time I had my hyst, over 2 years ago, my uterus was the size of 20 month pregnancy

My main complaint was bleeding. I would bleed extensively, for long periods of time. I practically didn't have periods: the bleeding could start any time and could last anywhere from a few days to several weeks. When I had my surgery, I'd been bleeding extensively and steadily for 8 weeks.

My experience was that the fibroid did cause out of period bleeding, as well as increasing the intensity of the bleeding and the length of the bleeding time.

The web-site that ((((Lenee)))) pointed you to has lots of valuable information and might shed a bit of on what's going on with you. If you find anything interesting, be sure to print it and bring it to your doctor: usually, they do value the fact that we are pro-active where our health is concerned.

Hoping that this helps and wishing you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.
Unread 04-12-2003, 04:37 PM

Cheryl,

While you may very well have a fibroid that's causing your bleeding, you should ask your doctor to rule out the possibility of endometrial cancer with either an endobiopsy or D&C. Any unexplained uterine bleeding should be checked out by tissue sampling of the uterus. If you haven't read, Cancer Schmancer by Fran Drescher (formerly of "The Nanny"), you should pick it up at your local library or bookstore. Fran was only 40 and went from doctor to doctor with vaginal bleeding or spotting, and not until she got to doctor number 8 did she finally get the D&C that diagnosed endometrial cancer.

I'm not telling you this to worry you, but just to be proactive and make certain you do in fact have a fibroid. In 1999, I had a sonogram which said "probably fibroid." Luckily, my gynecologist did an endobiopsy, because the so-called fibroid was not a fibroid at all, but the major site of my endometrial cancer.

Better to be safe than sorry! Best of luck to you.

MoeKay
Unread 04-12-2003, 04:45 PM

My GYN found my fibroid in Jan. of 2001 just a small fibroid he said come back in 6 mos so we can see how slow its growing. He even commented that it wasn't anything to worry about it could slow grow enough that perimenopause and menopause could help it to shrink if I made it that long (I was 37 at the time). I knew over the 6 mos timeframe that it was definitely changing because my periods were getting a lot heavier - I was approx going through a super tampon an hour the first day and they also lasted longer. Gushing was an issue too which made it hard to be far from a bathroom. I went back in August of that year to find that it had grown to the size of a 20 week uterus and if I wanted to elect Laproscopic surgery instead of the laprotomy(full incision) I would need to make a decision in 2 weeks. I could have dealt with it longer but didn't want to have the full blown incision- I had had 3 c-sections and definitely knew what I felt was a drastic difference. So I decided for the LAVH and had surgery Sept of 2001.

My female organs haven't been the nicest to me either, I am so sorry you are having more complications I know how frustrating it is to have them say something else is going on.

I hope the DR will be able to give you some more information soon and help you determine what is up.

Please keep us posted.

s,
lenee
Unread 04-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Thank you so much

Dear Ladies,

Thank you so much for sharing your stories. It is heartbreaking what you've been through. MoeKay, I will take your advice and ask my Gyn to schedule a tissue biopsy on my next visit if this bleeding has not stopped. You are so right - it's better to be safe than sorry. I wonder if it would be better just to go ahead & have the uterus removed before any other complications set in, especially since we know that "something" is growing already. I was so concerned about incontinence and other possible complications developing that I asked her to leave it if possible, & she did as I asked. Now I am regretting that decision.

I sincerely appreciate your hugs and caring. Thanks for being here.

Cheryl
Unread 04-13-2003, 01:32 PM

I think (( MoeKay)) has made a great suggestion, I too believe it is great to be proactive. Since I so much believe medicine is a science to a certain extinct I also lean toward the side of caution. Not worry but the need for confirmation leads me to request test etc because so much can be missed etc.

I totally understand your second guessing of yourself, but except for hindsight no one knows what will develop or not. You have had several uneventful years without pain etc. IMHO- that would be enough in my book to think I made the right decision for the time that I was at. From your post I don't think you had any indication that this would be a possibility down the road, how could you?

Your next step again will take time and consideration with your DR on good information and wanted outcome.

Please keep us posted.

s,
lenee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register