Working or disabled??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Working or disabled??? Working or disabled???

Unread 04-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Working or disabled???

Just curious...
I have had so many problems and not sleeping well that I have been lucky just be working 2 days a week.

I am wondering.....how do you ladies manage? Do any of you collect disability? It's been 2 yrs and I don't think I can go back to work full time. One of my drs suggested it to me and I could use the $ to pay the bills but I feel like maybe someday I will be able to go back to a "real job".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Working or disabled???

I know how you feel about not being able to work. I am in the same boat here.

I DID voluntarily quit my job to go to school full time and I can not even do that right now. :cry: .

I will be interested to hear what info you get on this post..

Unread 04-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Working or disabled???

((((((LaurLaur))))))

Believe me, I know how you feel 's
You can get disability and if you feel, at a later date that you will be able to work full time again that is definitely an option.
It works like this : if you are working but are only working part-time, there is a good chance that you can work & file for disability at the same time. You have to be unable to be what they call "substantial gainfully employed". In a nutshell - you cant make more than $800 gross income per month. And you can also work while on disability - you just cant go over that $800 mark.
Disability is there for those of us who need it. If you feel you need it then I say "go for it". There is also a web site that the Social Security administration has on the web - www.socialsecurity.gov
Good luck & take care !

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Working or disabled???

Laur,

I know just where you are coming from in this areana!! I went on "short term" disability in Sept. 2002 due to FMS/MPS, ended up having the hyst in Oct. 2002 and was not officially released to go back to work until Jan. 2003. However, I knew there was NO WAY I could handle a normal 8 hour day so, I resigned.

We really could use the $ too, but I know there is still no way I could work full time. Don't even know about part-time because some days I wake up fine...other days feeling like I've been ran over by a train. (Today is a train day. ) I've heard that disability is next too impossible to get. With everything else that is going on in my personal life right now, I don't even think I could handle the process of applying.

I am interested to see what kind of responses you get here. Good luck!
Unread 04-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Working or disabled???

VB...I hear ya on that. I don't think I have the strenght to tackle one more person or paperwork to apply for disability either.
The dr bills alone are enough to handle!
Unread 04-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Working or disabled???

LaurLaur,
I do know how you feel. Sigh. Unfortunately I have had to work during this entire mess. I did finally take ONE day off on Friday, things were just so bad for me that I just couldn't pull myself together. One would've thought that the earth stopped revolving because I missed ONE day of work. Keep in mind that this was the FIRST time I have called in sick in 4 years! Anyways, working or rather not working has been on my mind more and more these past few week as things steadily get worse for me. Unfortunately, unless I win the lotto, quitting isn't a possiblity for me.

I have heard of some sisters applying for disability, some successfully. If that is the route you choose to go perhaps you could do a search of this forum and use *disability* as your keyword and see if any useful info turns up. Check out our Resources forum also https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...s=&forumid=165

Unread 04-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Working or disabled???

My particular company has a short term disability which is automatic benefit for employees and then they have Long-term disability which is an elected benefit like $6 a pay period for me. I always take the Long term election because I know that if something happens to me we would be in financial trouble. I understand some insurance companies are very tough and hard to get benefits from. I also understand that the Social Security disability takes hoops to jump through to get depending of course on your diagnosis.

I have managed to go back full time again but am experiencing a lot of pain at work, so I keep the NSAIDs coming for now. Only time will tell if I will need stronger Pain mgt and then I am concerned about my ability to work and do my job well I will have to cross the road if I get to it.

I do believe that if you are unable to work it is definitely worth checking into. I understand the process isn't fun but some ladies need that financial assistance to survive. I believe there are some free services that will help you with the process etc.

s,
lenee
Unread 04-14-2003, 10:46 PM
Working or disabled???

vbjacks5 :

Disability isnt really "impossible" to get - its just that the process usually takes a loonngggggg time. And you need an attorney, that is very important. The way it works is the attorney only collects payment only if you win and then its usually around 25% of your back pay.
And there is SO much paperwork involved, its unreal. Like Lenee said, if you really need it then it is definitely worth checking into.

Susan
Unread 04-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Working or disabled???

The mounds of paperwork is disgusting!!!! I know I've tried it and I was turned down.

The interview with a worker from SS is over an hour long on the phone. Then you have to wait for them to get ALL your docs records from every doc you have ever seen, every pic you have ever taken and every test you have ever done. Then you wait. and wait. Then you get told you haven't had this problem and been out of work for a year yet....denied. Try again in 6 months.

It's a long battle for just a little bit...They had taken the fact the the hyst has 6 weeks recovery and problems arising from that are not considered disableing. I'm going to be trying again to fill out all this paper work and see where it gets me. I had a friend tell me who works at SS that 85% of all people who apply for disabilty get turned down the first time regardless. of those 85% about half get what they asked for the second time around. She said that they figure if your back after being turned the first time and willing to go thru all that paperwork yet again then you must have a valid reason for asking for it and then they actually read the records and make a determination.

Hope this helps shed some

Dawn
Unread 04-15-2003, 05:25 AM
Working or disabled???

UGH...... I know you can file for disability on line. I don't know if I even qualify. I worked 2 "non profit" jobs last - but when my statement came in the mail my SS showed if I became disabled by this time, I would collect X amount of dollars...so I don't know.

I figured you'd probably have to collect everything from everyone - another thought process that boggles my mind. Then prob have to see their drs...which what the heck - prob have seen them already! lol Maybe one could fix me!

I don't know - if I were to get disability, I'd always be looking over my shoulder thinking I was watched if I ever went to do anything! It really stinks........I have my husbands pay and benefits but that won't last forever.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register