I've been quiet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I've been quiet I've been quiet

Unread 04-14-2003, 02:21 AM
I've been quiet

Hi everyone

I guess I've been a bit quiet lately, and I know some are used to me posting often so I figured I should explain why.

I had my post-op check at 5 weeks (a week ago), and all went well - I've healed well. However, the big shocker was that my path report showed I had cancer cells in my uterine muscle - this I did not expect. The gynoncologist has determined that I don't need any further treatment as it was contained in the uterus. I must admit it's made me very emotional - relief, shock - all sorts of emotions. Its odd being given the diagnosis and the cure on the same day. I know I've been very lucky, and my heart goes out to those who are suffering treatment for cancer - I've barely touched on it and I can now appreciate a little more how it must feel. He said that I might have eventually had symptoms but I would more than likely have passed them off as being related to my endometriosis - it really doesn't bear thinking about what might have happened if I hadn't had the hyst now. He also said I'd had extensive adenomyosis, endometriosis (which I knew about), quite a lot of bruising which he thinks might have been from my previous ablation.

The good news is he did say that from his point of view it was good because he could see quite clearly why I'd been in pain - I guess for a surgeon that must be quite satisfying!! Certainly I have no pain now. He also said he could see my remaining ovary appeared to be working as I was 'pink and moist' (ewww).

Since all this I have now realised I have developed a rectocele also. With the support of my GP I'm learning to deal with this - fibre and lactulose and having to splint in order to 'go'. My GP thinks maybe it was caused by all the constipation I've had - particularly early post op - so girls out there - please don't strain - avoid it at all costs please!! My gyn wants me to wait at least 6 months and see if it settles on its own, but everything I've read tells me it won't go away. So long as it doesn't get any worse I can live with it. The thought of more surgery - ugh - don't even want to contemplate it. My GP wants to test my hormone levels as she says if my oestrogen is a bit low this won't help my rectocele.

So girls, yes I've been quiet, coming to terms with all this. At first I was so down - I just wanted this hyst to be the end of all my troubles, as we all do. However, I'm picking myself up, and had some fantastic support from friends - and more recently surferbabe who has given me lots of info that is helping me enormously.

On to the next hurdle - I'm now cleared for sex........I'll let you know - after 12 months without it will be ... interesting...

Thanks all for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2003, 03:35 AM
Good Luck to you

Hi Chris,
You poor thing, so sorry to hear your news. However, there is only one way now .... UP. Get yourself over this operation, then you have a lot of living to do. It is a good job you had the operation and that they took it away, so now, think positive. (I thought I was bad enough, no sex for 6 months) I know how you must be feeling. Good Luck to you and all the very best.
Unread 04-14-2003, 06:48 AM
quiet as a mole :p

Hi Chris

Glad to see you are posting again! You sound a bit more positive - a bit....

Just think, it is almost compulsory now for you to have sex as we will all be waiting with baited breath to see the outcome - so go, girl, go!

The only way is up now.

Wendy x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2003, 07:32 AM
Hey Chris

So sorry to here about your problems. Thankfully you had the the surgery before it went anywhere else. Don't get down. Your doc knows what he's talking about, it could go away on it's own. Take a stool softner to be on help. Take care and be strong. 12 months!!! Oh MY! Can't even imagine, I'm 4wks post-op and I'm going nuts already. Good luck and God speed.
Unread 04-14-2003, 10:06 AM
I've been quiet

Good to hear from you. I guess it was a shocker to hear about the path report, but great news you got it out and it didn't have time to do damage.
I had a rectocele for years, caused from giving birth. I managed it by eating losts of fibre, exercise and lots of fluids. I just had it repaired with this hysterectomy. I was the one who asked the Dr. about it. I told him I had trouble with it for years and could I get this done as well. He checked me to see how bad it was and said it was bad enough to fix. When you are tired of dealing with it you will have it fixed. I guess I was waiting for the right time to come. I won't lie to you, the hysterectomy has been a piece of cake, but the rectocele is pretty uncomfortable. Give yourself some time, maybe you will be able to do fine with fibre, etc. Good luck to you as you continue to recover.

s s
Unread 04-15-2003, 02:42 AM
I've been quiet

Thanks for your support everyone s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register