Can I be a bigger mess??? Went to the ER last night! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I be a bigger mess??? Went to the ER last night! Can I be a bigger mess??? Went to the ER last night!

Unread 04-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Can I be a bigger mess??? Went to the ER last night!

Well, I'm sure by now you all are aware of my bladder and pelvic pain problems. Here's a new one to add to my list! Well, not totally new, but it got really, really bad yesterday. I was having really bad heartburn for the last couple days and then yesterday I started having severe chest pain. I kept thinking it was esophageal spasms, but they were getting worse and worse and I was feeling the pain in my back and my neck and my jaw. That freaked me out! I couldn't tell if I was having a heart attack or if it really was my esophagus. I haven't eaten in over 24 hours because the pain is so bad that I'm afraid to eat! Anyway, I finally had my husband take me to the ER. They were very thourough. They kept me on a heart monitor for several hours, did an EKG and some blood tests to rule out heart problems and gallbladder problems. They also put me on an IV to get meds in me and fluids because I haven't been able to eat. We were all pretty sure it was my esophagus, but they had to do these tests to make sure, which I was so glad about, especially since I have a very tender spot in my abdomen right below my ribs. I was afraid (and the doctor was) that my gallbladder(and another organ???? Sorry, they had me a little drugged up and I can't rememeber ) was the problem. They also did a blood count......all tests came back lookinging great So it is confirmed that it is my esophagus, not my heart. That's good....very good.....but now I have these really bad esophageal problems

This actually has a link to my pelvic problems. Two and a half years ago when I started taking Motrin for my pelvic pain, I started having these problems(turns out the motrin was burning my esophagus), but minor compared to last night! The doctor gave me some medicine and it cleared up. After my hysterectmoy, I took lot's of ibuprofen after I stopped the percocet and I started having problems. Well, this weekend it got soooooo bad! The pain was so bad, they put me on a narcotic that's stronger than morphine(I can't remember that name either!). The ER doctor talked to a gastro doc on the phone last night and this doctor wants to see me. So I now have to go to a gastro for some fun sounding tests. Then they're are going to put me on some meds that have some yucky side effects. The ER doctor said they don't like to put people on these meds until after they have a definate diagnosis because the side effects can be bad! I should have told her that I'm one of those people that experience all the side effects of drugs.....even some of the "rare" ones!

So ladies, because of my pelvic pain/hysterectomy, I am having these esophageal problems! At least I had a great doctor at the ER that took good care of me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2003, 08:57 AM

Pasdechat:

Glad they ruled out heart problems. I sure hope they can find a med that won't give you bad side effects.

Before my hyst I did something REALLY stupid. I took naproxen sodium without water - I was hurting and there was no water in site. It stuck in my esophagus and boy did I burn and ache for awhile (couple of weeks). Will never do that again - take it without water. Wound up drinking maalox (straight from the bottle, mind you) before I could eat. Gradually, it reversed.

I hope you are pain free soon!
Unread 04-14-2003, 10:32 AM

(((Pasdechat))), I'm so sorry you've had to add one more problem to the list! I am glad it wasn't your heart, though. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that these meds will be tolerable and will help you to feel better.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2003, 03:00 PM

As I was reading your post, the words esophagus and chest pains reminded me of my DH's troubles of a few years ago: Following a nasty bout of walking pneumonia, he began having chest pains. He took himself to the ER and spent 24 hours attached to a heart monitor. Turns out, like you, he had an inflamed esophgus, which caused chronic heart burn, and was probably caused by the medications he took for the pneumonia.

The problem meant having to make dietary changes, but that is preferable to medicating for the rest of his life.
Unread 04-14-2003, 04:58 PM

{{{pasdechat}}}
I'm so sorry that you were feeling so poorly. I am glad that you went to the ER and they were able to help you.
Unread 04-14-2003, 06:26 PM

{{{{{{{{{pasdechat}}}}}}}] been there done that! I had the exact same situation happen to me many years ago and ended up with a diagnosis of esophagitis. The other organ was probably your pancreas and the med they may put you on is Reglan(has many side effects and not all people can handle it). I was on it for a few weeks and did fine. The tests you may be getting are an upper G I and /or an endoscopy to make a final diagnosis. If you have any questions hun, feel free to email me. I have lots of experience with this unfortunately. Good luck to you.

Emily s
Unread 04-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Me too...

Hello Pasdechat....

Wow, I'm so sorry you've adding something else to the list... You didn't need anything else.

Before my hysterectomy, I took excessive amounts of Ibuprofen for severe cramps...(my doc at that time did not listen) and ended up with scarring of the esophagus - I had a few bouts of severe pain just like you described, but never went to the ER for it (I should have). I saw a GI doc and he did an endoscope and put me on Prevacid for a full year. I'm happy to say I don't have that problem any longer.

I sure do hope you find some relief soon....You've been through the mill.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers each night and send positive, strong, healing thoughts your way.

Lori
Unread 04-14-2003, 07:46 PM

Gemsab and Lori, what is the endoscopy like? And the upper GI? Is it awful? Or not too bad? Tell me! I need to know! I am nervous about tests they might do. The ER doctor actually talked to the gastro doctor(on the phone) that I will be seeing and he said he will be doing some tests!

Thank you to everyone for your hugs and knid words. I just can't believe everything that's wrong with me! I never used to be that way! When I decided to go to the ER last night, I qucikly wrote down all my meds so I wouldn't forget to tell them what meds I'm on. I had 7 different prescription medications on that list and only one of them is an "as needed" medication. UGH! It has to get better from here, right?
Unread 04-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Hugs

Hi,
I just want to offer you some more hugs. I've been reading your posts, and you sure are going through a lot. Yes, it does have to get better soon. I'm glad the ER helped you. It sounds like with all the meds you are taking, no wonder you are having some prolbems. It seems sometimes the more meds we take, the more side effects or problems we have to tackle. Don't give up. The GI doctor should be able to help you. I know how awful it is to have uro problems and GI problems as well. It gets very discouraging. I'm glad you wrote things down like you said in your other post. I will keep you in my prayers and send healing thoughts your way. Here's to a healthier you!
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 04-14-2003, 09:19 PM

Sweetie, for the upper GI, they make you drink barium but it is flavored and not really that bad and then they take x-rays of your digestive tract. It has been awhile since I had one so things may be different now. As for the endo, it is done as an out patient, they give you some meds IV to put you out and they pass a tube down your throat with a light at the end of it so they can view your esophagus and the upper part of your stomach. I didn't feel a thing. You will need somone to go with you and drive you home. Both procedures only take about 15 minutes or so. Believe me they are not that bad. Hang in there hun!

Emily s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register