ok now I am getting it!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ok now I am getting it!! ok now I am getting it!!

Unread 04-14-2003, 07:12 PM
ok now I am getting it!!

The cancerhead that is!!

I had my hyst on January 23rd. My doc says I have to have paps every 3 months for two years and then every 6 months for the rest of my life.

I still have a little over a month before my first "post-hyst" pap. They sceduled it about three months from my post op visit, not three months from my hyst.

Anyway, Hubby and I have resumed our marital relations, and the second time we had post surgery sex, I had bleeding after. Then, that stopped. Now, I am bleeding again after sex. I also get really sharp pains in my vagina .... but not during sex or even immediately after. It is usually just out of the blue that the pains happen. They are enough to just about bring me to my knees.

I am starting to freak. After the first time of bleeding, I went to my doc, he checked for granulation tissue but found none. Said that it may have been because it was six weeks post op and still kind of new. Then everything was fine for a while until about a week ago. I did some searches and I see that it is very rare for this to show in the vagina, so I am trying to calm myself with that.
Has anyone had a bad pap post hyst? Should I have my doc do the pap early or just wait it out? I am petrified of sex once again. Sex does not hurt.....it feels great..... but the bleeding afterwards causes an emotional tornado!! Bleeding after sex is what sent me to the doc before the hyst and I then found out that my entire cervix was covered with CIS!!

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2003, 09:39 PM
ok now I am getting it!!

Hi Amy!

I don't have any personal experience with this but thought I'd pop in anyway.

If there has been a change in how you're feeling after sex, I'd definately see if you can get in to see the Dr earlier, especially since you've also bled afterwards and have had pain.

If may not be anything to worry over, but its much better to be safe and get things checked. If nothing else it may put your mind at ease.

I hope all turns out to be just part of the healing process and nothing to worry about. Keep us posted.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 04-14-2003, 09:49 PM
ok now I am getting it!!

(((Amy)))

These are normal concerns that you are having. The first couple of PAP's are the worst (for anxiety) and then it gradually gets better.

You are right, vaginal involvement is rare. I had an abnormal PAP approximately 1 year after my TAH. The follow-up colposcopy/biopsy came back normal and my PAP's have been normal since. Who knows what happened?

Did you keep your ovaries? Perhaps there is some hormonal explanation for the bleeding (even if you kept your ovaries, sometimes they are "sleepy" for a while). I do have occasional light bleeding after sex, and it freaks me out every time. That was my symptom when I was found to have vaginal carcinoma-in-situ, so I'm always a little paranoid since I have that history already. I always mention it to my doc, and he always takes a look and finds nothing. Then he tells me to keep using a lubricant to help out a little.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the sharp pains. I had them while I was still in the healing process--they would wake me at night sometimes. I haven't had any since about 3 months postop. You might like to call your doc and mention it to him.

Amy, anytime you have concerns, call your doctor and discuss them. It is not likely that your doc will do the PAP early (it is recommended that 3-4 months pass before the first PAP so that healing is complete and the swelling has subsided), but he may take a look and see if anything is going on.

Hang in there, Amy!

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2003, 07:57 PM
ok now I am getting it!!

Dear Lepfan,

I just asked my dad (a doctor), and he said that post-hysterectomy sex should involve a lubricant for both the woman and the man. I had thought that maybe your bleeding might have resulted from a thinning of the vaginal walls, but my dad said it's more likely that extra lubrication would help.

That said, you should definitely check with your doctor -- especially if you are having sharp pains.

s!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register