vaginal cancer conerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal cancer conerns vaginal cancer conerns

Unread 04-15-2003, 10:05 AM
vaginal cancer conerns

Mine is a long story but I will try and shorten it up. Diagnosed with endemetrial cancer May98 had total hysterectomy including ovaries Sept 98. First year was fine but after second year started to spot but pap smear was fine, the third year vagina was bleeding inside and was sent to oncologist for a biopsy. That came out clear. Now just went and dr said she has never seen a vagina like this ever. Sores everywhere and totally shrunken with green infection. She tested me for bacterial and yeast etc but found nothing. Now she wants me to have another biopsy. I am terrified it's vaginal cancer. Has anyone had anything similar at all, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2003, 02:59 PM
vaginal cancer conerns

Vaginal cancer is a very scary thought indeed. It is also very rare. I had noninvasive vaginal cancer--mine was taken care of by surgical removal of the involved area. It can also be treated by localized chemo (a gel or cream inserted into the vagina) or by radiation. It sounds as if they aren't certain exactly what's going on with you, though, and I would encourage you to follow your doctor's recommendation to have another biopsy done. Will the biopsy be done by a gynecologic oncologist? It is totally possible that it is NOT cancer, so try not to get too caught up in that yet. How is your hormone situation? Are you on HRT since you don't have your ovaries, or did the endo cancer mean you couldn't have HRT?

I wish I had a good answer for you, but in the meantime, I will keep you in my thoughts and 'ers that they find the problem and an easy fix for it.

Unread 04-15-2003, 07:54 PM
reply to Jeanine for her post

Jeanine: thankyou for telling me about your experience. Right now my nerves are shot every time I think it might be behind me it isn't. Every time I see a spot of blood every time I go for an exam I just go to pieces. I was totally taken by surprise this time as I thought it would be a yeast infection or bacterial infection but what upset me the most was the doctors face and how serious she looked. She wouldn't say much but I kept pushing her to say something. I kept saying how could this be because last year I had a biopsy done and it was clear. She says they can miss it sometimes. She is an gynecologist and this is the first time I have seen her. I could go back to the hospital to see my oncologist I am not sure what to do. Last time the exam was too painful so they had to put me under anesthetic and this is what I will have to do again. What an ordeal. I have never had hrt of any kind and kept thinking I had atrophic vaginitis so was taking progesterone cream. Thank you for telling me the different ways they can treat it. I like the cream idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2003, 08:34 PM
vaginal cancer conerns

's

I would suggest that you see a gynecologic oncologist. Perhaps your oncologist is a gynecologic oncologist? They are the experts when it comes to female cancers, so it would be a worthwhile visit for you. They have all the most current information on treatments and procedures.

I'm sorry to hear your last exam was so painful. And it's true--sometimes there can be a problem and it can be missed during the biopsy if just exactly the right spot isn't biopsied.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out!
Unread 04-15-2003, 08:47 PM
vaginal cancer conerns

Hi happy2b I don't have experience with vaginal cancer, but I agree with (((Jeanine))) that it's quite possible that it's not cancer at all but rather a hormonal issue. You may have been onto something when you mentioned atrophic vaginitis (vaginal atrophy).

The tissues of the vagina are very sensitive and require certain levels of hormones, especially estrogen, to stay healthy. Where there has been a cancer diagnosis this is scary because of the worry that estrogen might contribute to the growth of cancer cells. I understand that you weren't on any HRT for that reason; however, there are forms of estrogen that can be applied locally in the vagina to correct vaginal atrophy and dryness, even severe cases, and many DRs will OK them when they won't consider allowing the patient to use a systemic estrogen.

Here's a link to a discussion about vaginal dryness and atrophy and the different solutions to those conditions:

vaginal dryness?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will turn out that there are no cancer cells in there anywhere, and I hope you'll talk about the vaginal estrogens with your DR.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-15-2003, 09:32 PM
reply to surferbabe

thanks surferbabe I went to the web site and it had lots of great ideas on vaginal dryness I can try down the road. I thought I would be the martyr no hrt I could handle it. I guess it's almost five years with no estrogen and the vagina has paid the price. Any way now I have to face it one way or another. Thanks very much to you surferbabe and Jeanine for your help and concern. I feel better! I will keep you posted on what happens!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register