Advice on Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice on Surgery Advice on Surgery

Unread 04-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Advice on Surgery

I have been browsing this site since my hysterectomy in July 02, howerver this is my first time posting. I had a LAVH in 7/02 and have been having cysts on my ovaries ever since. It seems that I will be pain free for a few months and then be in pain for a month. This cycle has been happening since my LAVH. My Doc put me on Depo which seemed to help since last week. I ended up in the ER with extreme pain. They sent me to my OB and he gave me three choices. The first is to continue depo, go on lupron which I was on before the hysterectomy, or get my ovaries surgically removed. I really want to get them out, but am worried because I am 28 years old and married. I worried about being on hormones and that my sex drive will diminish. This is such a hard choice and I was hoping to get a little advice from someone that has been through this situation before. I know that its only an opinion and thats fine but I would just like some imput. It seems like the shots would be the best route, but Im in so much pain right now that desperation has entered my life. The depo seems to not be working and the Lupron scares me because I am still facing the side effects almost a year after that treatment. I really want to make a logical decision that will be better for the long run. My OB wants me to call him in a couple of days to tell him what I chose. Thank you Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2003, 03:08 PM
Advice on Surgery

Carol :

No answers here... just sending a and ers. Try to take some quiet time for yourself and hopefully the answer will come to you. Don't feel rushed because your doc wants to have an answer. Take your time, do your research and you will make the right decision.

I am sure there are sisters here who can offer some words of advice or lead you to some good information.
Unread 04-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Advice on Surgery

CarolAnn,
I'm sorry you are having to make such a difficult decision. At the time of my hyst I only had 1/2 of an ovary left and really didn't have a choice on whether it stayed or went. Doc said everything was coming out.

As I've not experienced your situation I really can't offer you advice on what you should do. I would like to suggest that you read the pull down menus at www.hormonejungle.com There's some good information there about hormones.

You can post any questions you might have regarding what you read in The Hormone Jungle message forum https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...p?s=&forumid=5

Good luck CarolAnn Do let us know what you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2003, 10:19 AM
Advice on Surgery

I also had NO choice in having my ovaries removed. I can honestly say that I would have told him to TAKE them if I had been given a choice.

To me leaving them in with all of the cysts I had was so painful I could not be intimate. I did not find that having them out affected me and DH's sex life except make it better since I had no pain from my ovaries.

NOW is a different story since I am scheduled for another lap for recurring endo and/or adhesions and the same old pain is back WITHOUT ovaries.

Everyones body is different and I have heard of some women having no sex drive afterwards, but I have also heard alot that have benefited from it..

I hope you can find peace in your decision, whatever it is.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register