conization tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

conization tomorrow conization tomorrow

Unread 04-15-2003, 03:06 PM
conization tomorrow

I'm scheduled for a cervical conization tomorrow. My pap smear came back with "atypical glandular cells" and the doctor seems to think the biopsy itself will get rid of all the pre-cancerous cells. Does anyone know statistics on how many women with that diagnosis already have cervical cancer?
My husband and I have already had children, so the doctor can be aggressive with the biopsy.

I'll have to wait one week for the biopsy results, and would love to hear that most of the time, everything is ok.
Thanks
bj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2003, 07:31 PM
conization tomorrow

Hi BJ,

I'm sorry, I did try to find some information that might give you some answers but didn't find anything useful. I do want to wish you good luck tomorrow. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

's
Unread 04-15-2003, 07:35 PM
conization tomorrow

Hi, BJ!

Welcome to Cancer Concerns! I had a PAP that came back once showing atypical glandular cells, and my subsequent LEEP came back with squamous dysplasia but no glandular concerns. I have no idea what happened there . Odd. Anyway, atypical cells are cells that are not normal any longer, but not exactly abnormal either, so it's a very early find. It would be unusual (but not impossible) that a subsequent cone would identify invasive cervical cancer with a PAP that showed just atypia. The only thing is that glandular cells are located higher up inside the cervix and it is difficult to get a good sampling of them (usually only squamous cells are seen on a PAP), so when glandular cells are seen on a PAP they take it as a red flag that there is a problem somewhere that needs to be found before it is serious.

Good luck tomorrow! I hope your results come back quickly and show that they were able to get all of the questionable cells.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Conization

Hey BJ,

I just wanted to tell you that I had a conization done almost 20 years ago for carsinoma insitu. Which means basically cancer in at least one site. Anyway, it really was no big deal. They like to do this because, as stated in an earlier post, they can get further up in your cervix to see how far those cells are "being wierd". Well, after my conization, I had normal paps for years. This was even before pregnancy. After pregnancy I continued to have normal paps for years until just resently. I am having my TAH because of bleeding issues, not my cervix. However, I did decide to have my cervix removed so I wouldn't have to keep having the biopsys. So, you see, this is a really good thing to do, don't worry about those stats. If everything turns out ok after your cone just make sure you are very deligent about getting regular paps. I tested positive for HPV (the virus that causes cervical cancer) which is very common. If you haven't been tested, please make sure you do. If you do test positive for the virus, it might be worth you while to get paps every six months instead of yearly. That way if they see any abnormal cells they can be taken care of in office as opposed to in hospital. I've had both...... while the hospital cone biopsy was not a big deal, it did take up several days of valuable time for pre-op, exams, and recovery. The in office deal was much better. I was in and out in about an hour and felt great. Just something to think about.
Unread 04-16-2003, 07:03 AM
conization tomorrow

Thanks for all your reassurances. I'll post next week once I get the biopsy results back.
BJ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register