Getting scared again. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting scared again. Getting scared again.

Unread 04-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Getting scared again.

A quick reminder: I was referred to a gynaecological oncologist four weeks ago because an ultrasound scan revealed a 12.6 cm mass on my left ovary. It is fluid-filled but also contains solid matter. My CA 125 is 80. I am booked for a TAH / BSO on 1st. May.

This all came as a complete shock to me as my only symptoms had been some heavy bleeding during January and February which I assumed was peri-menopausal. Oh, one other symptom was some quite severe pain for a couple of days (6th. to 7th. January - I remember the date because I had to miss a party because of the pain). The pain was low down on the left side of my abdomen, like a severe period pain. It disappeared after a couple of days.

Since then I have had no pain until today. Now I have a dull but strong and persistant ache on my left side and back just below my waist. This is making me quite paranoid under the cir cumstances.

Questions I have are: do cancerous tumours of the ovary ever cause pain? Do benign cysts cause pain? Is this cyst likely to rupture? Any light anyone can shed on this would be much appreciated. (The pain is controllable with ordinary painkillers.) Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2003, 05:28 PM
To Answer..

I don't know about your specific cyst if it's trying to rupture or not--for that, you should call your Dr. and explain what is going on and how it differs from before. He/she should be aware something new is happening. Benign cysts can cause pain--I've had a cople years ago. Cancerous cysts can cause pain yes--in fact, that was my main symptom--lots of abdominal pain, but across the front, almost along the low loops of intestine. Let your Dr. know what's going on; he/she may want to check you before the surgery.
Unread 04-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Getting scared again.

s Latina

I agree with Margaret. Let your doc know about this latest bout of pain. Abdominal pain can be caused by cysts also.
My own type of abdominal pain was more generalized around my pelvis. For months it just always felt achy and crampy. Right before my diagnosis it became much more intense.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2003, 09:34 PM
Getting scared again.

Hi, Latina!

Wow. It's hard to believe that your surgery is only two weeks away! It will be easier once it's over, as then all the uncertainty will go away. It's always so wonderful to hear that someone's tumor(s) was/were benign. But if your aren't, don't despair. We are all in this fight together.

As for me and pain, I think some of my pain was more pressure-related, due to the ascites. I also felt, at one point, that I had perhaps torn my rectum, as it was in pain. I think, however, that the pressure from the tumor and the fluid was just created a sore situation. I did start to feel tired and weird shortly before my diagnosis. But I thought all that was from a post-surgical infection after my appendectomy.

Prior to the appendectomy, I can't seem to remember any symptoms. I got tired sometimes, but that's normal. I also had some weird bleeding and cramping when I went on the pill (which I hadn't used before). They changed the pill and the pain went away. So I didn't think anything else about it.

I hope your surgery goes well and pray that the doctors find ONLY BENIGNITY INSIDE! :-)

s!
Unread 04-17-2003, 12:42 PM
(((((Latina))))

Hi! Everything was benign for me.

I did have excruciating pain, however. At times I was rolling around on the floor moaning and crying in pain.

I had the pain that you described. I also had the "fork in the ovary" felt like someone stabbed me with fork and left it in. I had the "burning softball" felt like something the size of a softball was inside of me on fire. I had the "up the butt" pain which felt like a broom stick was up (you know where).

I lived off of percoset, vicoprofin and tylenol 3.

At one point I took 16 percoset in a 48 hour period with very little pain relief. When pain is escalated it could be a sign that the cyst had ruptured. (I ended up in the ER one time because my pain was so bad they wanted to make sure it had not ruptured. It hadn't.)

I certainly can relate to the fear and anxiety you are experiencing. The fear of the unknown can be terrorizing. It just doesn't seem fair that you are thrown into the possibiliy of cancer and then left to wait for your fate.

I think about you often having been in your shoes and hope my benign outcome can give you a little hope to hang onto as you await for your surgery.

Peace
Unread 04-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Getting scared again.

Thanks so much for your replies. The pain has considerably lessened today, and actually wasn't that bad yesterday: if it had been e.g. a period pain, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. It's just that at the moment the slightest twinge has me worried.

Unfortunately, both my G.P. and my oncologist are now on holiday. My G.P. won't be back until the Monday before my surgery, the oncologist comes back the day I go into hospital (at least he will be fresh and rested and - I hope - raring to go!) I could see another doctor in the practice, but don't see much point at the moment. I certainly would if things got worse though.

It seems from your replies that pain in itself is neither a sign for nor a sign against cancer. It helps to know that. I will just evaluate the situation according to the pain itself and stop second guessing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register