Scared with Fistula | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared with Fistula Scared with Fistula

Unread 04-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Scared with Fistula

Dear Fellow Princesses, I had a TAH on 10/28/02 My urine leaking didn't begin until 1/03. I'm on my second urologist, I've had some tests and medications. I can't have an IVP because I'm alergic to iodine dye. Dr. is going to give me a similar test but I have to have general anesthetic (May 7) From what I have read it sounds like I will need surgery again. I have many questions. How long in the castle? How long catheter post-op? I am a school teacher and trying to wait until mid June to have this all fixed. During my Hyst recovery this website waas a lifesaver to me. I know you can help me again. Some days I can laugh about peeing my pants all dy and my new found expertise of depends products. But other days...leaking throug my clothes two days in a row at work etc... I would appreciate any thoughts. This is the best website in he world! Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2003, 07:03 AM
(( ))

There are MANY ladies here that have had the repair or are going through the same thing. I was told I had a fistula BUT I have had very little leaking lately so for now the repair is on hold due to other problems. I hope you get some answers and I am sorry you are going through this.

Unread 04-18-2003, 07:17 AM
Scared with Fistula

Dear Casey,
I am so sorry you will have to go through this. I am a worst case scenario so I won't give you my story. Most of the fistula ladies stay in the hospital 4-7 days depending on how the procedure is done. If done vaginally some have gone home same day. The supra cath is usually in for 2-4 weeks. I wish you good luck. Most the ladies have been fixed first time.
God Bless,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Scared with Fistula

Dear Casey,

I too had a fistula. Had it repaired abdominally on Feb. 4th 2003 TAH was Nov 4th 2002.

I was in the hospital 4 days. I came home with both a foley cath and a suprapubic cath. Two weeks later I was down to JUST the supra cath.

I had my check up yesterday with my urologist and he feels fairly confident that my repair worked. I still have low energy and get fatigued so easily. I WAS a high energy woman jogging 4-5 miles a day. Now a walk/jog exhausts me let alone most everything.

I think it takes a lot of time to heal from a second major surgery. I am hard on myself although I keep telling myself to take each day as it comes. Depression is a biggy too. I am on antidepressants as well.

Each person is different and it really depends on how the fistula is repaired on how long it will take you to recover. Remember though that YOUR health is more important than anything.

Take care and you are in my thoughts.
Renee
Unread 04-18-2003, 07:50 PM
Re: Scared Fistula

Thank You sisters for your support. I wentt o the Drs. office today and had an ultrasound of my kidneys. (I have a urinary tract infection.) Two days ago my left kidney started hurting. Today after the test both kidneys hurt. The more pain and discomfort I am in the more ready I am to have the surgery and get on again with my recovery. I live in the midwest. The weather has been very dreary lately. Tomorrow I am off for a week in Phoenix. I think the sunshine and warmth alone will brighten my spirits. Thanks again....Casey
Unread 04-18-2003, 07:57 PM
Scared with Fistula

Hi Casey

Hope you are feeling better sweetie..there are several ladies(including me) with fistula's who are in different stages of their recovery. I just had mine repaired 3/18/03 and am 1 month post-op. You did not say what type of fistula you have- I am thinking by your post it is a vescio-vaginal fistula??

What you can do is a search and you will find the threads that can take you from beginning to end of some of our treatments. They were a wealth of information for me and I just closed my thread yesterday.. It is "Just Found Out I Have A Fistula".

You are still at work- that is great you can manage that. I will keep you in my prayers and let us know what else we can help you with.. we are here for you sister..

Unread 04-23-2003, 09:07 AM
Scared with Fistula

Dear Karen,

Thanks for the support. I will go and read through the thread you started. I have a ureterovaginal (sp?) fistula. I'm anxious to find out the avereage recovery time of vaginal surgery vs. abdominal surgery. Do you have any idea? Thanks fellow sister.

Casey
Unread 04-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Scared with Fistula

Hi Casey

Glad to hear from you!! The recovery time varies for everyone. I had a vaginal fix, which of course is easier on your body than abdominally.. but I would say you are looking at a minimum of 6-8 weeks recovery. You really have to be careful and you will be catherized for at least 2 weeks and maybe more after surgery. My URO left my supra in for 3.5 weeks to be on the safe side and I am doing great so far.

You cannot lift anything, drive while on the pain meds etc. also.. I did not leave the house for 2 weeks and then only for short periods of time. I have no stamina left(even now) after having 2 major surgeries is 2 months. and am now only starting to get out by myself for any length of time. Work is not an issue for me right now as my job was eliminated because I was out so long. I would say being a school teacher it would be hard for you to go back before 8 weeks as you stand on your feet alot of the day and that can be very painful after this surgery, so getting it done over the summer would be great if you could wait that long.

I hope this helps you- thinking and praying healing thoughts your way!! If you need anything else please let me know!!

Unread 04-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Scared with Fistula

Dear Karen- Thank you for your lengthy response. I did take your advice and I went back and read through your thread "I Just Found Out I Have A Fistula". It helps to not feel so alone and to find the humor in all of this where I can. I have a test coming up on May7 that will determine which type of surgery I need. The Dr. wanted to do an IVP, but I am severly allergic to the dye. So he has to give me general anesthetic and use a different kind of dye. He also found a nodule imbeded in my vaginal wall. He plans to biopsy that while I'm under. I really want to wait and have the surgery after school gets out, we'll see what he says. Thank you for your support. I'll keep in touch.

Casey
Unread 04-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Scared with Fistula

Casey,

You are definitely NOT alone. Post anytime. It is a scary thing. This site saved me. Tell someone you have a fistula and they think it is a new type of flower.

I am having my fistula repaired next Thursday (2nd time). Keep strong and keep laughing. Take one day at a time. You can and will get through this.

Sherry

p.s. Karen -- glad you are doing well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register