Scared with Fistula - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared with Fistula Scared with Fistula

Unread 05-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Scared with Fistula

Karen- Thanks for the support. I had a bad day and figured this was a good place to come. It was very hard to be back at work today. As a school teacher I stand or sit most of the day. It was uncomfortable to sit or stand today. Maybe tomorrow I'll bring a pillow for my chair. I've also been bruising from the tape, so I bought a different kind tonight. We'll see how it works. Anyone have any ideas of things I can try at work to make things more managable? Unfortunately, not working is not an option. Thanks. Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 04:28 AM
Scared with Fistula

Hi Casey

Oh you poor thing- I would definately bring in a pillow- I still sit on one if at all possible- my behind still hurts at 8 weeks post-op. There is no way you can take some time off huh?? Working as you do is going to be very uncomfortable. Are you taking anything for pain. at least tylenol might help- but do check with your DR. do you have spasms at all- I had them all the time and nothing helped them except lying down and staying very still.. You just don't want to undo what the DR did.. can you maybe take some time off with no pay if that is possible?? just an ..your bladder needs to rest to heal so maybe you can explain that to the school district?? I feel sooo bad for you- you are stuck between a rock and a hardplace it sounds like.

As for the tape issue- my leg still has bruises from the dang tape. I tried all different kinds and the best was one I got from URO office and the hospital It was paper tape 1 1/2 inches wide and that held the bag the best. also when I was in the shower I used soap and water to get the sticky stuff off the rubber hose part(hope you understand this) so the next day the tape held just as well..also I moved where I taped everyday as best as I could.

Please keep me posted as I am thinking and praying for your journey to be at an end soon. Let me know if you need anything else I am always around checking in!!

Unread 05-13-2003, 06:27 AM
Scared with Fistula

Hi Casey,

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. My ex husband was a biology teacher so I understand how difficult it would be to take off right now. Hopefully school will be out soon. Our schools here will be out next week but my grandchildren live in WI & go until June 10th.

I have a donut pillow I bought at a drugstore. I use it sitting at the computer & riding in the car. The urethral cath was very difficult for me. The only thing that relieved the pain was to walk then it irritated my vagina. I wear the big bag but I too did not like the tape so I wore long jumpers when I went out & safety pinned it to the inside of the dress. I also wear the adult diapers so I arrange the tube so it is secured to the diaper. It took some doing to find what was comfortable for me.

With surgery coming up next week I was concerned about the excersize issue. I am a very active person & love to garden & walk. I was afraid with taking a muscle from my leg to patch my bladder that I wouldn't be able to enjoy summer. However both the plastic surgeon & urologist have said after I get the pain under control the excersize will help get the needed blood to areas to heal. I try to not sit, stand or lie in one position for too long. I take ambien at night for sleep & have pillows so I don't move around too much.

Good Luck,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Scared with Fistula

Dear Karen and Terry,
You are both lifesavers! I was very down last night but had a better day today. The difference was that I was able to make some decisions that I do have control over. I teach young children so I didn't want to bring in a donut. I brought in a towel and put it under the cushion on my rocking chair, that helped some. I bought paper tape but it wan't wide enough so it didn't hold up the bag well. I ended up having to strap the velcro on real tight to get through the day.

When I got home from work the sun was actually shinning (its been rainy and windy for two weeks). I decided to clean up after my dogs and mow the backyard! And I did it! It looks wonderful and feel a great sense of accomplishment. I'm getting ready to lay down on the couch and watch TV all evening. I live alone and am very stubborn. If there is something that I can do, then I will do it. Having the hysterectomy last fall was very humbling for me. I had to have people help. In the end my friends were more than happy to help and I learned to accept their help.

I get my cath. out on Mon. Then I just have to wait (I don't know how long) to see if the cauterizaton worked. If not then I'm headed back to the castle for abdominal surgery to repair the fistula as soo as school ends. I am finished with school on June 14. It can't come soon enough. You both remain in my prayers as well. Casey
Unread 05-13-2003, 05:51 PM
Scared with Fistula

You will get your cathater out on my birthday! Hopefully you will be dry. Today I tried a leg bag again since I still had a new one I hadn't tried. It was one that strapped above the ankle. I noticed I was leaking & of course I was wearing white pants. Pulled it up to check, couldn't see where it was leaking. Forgot about & later noticed pants were even more wet. DH said just put your big bag back on stop messing with it. Something always happens w/my leg bags.

We had plans to stay in town all day, shopping & eating dinner but we never made it to the antique mall or dinner because I was so tired by 1:30PM. It was a nice day anyway!

You certainly deserve to rest after the busy day you have had. I love to mow the lawn but my dh put his foot down at that right now. I secretly thinks he likes to do it anyway. Well it is off to bed for me.

Hope you have an even better day tomorrow!
Terry
Unread 05-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Scared with Fistula

Hi Casey

sooo glad you are feeling better- but PLEASE take it easy.. I would not recommend mowing the lawn. as it puts alot of pressure on you abdominal muscles/bladder area- and you do want it to rest as much as possible. I just want this to heal for you sweetie and as hard as it is and as stubborn as you are- you have to take it easy when you can!!

This was so hard for me to do also- as I have alot going on all the time with DH and 4 kids- but that is what the Dr's and nurses said was the most important part of the recovery- to let it all heal up!! well enough of that- just happy you seem happier and found some relief at work.

Just think the end of the year is coming for school- good for you-but crazy for me (lol)- so then you can catch up on all you need to around the house..have a great day and keep us posted..

Unread 05-17-2003, 05:34 AM
Scared with Fistula

HI Casey

Just wondering how you are doing and hoping you are feeling better!! Please let me know when you have a moment!!
Unread 05-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Scared with Fistula

Dear Karen,
Thank you for thinking of me. I get my catheter out on Monday! I can't wait. I'm wondering if it might cause some cramping or other discomfort. Do you know? I had a funny thing happen today that only another hyster sister would appreciate. I was in the bathroom emptying my leg bag when my puppy scout nosed his way in. He was going for a sock left on the floor, so I moved my foot over to shoo him away. The catheter followed my foot, so I peed across the floor and over a pair of my shoes! I'm very ready to return to peeing sitting down. Hope you are having good weekend. I'll post on Monday when I know more.
Casey
Unread 05-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Scared with Fistula

Hi Casey

Hey watch those doggies Huh??!! Are you talking about pain when the cath comes out- there really was none for me- just had a big sigh of relief!! Keep me updated on your great progress.. I am thinking of you girl!! have a great Sunday and do rest!!
Unread 05-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Scared with Fistula

Casey,

You'd think we'd get use to the cath after all the time we use(d) them. I can't tell you how many times I've peed on "things" while emptying my bag too.

I was so worried about the supra coming out. I even took a pain med before I went and it didn't hurt at all...felt weird. The foley(s) were going in and out so often I got use to that....just a bit of uncomfortness for a second.

I did feel "raw" after the foley came out. To be exected after having it in for so long.

It felt so GREAT to pee "normal" again. Good luck. I hope Monday goes okay.

Renee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register