I'm a mess! .....update | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm a mess! .....update I'm a mess! .....update

Unread 04-18-2003, 05:58 PM
I'm a mess! .....update

Hi ladies!

I think my last post was about my esophageal problems that were brought on by taking Motrin for my pelvic pain.......well, this is day 6 of my esophageal spasms and it's not getting better. Yes, I have been on the phone to my doctor several times this week. My doctor keeps changing prescriptions on me and adding new ones to my growing list of meds. I lost count at this point. I think between my IC meds, my BCP's and my esophagus meds, I'm up to about 10 different medications now! I have lost 9 1/2 pounds since Sunday and I still can't eat. I have been living off of 200-300 calories a day. The GI clinic finally called me to set up my appointment and it's not until May 20th! I'll lose 50 pounds by then if I keep going at this rate! So I called my doctor back again and she has sent a message to the GI clinic to call me right away to get in for an xray.......still no call! The nurse I talked to said to not eat anything that makes it worse.......I told her that that means pretty much about everything! Even water hurts! I have told them that a few times now. They just weren't getting the picture. I'm wondering if I should go to the ER????? I have only been going to the bathroom about 3 times a day. Now, remember that I have IC and am used to going 20 or more times a day. Maybe I'm getting dehydrated???? I am thirsty, I am hungry and most of all I am in pain! My esophagus hurts and I feel the pain in my back(in the same spot) and in my neck and jaws. My stomach hurts really bad and I feel like I have something "stuck" under my ribs on my left side. Wierd! Anyway......just needed to whine and complain. Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2003, 08:57 PM
I'm a mess! .....update

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear you're still having these problems, pasdechat. I don't think you'll lose 50lbs, as your weight loss will slow down. However, in answer to your question - yes, if it were me, at this point I would go to the ER. There are too many things going on and if you can't eat or drink you can get yourself into more trouble pretty quickly. Even if all that happens is that you get put on an IV, that would be a help. It would also help to get an assessment as to whether or not you need other medical support at this time.

Whatever you decide, I hope you find an answer soon.
Unread 04-18-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm a mess! .....update

(((((pasdechat))))))) I can't believe all of you've been going through Please, do head to the ER: this might be the only way to speed up the process. And it's highly possible that you are dehydrated and bordering undernourishment.

Have you tried drinking your water at room temperature instead of cold? Would that help? When my father had infection in his throat, only "Ensure" prevented him from starving. And he was lucky enough to have it prescribed for him, so that his insurance would pay for it.

Sending tons of healing s your way. Please let us know how things go for your
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2003, 08:13 AM
I'm a mess! .....update

I did not go to the ER last night, but I'm going to go today! I still can't eat. I actually ate some mashed potatoes last night because I was soooooo starving and I wanted to get something "real" in me. I was in so much pain after that! I'm just not getting better at all. I am now down 10 1/2 pounds.......oh, BTW, I was kidding about the 50 pounds. I was being sarcastic. My weight loss has already slowed down. I was losing 3 pounds a day at first, now it's it's down to 1 pound a day. I know it will slow down even more. At this point, I don't see my pain going away! It's no better than it was a week ago! The positive side to this is that it is helping my IC symptoms. They are practically gone! Of course my bladder is only getting full about every 6 hours, versus the every hour that it's used to!

I'll let you know what happens!
Unread 04-19-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm a mess! .....update

I'm glad to hear you're going to the ER. You have some symptoms that need an explanation. Hopefully this will speed things up. I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 04-19-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm a mess! .....update

{{{pasdechat}}}
I've had alot of weight loss recently, a size 4 skirt fell off of me while shopping for some new duds to go to Cancun. However, it does seem that I lost alot initially and than it slowed down. I'm still up and down ALOT, so guess I'll have to double pack for my trip. My docs don't seem to have an answer.

I'm glad you're going to the ER my friend, I hope they will have some answers for you.
Unread 04-19-2003, 11:46 PM
I'm a mess! .....update

pasdechat...are you home yet? I hope they are finding answers and helping you. Fingers are crossed, thinking of you, and waiting for word. Bless you.
Unread 04-20-2003, 08:41 AM
I'm a mess! .....update

Thank you ladies for thinking about me

I spent a few hours in the ER hooked up to an IV. They did more blood tests and they all came out fine. I was relieved because I was getting concerned about the pain and pressure under my ribs on my left side. I thought it might be my liver or my gallbladder or pancreas or whatever organs might be right there! They ran tests for all of those organs and I'm fine! Well, not fine, my esophagus is still a mess. They put in an order for an emergency esophagram(sp?), so the GI clinic is supposed to call me right away. But of course this is the weekend, so I wouldn't expect to hear from them until tomorrow.

They gave me this really nasty stuff to drink that has lidocaine in it! Yuck! It numbed my esophagus, which was a really weird feeling! They were doing it for pain relief, but I think also it was a test to see if all my pain was coming from just my esophagus.

The doctor also sent me home with some liquid vicodin. That is the coolest stuff! Friday night, I tried to take regular vidodin, broken in 2 pieces and it STILL got stuck on the way down! So, I have it in liquid form and I didn't even know it came that way!

When I got home, I took some of the vicodin and then ate some chicken and mashed potatoes!(yes it hurt, but tasted sooooo good and was soooooo worth it!) I was sooooooooo starving! Beyond starving! I'm surprised I didn't get dehydrated! I was only drinking about 1 glass of water a day and maybe 1 can of Ensure a day. I was feeling like I was just starting to get dehydrated because I wasn't going to the bathroom much, like 3 times a day. That is a major difference since I have IC and am usually going all the time. I couldn't even give them a urine sample until I got a whole bunch of IV fluids in me!

I feel slightly better this morning, but that's how it has been. I wake up feeling better and then it gets worse again. So we will see!

I'll let you know when I have the esophagram. Thanks for your concerns everyone!
Unread 04-20-2003, 08:47 AM
I'm a mess! .....update

Good for you for going for help! It sounds like this will get you an answer to the problems with your esophagus in short order.

As for the pain in your side - I have had a problem with pain in this location for a long time. The only organ that is in that area is your bowel. I have the same thing - the ribs get sore. I feel pressure that turns into pain pretty quickly. So far nobody has been able to figure out just what the problem is. I'm being referred to a pain clinic but I'd like an answer, not a bandaid. However, any port in a storm . . .

Hope you find out what's going on with you real soon.
Unread 04-20-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm a mess! .....update

((((((((Joselle))))))))

I'm so sorry that you are going thru this sweetie
I sure hope they can get you in ASAP for the esophagram. And I hope it gives you some much needed answers.
Let us know what happens tommorrow when you have the test done & hang in there 's 's

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register