Scared Today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Scared Today

Hi everyone,

I am now 5 weeks post op today. I had pretty bad anemia before the surgery and after the surgery it got even worse so the dr decided I needed iron so on Tuesday I had to get 500 units of iron intravenously. Today ( Friday) I went for a CBC to get my blood counts. They were lower than before I got the iron. WHY? My dr just seemed disappointed. I have had an infection of my sutures, a ruptured cyst and the chronic anemia since the surgery. I am now depressed and scared . Dr tried to reassure saying it is may be too early to tell if iron absorbed. It has had three full days to absorb it, but I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to this blood stuff. If there is anyone out there who can give advice I would appreciate. I thought after all the physical and emotional problems since the surgery that I would be better by now esp with the new iron. Depression has really been bad today and I am alone - DH took his daughter away for Easter weekend - Was hoping the chat room would be open for a little boost from everyone - miss you girls today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Scared Today

Oh honey dont be so scared, Im sure there is plenty of things to boost your iron. Did dr. tell you to eat things high in iron?
I know for one thing raisins are very high in iron, so is liver, and look for certin cereals and nuts that can be high in iron too.
Also if I were you Id be taking a daily dose of vitamins with added iron.
get plenty of rest and dont worry so much, stress can also make oyu ill.
Unread 04-19-2003, 02:21 AM
Scared Today

oh sweetie sounds like you did have a bad day. Hope you are resting and giving yourself extra healing time to make up for the anemia. remember your princess training--drink, rest , walk.

Many ladies have some depression issues post op and here you are feeling all lonely with your empty house. You might check out the Aching Hearts forum to get more help on the emotional recovery after hysterectomy.
Chat will be open limited hours tomorrow and dont forget to check out the one to one support area (There should be a link at the top of the page)

Good luck
Xo betsy TAH aug 28 kept ovaries
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2003, 06:39 AM
hi scared too...

Hi, I just wanted to say that I am 4 weeks yesterday, after being in the hospital for 16 days......after complications I too am terribly anemic. I was afraid to get the blood. So the doctor is giving me iron orally, slowly but surely my blood count is coming up. Doc says that having a wound hematoma and then a post op infection did not help. But, please remember this, every day, your iron stores will go up!!! I used to work for the blood bank. Best wishes for everyone going through recovery. The chat room is the best. Everyone has been wonderful and supportive. Thank you for being here when I have needed people the most....

Zoey

AB/OBO 3/21/03 severe endo, bleeding, post op complications
Unread 04-19-2003, 06:39 AM
vitamin C and iron

I had to take iron for a while and discovered that vitamin C helps your body to absorb iron better.

Perhaps eating fresh citrus fruits and/or taking a vitamin C supplement will help your body to respond quicker to the iron.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Unread 04-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Scared Today

awww I miss you too!!!! I hope that you are doing ok. I am worried about your depression, if it does not get better let your doctor know. Maybe we will meet up in chat......who knows? You can email me anytime though!!! Take care hun and hang in there!!!!!!
Unread 04-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Scared Today

Hi,

I work in a research group developing agents to remove excess iron from patients with iron overload diseases. Although you have the opposite problem, I may be able to offer you some useful information.

The half-life of IV administered iron (usually in the form of iron dextran) in patients is 3 days, and it may take a full 60 days for the newly administered iron to equilibrate in your tissues. In addition, it will take some time before you see an elevation in your hemoglobin or red blod cell counts. If you have been chronically anemic, your bone marrow is almost certainly depleted of the iron necessary to produce red blod cells with a "normal" amount of hemoglobin. You may want to ask your doctor about doing a reticulocyte count- these are immature red blood cells released by the bone marrow and are considered a sign of a regenerative anemia.

At any rate, try not to worry. It will take a while for you to respond fully to the iron, but your counts should climb slowly and return to normal levels in a few months. Has your doctor discussed giving you a blood transfusion? It will make you feel much better until you are able to make your own red blood cells.

Jan
Unread 04-20-2003, 06:28 AM
Scared Today

I was severely anemic two weeks post-op so my DR put me on iron pills and prenatal vitamins (pretty ironic- prenatal vitamins and no uterus!) She said it would take a month for my bloods to be better and after four weeks she had me renew the prescriptions. I guess it's a slow process...
LSN
SAH 2/26/03
Unread 04-20-2003, 01:02 PM
Anemia

Hi, sorry to hear about your situation. Just know your not alone. I too am anemic, I lost over 500cc of blood during my surgery. I am 6 months post-op and am still having trouble getting my iron up. I have been drinking a lot of orange juice and taking lots of vitamin c. As of right now my white blood count is down lower than before and I am very concerned, so I know what your going through. Keep good thoughts and talk with your doctor about this to relieve your mind, that's what I am doing next week. Take care of yourself.
Keleann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register