TAH/BSO - The best thing I've ever done for me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO - The best thing I've ever done for me TAH/BSO - The best thing I've ever done for me

Thread Tools
Unread 04-18-2003, 11:31 PM
The best thing I've ever done for me

I saw a new Gyn in January 2002, and had to wait eight months to get in that early. I was hoping I would luck out and get someone who would really listen and help, since my periods had gone completely out of control. She listened to my stories of cramps that would almost knock me to the floor, periods that used to last three days a month going as long as eight or nine days, using overnight pads night and day(that didn't always do the job), and taking up to twelve ibuprofen daily just to get minimum relief.

After a very thorough exam, and two transvaginal ultrasounds, she recommend a hysterctomy. I told her I needed time to think about it, partly because I was afraid of another abdominal surgery (a tubal ligation in 1978) and because of how my employers would react.

In August 2002, the decision was made for me. One Friday at work, the pain was horrible, and the bleeding worse than usual. Luckily that was my half day, so I finished my work and got home as fast as I could. I didn't leave the house the whole weekend, and when Monday rolled around, I couldn't even dry off from the shower without having to put on a pad, and then get cleaned up again. When I got to work, the office manager called me in to her office and chewed me out for leaving before the other girl finished her work. I told her I was done and had a reason for leaving. She asked why, and I lost it; I told her I thought I might be bleeding to death, couldn't leave my house all weekend, and couldn't even take a decent shower that morning. She asked if she could do anything to help, and I told her I needed the time off for a hyst. She agreed.

I called my doctor that day, and got the ball rolling. In two days I had a surgery date for October 1.

I worked right up through the day before surgery, and almost didn't make it to the drugstore in time to get my preps. I had to do an enema and betadine douche that night, and again the next morning.

At 5:30 that morning, my daughter, husband and I took off for the hospital. I checked in right before 6:00 and was finally taken back for blood pressure, and blood draw. Forgot to take off my jewelry, so had to give it to my daughter. Was then taken to a cubicle to undress, and while I put on the gown it hit me that it was really going to happen. I was freezing, and when the gurney arrived, I was helped on, and then the nurse covered me with warm heated blankets---very nice. I was then given a Pepcid and a Valium, and whisked away to the holding area with my DD in tow. A nice woman put Teds on me, I got the IV, then my doctor came and introduced me to her assistant. The A man was late, and by that time the Valium kicked in. My daughter had to tell him about nausea I have with general anesthesia, because I was really floating by then.

I don't remember much after that except telling DD goodbye, and suddenly I was being wheeled in the OR. They hooked the leads on me and had me stretch my arms out, then I heard the A man say "Goodnight". When I woke up in recovery, I was in so much pain, but they wouldn't do the PCA thing till I was in my room, and I couldn't go to my room until the resp. therapist came to see me.

Finally I was in my room and the first ones I saw were my daughters and a friend who had driven an hour and a half to be there when I was in surgery. I could hear my husband telling everyone that he should probably go back to work, which upset my yougest DD. My parents didn't get there until well after I got to my room. They had out of town guests, and didn't want to come until the guests had left.

My youngest DD told me that the doctor had to take my ovaries because they were covered in endo and really "stuck" in me, so it was a good thing I had decided beforehand to have them removed. At least this way it wasn't a shock. I was in and out, but DD's looked out for me; made the nurse put a pad on the bed, even though she told them I didn't need one since I didn't have anything left in there that would bleed. Fed me ice chips because my throat was so sore, and stayed till I fell asleep.

I slept very little and was awake at 5:30 the next morning when they came to draw blood. At 7:30 the doctor came by and after she left, the nurse took off the dressing. She loosened a corner and then just ripped off in one long pull. Talk about pain! I thought I lost some skin. Then I asked if I could sit or stand up, as no one had helped me do that yet. She made it sound like it was my fault it hadn't been done the day before. Then she had me stand up and took my gown off, and proceeded to give me a sponge bath while I stood naked holding onto the bedrail. I was in mortified at the thought that just anyone could have walked into the room and saw that.

DD came in just as the nurse finished putting my gown on me. She wasn't gentle about it, but I don't think she understood that just her touching me was extremely painful. My DD saw that I was in pain and told the nurse that she was hurting me. The nurse basically blew her off, so DD went to the nurses station, found out the name of nursing supervisor and filed a complaint with her. The nurse came in later and told me what my daughter did, and said she was in trouble with the supervisor. I told her I would talk with the woman. When she came to the room, I told her I was in a lot of pain, and didn't think the nurse had truely meant to hurt me; but that my DD was just looking out for me. The supervisor just stared at me and left.

After lunch, liquid diet don't ya know, I got rid of the PCA pump. About an hour later the sore throat stopped, thank goodness. I started taking pain meds orally then. The catheter came out, and the flotrons came off, so I made many trips up and down the hall pushing the IV pole with me.

At 3:30 the next morning, the gas pains hit with a vengence. I walked the halls every other hour, but it didn't help. At 7:00 the nurse from the day before came in and told me that since my DD didn't like her, it had been decided that another nurse would be my nurse that day. I thought, I don't need this crap! Not after having major surgery, and now the darned gas pains I can't get rid of. The doctor made her rounds and brought the new nurse with her. She said she couldn't understand what went wrong, they had never had a complaint about that nurse. Thankfully, the new nurse was very nice, even though she had been called in on her day off. I asked the doctor if I could go home, and was told I could when I passed gas.

The gas pain got really bad, so the new nurse called the doctor and got permission to give me Gas X. When that didn't work, she gave me a suppository, and two hours later gave me another one. The second one finally helped. I walked and walked, and after another liquid meal I asked if I could shower. I got my shower, but I had to take it holding onto the metal bar. I didn't get a stool to sit on, and no one checked on me. I was scared to stay in too long, but at least I felt a little better. The nurse took off the IV and when I looked down blood was pouring out of my hand where it had been inserted. I had to hold pressure on it until she came back with a band-aid. The knot was there for two weeks.

At five that afternoon, I finally got the news that I could go home. That lifted my spirts as nothing else could have. I called my DD at work and she was surprised that I could leave. While I was packing my bag, supper was brought. I couldn't believe it, solid food and I was leaving! They told me to go ahead and eat, afterall, I was paying for it.

When I was wheeled outside to get in the car, I was just thankful that the surgery was over, and I could get on with my life.

I don't regret having a hyst, and wish I would have done it sooner. I'm so glad I found this site before my surgery, because I knew what to expect, thanks to the wonderful ladies here.
Sponsored Links

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
0 Reply, Started By Adelita
0 Reply, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Stories
0 Reply, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories
0 Reply, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories
0 Reply, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories


Hysterectomy News

October 30,2020


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!