recovery time for ovary removal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery time for ovary removal? recovery time for ovary removal?

Unread 04-21-2003, 08:59 AM
recovery time for ovary removal?

Hi All:

I just spoke to my doc and he said I should be off work for another 4 weeks. No Lifting!!! I clean homes for a living. Is this normal. I know it is for a hysterectomy but do they still consider this a hysterectomy? Or is it an oopherectomy? Still, why so long for recovery. I was not expecting this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 09:12 AM

Hi there

I do not have experience with oopherectomy... that is the term for ovarian removal, hysterectomy is removal of the uterus... but I know that others... probably too many ... have gone in for that surgery and will surely be around very soon to add some insight.

I guess the length of time you have to be off work and the lifting restrictions not only involve the surgery you're having, but how they're performing it and how much work is involved. I'm guessing that, due to your line of work, it's possible that your doctor wants to ensure that you have enough time off to ensure that you will not do any damage.

Sending lots of s your way.
Unread 04-21-2003, 10:13 AM

swilson:

I'm sorry that you are dealing with an unexpected recovery time I'm sure the Dr. has good reason for it though. Like Dany said, maybe it has to do with your line of work that you do. Maybe you could call your Dr. & ask why so long ? I dont have any experience with this - my ovaries were taken out at the time of my hyst.
I just want to add lots of ((((((((Hugs)))))))) & want you to know that we are always here for you. Please take care of yourself & be a good Princess.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 10:26 AM

Were your ovaries removed abdominally or via a laproscope? That could have a bearing on recovery time. I'm sure that your doctor has your best interests at You only have one chance to heal properly.

I had my left ovary removed before the hyst, that was done laproscopically. I took a few days off for that. Before that I had a laprotomy for which I was off work for 6 weeks. After the hyst I had an incision revision and I was off work for a week and was told no lifting, etc for at least 4 weeks. Different surgeries, different doctors, different recovery times.

We are all different and heal at different rates. Please do listen to your doctor.
Unread 05-04-2003, 04:30 PM

Hi,
2 weeks since last post on thread, but thought you might like to hear similar experience. I had oopherectomy via laparotomy and found that I need *at least* 6 weeks off work. I am now over 4 weeks post-op and I'm nowhere near ready to go back to work - and my job is just a desk job. If doing more physical work I think it would be much longer. It can be a big operation too, especially if laparotomy (big incision rather than small one).
Good luck and Hug!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register