Is my doc the only one who disagrees with "swelly belly"? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is my doc the only one who disagrees with "swelly belly"? Is my doc the only one who disagrees with "swelly belly"?

Unread 04-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Is my doc the only one who disagrees with "swelly belly"?

I had my 6 week post op today and told him I am not back in my jeans yet because my tummy is still swollen. He said only the first couple of weeks it was swollen, now it is just out of shape abs! I realize I just had a TVH/BSO, no incisions or anything, but from what I have read here, this swelly belly is normal, and it is bigger in the evenings like has been described here...well, I can start exercising now, so I guess we shall see! Has anyone else's doctor said anything like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 04:30 PM

Hi!

My doctor said the cause of swelly belly is from the trauma of surgery. The is alot of internal work done; removing organs, reattaching ligaments, etc. I was told it could take many months to completely go away. My swellng was worse on days I was very active. My swelly belly eventually went away by about 4 months post-op.

s
Unread 04-21-2003, 05:09 PM

I went for my 6 week last Wed. and my said take a stool softner or Metamucil thinking it must be a bowel thing. It can't be that because I take Metamucil every day. I really think it is swollen tissue ,because at the end of the day it swells and I had a TVH. The more I'm on my feet I really notice it. Oh, well it will get better. I think mine is better this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 05:17 PM

That doesn't explain why the swelling is gone in the morning and gets bigger over the course of the day like mine does. I can see my ab muscles right above my swollen area. How in the world could a person have well muscled abs on top and out of shape ones on the bottom? Oh yeah, and I can see well muscled lower abs better in the morning. So during the day my muscles just get weaker down there and turn to mush then reappear the next morning. Not possible! He needs to get real. It's swelling and I'm over 3 months post now and it's still here.
Unread 04-21-2003, 05:28 PM

Hi NE Lisa, I am six weeks post op with a tah and bso and from everything that i have been reading and researhing the swelly belly is real. I get depressed at times that my clothes do not fit that does not mean that I am not fit. I do admit that i would like to get in better shape but I do beleave that the swelly belly is all a part of our healing process. My Dr. told me to not worry and to just concentrate on getting healthy. take care you are not aone. Juniper Breeze
Unread 04-21-2003, 05:36 PM

It's been almost 3 weeks since my tah bso and my belly is definitely swollen, I wear my clothes but I have not worn any jeans or anything that was at all uncomfy before. I did have an incision, a large vertical incision because I had a very large mass. My doctor told me my belly would be swollen for several weeks. Hopefully everything will get better. I too am concerned about mine.
Unread 04-21-2003, 07:37 PM

I am almost 7 weeks, and the belly is really big . I finally looked human yesterday, but not without the help of a long waisted girdle, and some stretchy bigger clothes. You know I had to get out and feel good for Easter . When I removed the girdle the belly was so happy . My doctor told me it could take at least 8 weeks for the belly to go, I am thinking it will take me more. I also see little ab muscles above the belly. I am being patient, I will not except that it will not go away, I am determined!!!! be patient!!!!
Unread 04-21-2003, 10:24 PM

NE Lisa,

I am at 15 weeks after my surgery (9 wks after post op) and I still have the belly issue. I had to go out and buy some jeans 1 size bigger with the elastic on the sides because I can't keep walking around in sweats. I have been exercising every day (treadmill) and I still have not shrunk down. I am toting almost 10 extra pounds that I picked up since the surgery. I too have noticed extra swelling in the evening hours. It can be very uncomfortable at times. I take a stool softener and laxative every now and then because it would appear that my intestines are still ticked about being touched during the surgery.I have been very lucky in that I have been able to telecommute on my job. If not, I would have had to buy a new wardrobe to accommodate my waist. I'm trying to be patient, but it is not easy.
Unread 04-21-2003, 10:34 PM

I am 3 months post op and I still have the swelly belly in the evenings. I've noticed in the mornings that my belly is almost back to normal, but by afternoon, whoa nelly, there it is back with a vengence. My TAH/USO was Jan 14th. My doc said the same thing "need to exercise" but my brain tells my abs to do a crunch and the abs SCREAM "No way!" It is really weird feeling. Anyway, my biggest problem now is the fatigue. It is unreal.
Unread 04-22-2003, 07:26 AM
swelly belly

First I want to tell every-one how gratefull I am to have found this site ! I think I would have been in shock when I woke up from the op. since Dr. & some nurses don't seem to feel the need to inform us of what to expect. This site has really helped,even with little things like what to take to the hosp. Anyway I had a full hyst. & bladder suspension on 4/1. My abd. is so swollen,I actually measured myself the other day breasts,waist & hips,I have added 3-4 in. & measure the same all the way down no wonder I feel & look like a barrel !! I'm trying to be patient b/c from what i've read here I/m not the only one who exp. this.I do get frustrated but I'm trying to stay positive.Ialso cannot get into my clothes including the ones that used to loose.Also my adb. between the belly button & the lovely bikini cut is still so tender I don't want any thing pressing against it. I read Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" which I've found encouraging,she talks alot about loving our inner selves ,loving our bodies as they are today,not that one can't continue to work on them to get ourselves in the place where we feel healthest & best. Iwalk every day if possible & I can do some gentle stretching. I still want to address the hormone issue,for now I am using the patch,which is being stubborn b/c it won't stay on .This might not work in the summer when in the water alot which I am .Anyway does any one have any sugg. about late in the day swelling & weight gain ? I'm very carefull about my diet my Dr. told me to drink slim fast for break. & lunch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register