Can HRT effect contact lenses? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can HRT effect contact lenses? Can HRT effect contact lenses?

Unread 08-29-2000, 08:55 PM
Can HRT effect contact lenses?

Hi ladies...
I had TAH BSO in January. I've been taking Premarin 2.5 since then. My question involves contact lenses. My eyes have gotten progessively dryer since my surgery. I am 42 and have worn hard lenses since I was 16. I've never had a problem wearing them until now. My eyes are so irritated that I can't even put them in and I'm very sensitvie to light. Is it possible that the estrogen could have an effect on my eyes? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2000, 09:15 PM

Hi, I have worn contact lenses since before my TAH BSO in 1986. Maybe you should try soft contact lenses. I am now using the weekly wear. You don't need to take them out each night, but I do for evening dry eyes. I have noticed me eyes getting dryer for the last year in the evening when I am tired. JMHO I feel it has to do with age mostly, 42 here also. Good Luck!
Unread 08-29-2000, 09:22 PM

Though they do mention problems with contacts in warnings about hrt prescriptions, I think it has more to do with menopause than the estrogen. I was having more trouble with my eyes last fall when I couldn't be on HRT than I am now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2000, 10:21 PM

maybe progesterone would help this situation...it is worth a shot
Unread 08-29-2000, 11:27 PM

Yes, Marcia, it is so possible that it's nearly probable. In fact, it's almost a rule of thumb that women can't wear their contact lenses towards the end of a pregnancy--not only because of dryness, but because hormone changes can change the shape of the eyeball itself. But the good news is that as the demographic bulge (and the market share it drives) plunges into menopause, contact lens manufacturers are addressing this. Just in the past few years (since when I gave up my contacts for this reason ) my eye doc tells me there are several new extra-moist lenses on the market specifically addressing this problem.

Just as natural menopause is an important time to re-evaluate things like your vision correction, so is surgical menopause when, even though we may be taking hormones, many things have changed in our bodies. You do need to be sure that it's not some other underlying disorder (there are several autoimmune disorders that are notable for dry eye symptoms), but you may find that it has simply come to the time in your life when you need to make changes to accommodate your body's changing needs.

If you feel that you are otherwise balanced on your current hrt, then I would not rush into changing it on this account. It would be far more appropriate to see your eye doctor and make whatever adjustments are necessary in your eye care. If you feel that this is part of an overall dryness that also involves vaginal tissues or your skin generally, then looking at hormones in addition to checking your eyes is indicated. Let us know, in any case, what you do and what helps--you're not the only contact wearer experiencing this, I'm sure. [blue]
Unread 09-05-2000, 06:54 PM

Just wanting to kept updated on any new information on extra-moist contact lenses. Please let us know if you find help. I may not be as old as I think ! Thanks for the info Savh. I will talk with my eye doctor on my next visit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register