Agonising about surgery. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Agonising about surgery. Agonising about surgery.

Unread 04-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Agonising about surgery.

This will seem trivial to some - I apologise - but I am consumed with desperate second thoughts about my surgery at the moment. I have a 12.6 cm fluid filled cyst with some solid matter on my left ovary and a ca125 of 80: the gyn/onc says cancer is a possibility. I have signed up for a TAH / BSO with lymph and omentum sampling in just over a week's time.

Do I really have to do this? Surely just the removal of the left ovary and tube plus cyst would be sufficient (plus maybe biopsies) for now? I signed up for this in a total cancer panic. Now I don't believe I have cancer: I feel so well. I don't want unnecessary surgery. I saw my parents and brother die of cancer and their doctors do some terrible things. I hate the feeling of being out of control. Am I in denial? If the worst came to the worst and I had to have a second operation, would this really be so bad? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Agonising about surgery.

Oh Latina...

I hear your words and all the feelings that I had a year ago came flooding back to me.

Unfortunately they will not know if the mass is cancerous or not until they go in and biopsy it. My doc knew right away by looking at my mass and the frozen section, during surgery definately confirmed it. My pathology report, after the surgery was good though. All cells mimiced normal cells and the cancer had not spread except for a few specs into the abdomen wall.

My ca125 after surgery but before chemo was 454. After my first chemo the number went down to 43. I said the same thing you did... Do I really have cancer???? Maybe they got it all??? Should I really continue with this chemo??? Well the answer way a big YES to everything.

I can understand your fears, we all went through the same thing.

Rosalie
Unread 04-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Agonising about surgery.

Rosalie is so right. We all have the same feelings. After my surgery I had myself convinced that they got all my cancer and I didn't need chemo. The mind is very good at playing games.

Continue with your doctors recommendations. Surgeons really don't do more surgery than is needed. And if cancer is found, follow those recommendations also.

We are behind you and understand your feelings.
Hang in there.

Ruth S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Agonising about surgery.

s Latina

Your cyst is too large to be removed laproscopically. Plus if they attempted a laproscopic removal, and it were cancerous, spillage could be a huge problem.
During your laporotomy your ovarian mass will be removed first. And a frozen section will be done on this immediately. If the cyst proves to be benign, there will be no reason for further surgery. That's assuming everything else looks normal.
No, you don't need to proceed with a TAH if things look normal and the mass is benign.
Just make your feelings clearly known to your doctor. But give him permission to proceed with the radical surgery if debulking and staging are necessary.

karenann
Unread 04-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Yes, It's a Hard Choice

and yet I think the correct one is to proceed with the TAH/BSO. The doctor will at that time be able to remove anything else that looks suspicious, do lymph nodes, and check everything for cancer. Maybe it is cancer, maybe not, but then you have just the one surgery and will know for sure that they have done their best on the first try. Best wishes.
Unread 04-22-2003, 04:24 PM
Agonising about surgery.

I could have avoided surgery by doing a less invasive procedure. As it turned out, I probably could have done something less invasive, however I chose to be safe. I don't regret it. I am healthy and have peace of mind. I never would have known for sure that I was cancer free had I not had the hyster.
Unread 04-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Agonising about surgery.

I didn't have a choice with my surgeries, but I know how your mind can 2nd guess itself. I think for peace of mind you should have the surgery
Unread 04-23-2003, 05:35 AM
Agonising about surgery.

{{Latina}},
Your second guessing sounds so familiar. But.... agreeing with everyone who posted before me, you should have the surgery. If it's not cancer, you're fine; if it is cancer, you'll be weeks, maybe months, ahead of the game. Cancer is an enemy you don't want to turn your back on.

We're all here with you. Keep the faith.
s,
Laura
Unread 04-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Agonising about surgery.

I think that you will have doubts at times whichever decision you make. If you have the lot out you will wonder if you were being over-cautious. If you don't you will worry about being under cautious.

Make your fears fully known to your doctors and then trust their judgement.

There's a good question I sometimes ask that I know the doctors hate!:

"If you were in my position, what would you do?"

Lydia
Unread 04-23-2003, 07:20 AM
tah/bso

Latina
My right ovary was bigger than a cantelope, I had a tah/bso and a pelvic washing on 4/3. I had no choice in this. I had a large vertical incision because the mass was so big. My lymph nodes were to be checked before closing if the first test looked like it was cancer, it did not so I guess the lymph nodes were not checked. However at my 1 week check up, my dr. said that it was just beginning to turn into ovarian cancer but I would not need any treatments. I'm still a little concerned. I'm glad they took everything when they did the surgery, I just don't want them to have to go back. Good luck to you and I know all this is scary. Hope all goes well and I will pray for you. Keep in touch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register