Agonising about surgery. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Agonising about surgery. Agonising about surgery.

Unread 04-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Agonising about surgery.

Latina,

I am two weeks post op today. I had a TAH BSO plus had the omentum removed. They did a frozen section during surgery which showed that the cyst was benign. My CA125 was normal.

Do I regret having had the surgery? Not for a single second. I am already feeling myself. I haven't had bad hot flashes. The bottom line is if cancer were to show up in the future....would you have regrets about not having had the surgery? My answer to that question was yes.

It sounds like you have a family history of cancer. I have had previous cancers and did not want to constantly worry about the possibilities of Uterine or ovarian cancers. The difficult thing about female cancers is that they are silent. There is rarely pain associated with them until they are in later stages. Even from all of the postings on Hystersisters, it seem that those with the most discomfort are the ones with the huge benign fibroids.

It is normal to have doubts. Don't underestimate the value of peace of mind. Our hope for you is that it is benign!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Agonising about surgery.

Thank-you so much all of you for taking the trouble to reply. I'm still mulling it all over, but feeling strengthened by your interest and understanding.

I have a specific question: can anyone tell me, what exactly is a "frozen section" and is it routine in surgery where cancer is suspected?
Unread 04-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Agonising about surgery.

My understanding is that a frozen section is when they do a rapid freezing of the tissues while you are in surgery, then take a thin slice to view it under the microscope to see if there are any abnormal cells. In my case, it was used to determine whether they needed to do a lymph node dissection for staging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 09:22 AM
I said why did I do it at first.......

When I awoke from surgery I was told that I didn't have ovca. I thought that was wonderful but why did I have the surgery???? Well I found out the following monday, I had cervical ca instead.

Not to say that you will, but ask your self what has really brought you to this decision to begin with. Even if I had not had cervical cancer I am for ever thankful that I had my surgery. For the past two years, prior to surgery, I have had really painful periods, some to the point of not being able to do anything.

I, unlike you, did not have time to worry, agonize over and over about the surgery. Some days I wish that I did, (they could have found the cervical ca before surgery and physically checked nodes) meet with gyn/onc on monday had surgery on thursday same week.
Unread 04-23-2003, 09:28 AM
Agonising about surgery.

Latina:

I faced the same thing that you are now with my surgery last year. The final persuasion was this: in the face of a complex mass (mine was similar in size) and an elevated CA-125 (mine was 200), if it isn't cancer, odds are that it is a form of endometriosis. And the surgeon's advice to me was that, if my ovaries could produce a cyst this size once, it was possible to do it again -- she predicted that I'd have to go BACK to surgery within another year. As it turned out, all my organs were "frozen" together by endo and adhesions, and came out in one large block anyway. Had they tried to remove just the cyst, there would have been spillage of endometrial cells throughout my peritoneum, and I never would have gotten rid of the endo under the circumstances.

The "frozen section" is a rapid response to help your surgeon decide exactly what surgery needs to be done. It only takes a few minutes to take a tissue sample and look under the microscope for malignancy...then they proceed on with whatever surgery you've all decided on.

Good luck to you...I know that I went through the whole second-guessing process a LOT prior to my surgery, but I also knew that I'd just be going through it all over again with my endo history...and I just wanted to be free, free of the worry of cancer and finally free of the pain and bleeding that my adenomyosis (as pathology turned out to show) was causing.

Hope this helps, and you'll be in my thoughts and ers.

Audrey
Unread 04-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Agonising about surgery.

Dear Latina,

I know that the doctors will do their utmost to take only what is necessary. That may well be everything, but if so, don't despair. They will most likely do the frozen section and proceed only once they determine what's actually going on.

I had to sign off on my doctors removing a lot of stuff, but they took great pains to let me know that they'd only remove what was necessary. In my case, it was necessary that they remove everything. I hope that in your case, it is not necessary. But surgery will at least tell you once and for all what you have.

We are always thinking about you, dear Latina. I will be praying especially hard for you as May 1 rolls around the corner.

s!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register