unbelieveable!! Doc thinks Im allergic to paxil! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

unbelieveable!! Doc thinks Im allergic to paxil! unbelieveable!! Doc thinks Im allergic to paxil!

Unread 04-22-2003, 03:39 PM
unbelieveable!! Doc thinks Im allergic to paxil!

Can you believe I have a probable allergy to the Paxil I was perscribed???

Apparently what I have been feeling is not an adjustment to the stuff like most...I keep getting the feeling I want to swallow my toungue, sleeping like 13 hours a day, migraines like I haven't had since surgery, just to name a few...SHEESH What next???

All week long I've been looking to starting to feeling better and I'm getting worse...will none of this end??? I can't seem to drive, concentrate, or hold a thought mentally. <big sigh>

I see the doc at 8am tomorrow so she can perscribe something else...but now I'm nervous about trying anything at all. Then the pharmacist tells me that takeing the Ultram and the paxil could cause siezures when taken together!!!

Thanks for the vent...I'm just sorta to the point of why bother????

for listening...

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2003, 04:23 PM

{{{Dawn}}}
I'm so sorry. How awful for you. Unfortunately when it comes to meds it can take some mixing and matching to find the right combo that will work for you. I am glad that you called the doctor.

I have a very sensitive so I can kind of relate. I can also remember having a very bad reaction when my doc prescribed me Elavil. It turned me into devil woman!

Sending lots of s your way.
Unread 04-22-2003, 04:42 PM

Well, this time talk to your pharmacist before taking your prescription! Find out if the drug prescribed is related to Paxil and what it interacts with! I know doctors who get angry when their patients consult the pharmacist. It's been a lifesaver for me on more than one occasion!

And as you say, why bother? That is a legitimate question. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

Hope you're feeling better soon - somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2003, 05:50 PM

Hi (((Dawn))) boy what surprising news that must have been

Quote:
TRAMADOL (in Ultram) may interact with PAROXETINE HYDROCHLORIDE (in Paxil)

Both paroxetine and tramadol have an effect on serotonin, a chemical that is found in the brain. Excess levels of serotonin in the brain may cause serious or potentially life-threatening side effects. Early signs of this problem include increased confusion and restlessness. Other possible symptoms may include weakness, fever, nausea, and anxiety. In rare cases, high levels of serotonin in the brain may cause severe complications like seizures, stroke, and even death. If paroxetine and tramadol are used together, your doctor may want to closely monitor you for side effects. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered major in severity.
I got this from this very useful website for checking drug interactions:

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs

It can also tell you if a med will interact with food, alcohol or even your HRT. I check it all the time! Asking the pharmacist works too, but I'm always afraid I'll catch one at a moment when they're distracted and they may not think of every possible interaction.... like finding out that you shouldn't drink grapefruit juice with your Estrace pills (who'da known? )

I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and your DR can prescribe something that will work well and not interact with anything else you're taking.
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-22-2003, 11:22 PM

Same thing happened to me on Paxil!!

I took it for almost a week and then felt like grinding it up into powder and burying it in the backyard but I was afraid it would kill the bugs and grass..

It gave me the HORRIBLE migraines I used to get, as well as all of th symptoms you described. I was switched to Zoloft and did great! No problems what so ever from it. I am now on the road to switching again (was on Zoloft for almost a year and a half) and going on Wellbutrin.

I ALWASY take my med list with me everywhere I go. I keep it in my wallet and show EVERY pharmasist my list to be sure there are no interactions and to make sure what to look out for as far as symptoms.

I hope you find something that helps without making it worse for you!!
Unread 04-23-2003, 02:29 PM

Oh dear (((Dawn))), you sure seem to be going through the wringer. Hopefully the doc will be able to put you on something else that will help. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I tried Paxil several years ago and simply couldn't tolerate it. Made me EXETREMELY fidgety and wired feeling. Buspar was the same story. However, I tolerated Zoloft well and am now on Effexor XR with no problems. I also take Ultram and haven't had any problems taking the two of them together. Of course, everyone is different. Good luck sweetie!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register