Is there anyone who has had this 6month post -op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is there anyone who has had this 6month post -op Is there anyone who has had this 6month post -op

Unread 04-22-2003, 10:47 PM
Is there anyone who has had this 6month post -op

After I had my hysterectomy last October, I felt really wonderful. However, the past few months seem to be getting worse. Every so often I get sharp shooting pains in my ovaries if I turn to quickly. Sometimes I get pains down my left leg. It was my left ovary that had a cyst the size of a quarter that had to be removed. I have had a tubal ligation in the past. My Docter said that since I am only 39 I need to keep my ovaries but they will probably be taken out in 5- 10 years. She said it is better to have my natural hormones as long as I can. These past few weeks I have been totally exhausted and have a hard time with memory. It seems my sex drive which had greatly improved is also waning probablybecause of the fatigue. However, I have noticed that it is becoming uncomfortable. Even my chest gets sore every so often just like it used to before my periods. I even get so tired I just want to cry. I know I'm not depressed, I have so many exciting things I want to do. I'm just tired these days. I don't want to be tired anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 06:08 AM
To Cathleen RC, Boy can I relate!!!!!

Dear Cathleen ,
I had a TAH in September, Felt great for a few months and now I am feeling the EXACT same way!!!!!!! I'd like to know what is going on too. I use to have a lot of energy, now... I'm lucky I can get out of bed. I kept my ovaries too. I've had one cyst that ruptured. How do we know if and when the ovaries start to shut down? Let me know if you get any info on this, cause I have not been able to get any answers.
Take Care,
Diane
Unread 04-23-2003, 06:55 AM

Hello Sisters!

I had a TAH 2 years ago next month. I have also developed a cyst on my remaining ovaries (Actually, I had one on my rt ovary that went away and now have another that has popped up on my left one).

Anywho, I spoke with the doc about my other side effects of the cyst. He said that with the cyst there, I could experience some symptoms of menopause & PMS - short memory, hot flashes, fatigue, and mood swings - because the ovary may not function properly. I know the mood swings have really hit me hard. :cry: I can be laughing one minute and ready to cry the next. I have also noticed some "menstrual pain" - breast tenderness and muscle pain in my thighs - just like I used to get at that time of month.

My doc also wants me to keep my own ovaries as long as possible (I'm 33). So, I am just sitting it out and dealing with it. It seems to only last a couple of weeks and then I am feeling great again for awhile until it comes around again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 08:16 AM

I was really glad to read the replys and see that I was not crazy. I have been looking for information and I am having a hard time finding it. I am fixing to look for a part-time job and I am really worried as I am so tired all the time. After my TAH last fall I was told I had vericrose veins on my uterus which I also had a hard time finding information on that. I had never had heard of that. My pastors wife said she actually knew one other lady that had that. They also found andeomyosis(spelling?) along with the cyst that they removed. I was so glad they found something as for so many years people kept telling me it was all stress. So even though I feel better than I did before my hysterectomy, I am starting to feel bad again. I just wish I could do something like now. Any info is so appreciated.
Unread 04-23-2003, 08:24 AM

Cathleen,
I've decided to go to my Dr. and demand that all hormone levels be checked and also my thyroid. There is a possibility that the ovaries could shut down prematurely after a hysterectomy, in which case you would experience a lot of the symptoms we are having. I am 40 I don't recall if you gave your age, All I know is I don't want to go on like this. I feel like I have PMS 24-7 . Keep in touch it sounds like we are in the exact same boat, and we had our hysts about 4 weeks apart.
Take Care of You!!!!
Diane
Unread 04-23-2003, 09:20 AM
me too

Ladies,

I just had to reply to this post!!

I had TAH/RSO last Oct 11, and also felt great til recently. I still have my left ovary. My surgeon said also there were a lot of varicosities to my right ovary and tube and they could not stop the bleeding from there during surgery which is why they had to be removed. I had a HUGE fibroid (20 cm) that had been putting pressure there for months.
Anyway, I started experiencing the mood swings, bad temper, waking up at night and general anxiety, also. I just turned 42 in March. It had never occurred to me that my remaining ovary could fail, it was always assured to me that one ovary was enough and not to worry. So, I went to my doc 3 weeks ago to get things checked and sure enough my hormones indicate I am post-menopausal!! Now I am in the hormone jungle. I honestly can say I felt instantly better when I put the Climara patch on - started sleeping better that very night.

As for pain, I am having some sharp pains at the incision if I make a sudden movement, sometimes. I am an exercise freak - run 5 miles a day and do weights. That is the other thing... my belly keeps expanding and I have never had a belly this big in my life!!!

Keep in touch,

Maureen

Unread 04-23-2003, 12:25 PM

Thanks Maureen
I have a funny feeling this has something to do with my ovaries. I went to the Dr. because of pain on my left side. They said I had an ovarian cyst that ruptured, But during the sono the tech said my ovaries looked small. Any way I'll just have to wait and see. I am going to make sure they check ALL hormone levels to see if ovaries are still functioning. By the way, when was your birthday in March? I was 40 March 20th, Keep in touch and thank you for responding. Who knows I might end up bumping into you on the hormone jungle!!!!!!!!!!!

Diane

Unread 04-23-2003, 12:51 PM
it is a jungle

Hi Diane,

I was 42 on March 11. You?? I had my FSH, and Estriol, and LH levels checked. Might be worth checking thyroid function as well. I am thinking this Vivelle dot dose might be toolowand gotta wait a few weeks to further assess. The sleeping is not so good, again...
Please let me know how things go, OK??

Maureen
Unread 04-23-2003, 01:24 PM

Wow ladies! I am very grateful to read your posts. I will probably schedule an appointment and get my hormone levels checked out. This is only my second day to use this website. I should have done this a long time ago. Today has been a hard day as all I felt like doing was sleeping. My husband is a little worried and is suggesting I start taking mega vitamins. I was walking up to three miles a day with my walking video. That is temporarily out the door right now. It's great reading all the posts. Thank-you!
Unread 04-23-2003, 03:49 PM

Are you doing the "Walk Away The Pounds " video? The three mile walk? I was doing that every day for about two months. (back when I was feeling great) Now I feel like someone has sucked all the energy from my body! It is horrible. Can't wait to see if we all get the same answers when we get our hormones checked. I don't think my husband can handle the mood swings any more. I feel like I have a split personality!
Let's stay in touch and see how we make out.

DIANE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register