Need Advice. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Need Advice.

Hi Sisters,

I had my surgery on Aug 15th/02, TVH, kept the ovaries, bladder and recetal repairs. I have had a public catheter after surgery and it was taken out 8 days later. That day I went to emerg and had a foly catheter put in for 7 more days and had x-rays done showing gas in the bladder and small and large intestines. I was tested for a urine infection but the paperwork got messed up and I wasn't informed until 3 weeks later. That was a fluke because I went to my GP because of my pain and he started me on anti-biotics.

To make a long story short. I finally got a referral to an Urinoligist and found out 5 months later that I had an on-going bladder infection and the lining on the bladder was damagaged due to the surgery or the infection. I have been taking Proloprim 100mg @ bedtime since mid Jan. and will be on them until June. That's my next appt with the Urinoligist. The Proloprim helped with the incontinence but, now I bloat from my tummy to my rib cage. I look 6 months pregnant!! I have been reading about long use of anti-biotics causes gas/bloating and I have been trying not to eat foods or drinks that will cause gas. I started Yoga, I massage the areas, walk, drink water and take "Gas X". I need to get some relief, I need to "toot" more!!!

Has anyone had these difficulty? Is there something I have missed? I can't drink peppermint tea, I doesn't agree with me.
My GP doesn't seemed to care! I guess if it's not his body, there isn't a problem.

I am getting furstrated and want to fell good again!
Thanks for listening.

Couters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 08:57 PM
Need Advice.

Couters,

I am sorry you are continuing to have such problems after your surgery dear. Maybe since your GP isn't responding to your complaints you could give your URO DR a call and get his opinion. Maybe he could shed a on the extended anti-biotics issue or any other meds issues(like what you are taking) and whether they are relevant to your swollen belly.

I hope you get some answers soon, it is uncomfortable to feel bloated all the time I imagine and you are worth it to get the answer you deserve.

s,
lenee
Unread 04-24-2003, 04:13 AM
Need Advice.

Hi

Just a thought. If you've been on antibiotics for a long time your friendly intestinal bacteria have probably been killed off with together with all the baddies. Are you taking acidophilis, biofidus etc. to replace them? Yoghurt contains friendly bacteria as well. That could well explain the bloating. A trip to the health store could be a good thing.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2003, 04:58 AM
help for bloating

hey
I had gallbladder surgery in Oct 02. Afterwards I had so much gas and bloating very disgusting. I didn't know at the time that I also had female problems but I saw an article in a magazine about cranberry juice. I have been drinking it ever since. I get the kind with no sugar added and drink it off and on thru the day. However, since my tah/bso due to a large ovarian tumor, I don't have the gas and bloating like I did. I'm sure the cranberry juice would be wonderful for you bladder also. Wish you all the best and soo sorry you're having problems. Hope this helps a little.
Unread 04-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Need Advice.

Thanks Sisters,

I am going to try to get to the Health Food store this weekend and stock up on yogurt.

It's sometimes hard because DH needs the van for work and trying to keep the 3 kidlets and the house organized. My middle daughter is having her birthday party on Sun. with 8-5 yr olds.

I am just run down and a bit depressed over this. Thank-you for the advice. I needed to hear a women's point of view.

Take care, Couters
Unread 04-25-2003, 10:21 PM
Need Advice.

Hi Couters

Make sure you get natural yoghurt and not the stuff that's full of sugar. A lot of yoghurts have acidophilus, lactobacillus and biofidus (not sure if I've spelt them right) added and that should be on the label. It might also be a good idea to actually get some tablets containing all these friendly bacteria. They have millions of these bacteria in them, much easier to get a good dose of them initially and then use the yoghurt to keep them going.

It'll be really interesting to see if this helps. You certainly have all the symptoms of gastric problems following antibiotic use. Good luck and let's know how you go.

Unread 04-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Need Advice.

(((((Couters))))))) I'm so sorry you're not feeling good I've been dealing with a bug that causes gastritis, among other things, and know just how bad it is. It must be so much worse for you since you've been dealing with it for so long

I agree that replacing those good bacteria might be the :key: to solving this problem. However, I would also ask another doctor for a second opinion on this. I know how hard it is to get in for a consultation in but it might be a good idea to the 24 hour health services now available in Ontario. We've had this service for a very long time in Québec and, many a times, it's been a life saver for me.

Sending lots of healing ((((((hugs)))))) your way. Hopefully you'll be feeling a whole lot better real soon.
Unread 04-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Need Advice.

I have to agree with Silverfern that a trip to the health store may be in order.
I had severe gas problems when I ate or drank anything after my colonoscopy and endoscopy ruled out the usual causes. I had been put on whopping dose of antibiotics to kill whatever was causing my problems. My gatro recommended that I take some friendly acidophilis bacteria capsules to help my stomach work better. They work like a charm and are easy to take. I recommend that you visit a health food or vitamin store (I got mine at GNC) and follow the advice on the bottle.
Unread 04-26-2003, 01:37 PM
JUST A FEW SUGGESTIONS

HI JUST A FEW SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU DISCOMFORT.I HAVE HAD SINCE MY HYSTER ALMOST 11 MTHS AGO(LEFT WITH ONE OVARY)ALOT OF DISCOMFORT WITH MY STOMACH(GASES AND BLOATING)I TAKE ALFALFA CAPSULES. 1 A DAY.IT SETTLES THE GASES AND BLOATING. THERE IS ALSO A NATURAL DIRUETIC AFFECT TO THEM. ALSO I CHEW ON PAPAYA STEMS FOR DISCOMFORT AND ALONG WITH THAT I DRINK A GLASS OF WARM WATER. I HEAT IT IN THE MICROWAVE.NOT TOO HOT.IT SEEMS TO HAVE A CALMING AFFECT ON MY BODY. I BUY THE PAPAYA AND ALFALFA AT A HEALTH FOOD STORE.ALFALFA IS GREAT FOR ALL KINDS OF CONDITIONS AND ALSO HELP WITH MENOPAUSAL SYMTOMS.LOL! GOD KNOWS I NEED THEM FOR THAT. MY OVARY SHUT DOWN 2 MTHS AGO..BUT THESE ARE JUST A FEW IDEAS FOR YOU. MORE NATURAL. TAKE CARE. WISH YOU WELL SOON. HUGS TO YOU..ALWAYS..ANGEL
Unread 05-02-2003, 08:34 AM
Need Advice.

Thanks again, Sisters for you ideas!

I have been making yogourt smoothies with mango and bananas.
It seems to be helping.

Dany, I will phone the Ontario Health number. It will be the 1st time I'll be phoning for myself. LOL. It has been for both my DD's with cut lips. They were fine and we didn't have to go to the hospital.

Angeleyes, Thanks for the suggestion of Alfalfa and Papaya and had forgot about their usefulness. I guess when your feeling down and frustrated,you can't think straight. That is why this site is so wonderful! It's nice to hear other ideas.

Thanks again, I see the Urinologist on June 9th. Not long now!

Take care and s,

Couters

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register