Encouragement | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Encouragement Encouragement

Unread 04-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Encouragement

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy, keeping ovaries, on April 1. I am now 22 days post-op and I feel TERRIFIC! It was truly the best thing I could have done, and honestly the recovery was so very easy, even immediately post-op.

For all you LIW's, ESPECIALLY if you are having a vaginal procedure, I am offering some encouragement to you, I know you are browsing like crazy and you will have a tendency to run across a lot of horror stories, but believe me, these things are in the small percentages!

My doctor did not even have to do a laparoscopic assist, I had a previous C-section with scarring, and that was not an issue with the surgery, he was able to remove the scarring and remove the uterus without a problem. It just took a little bit longer, more patience and skill, and I came out without any problems. No bandaids, no exterior stitches, very little discomfort after the first day.

I had a catheter in that was removed the next day. I got up and out of bed very easily, even after they had removed the morphine pump. I had pain pills for two days, that was it. Beyond that, nothing but some Ibuprofen if I got "twingy". I was a little sore for about a week, had no problems with constipation once things got going again (It took about 4 days for my bowels to "wake up" and have to really work again). I simply took a stool softener, no issues there. No catheter problems, believe me, it was a non-issue.

Only threw up a little bit of fluid post-op twice, but I was very sleepy and tired, it was not something that stressed me. (And I'm a big baby with that) I just said "Oh nurse...uh...." and they gave me something, that was the end of it. (There was something in my IV when I was put out that took care of nausea).

After the first week, I was not so tired, as all the meds start going out of the system. After two weeks, felt some twinges because stitches start to dissolve. Now at 3 weeks, honestly, I do not feel as if I ever had surgery, except I feel BETTER!! No more pain, constant discomfort, bloating, of course no bleeding. (I never bled once, not even a spot, after surgery).

I am still being careful not to lift heavy items (Nothing over 20 pounds for another 3 weeks, says the doctor). I walk a lot, drink a lot of liquids (THIS HELPS SOOOO VERY MUCH, BOTH THESE THINGS WILL BE YOUR GODSEND TO RECOVERY).

Coughing and sneezing hurt that first week. Have a pillow handy.

Kids and hubby fetched water and etc for me whenever I was too tired to really get up and get it myself. But like I said, after a week, I was totally back to feeling like myself. I did light housework again, light cooking, folded laundry (but no lifting laundry until this week).

Went grocery shopping at 1 1/2 weeks with no problems.

Just thought you'd all appreciate the encouragement from someone that's been there. The waiting will soon pass, and you will honestly feel like a new woman. It is SOOOOOO worth it.

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 05:08 PM
Encouragement

Thanks Pam...that was very encouraging! I hope we all have it like you did =)
Unread 04-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Encouragement

I love hearing the positive stories! Thanks so much Pam for posting this. I am having a TVH and keeping ovaries on June 9th. Ive been very nervous and its such a long wait. Right now Im in misery most every day... I can only hope my recovery is as smoothe as yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Encouragement

Pam,

Thanks for the encouraging words. They really help. I'm schduled for a LAVH BSO on April 25th (in TWO days!). I'm getting a bit nervous and was having trouble finding info about a vaginal procedure (most seem to be abdominal). I hope mine is as smooth as yours. Take Care.
Unread 04-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Thank You

I am scheduled for a LVH in July and we are scheduled to go on a one week camping vacation. (no hiking involved, just drive to our site and there are baths and showers there). We are going about three and a half weeks after my surgery and I hope I am feeling that good. My husband was worried about how things would get done, I just laughed and said that he and the boys would have to do all the lifting and setting up. Gee, Maybe it won't be a bad vacation after all.

Thanks
Memere
Unread 04-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Encouragement

hi pam.... what a fantastic post..... i to have had a smooth recovery.... a vh/b.repair on 20/02... 9 weeks on i feel like a new woman... life is great and pain free.... to all you liw.... the waiting is the worst part as you will all discover.... thoughts and best wishes to you all... mary. xx
Unread 04-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Encouragement

Thank you for taking the time to be positive. Count me in to the TVH, keep ovaries crowd and hoping for a great recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register